Author Topic: Transducer cable how fragile?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
Transducer cable how fragile?
« on: Feb 02, 2019, 06:57 PM »
Was out fishing the morning, and did not realize that the transducer cable had become partially frozen in the hole. When I tried to pull it out there was abit of stress on it before I realized that it was frozen in.It finally snapped out from the tension, but wondering if this could have damaged it in anyway. Would hate to have to buy a new one because of my stupidity, but just how strong is the transducer cable and cone  Are they designed to take much stress,or do you need to extra careful when handling it. I was using an Ice 35 at the time
Thanks

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Transducer cable how fragile?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:08 PM »
I'd try it and see how it works, they're pretty tough my daughter wrapped mine up in a line with a big trout, cut it up a bit, but it still worked.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Always try to be as gental as possible, push down around the cable with your thumb to break ice. If you have breaks or cuts in the outer coating problems are soon to follow.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:47 AM »
The cables are different between manufacturers. I bought the Lowrance kit with transducer two years ago. While reeling in a fish my line got wrapped around the cable. The line cut the insulation on the ducer cable and it stopped working. The cable seemed to be really soft. Luckily, Lowrance sent me a new ducer under warranty. I have since added a piece of plastic conduit to the cable right above the ducer and used electrical tape to wrap it up. The only problem is that the 6" piece of conduit has a slight bend to it from when it was on a spool.

I also have a Showdown and have never had a problem with that cable. The insulation on the cable is "glossy" and seems to be tougher. I think I've had it for 10 years now.
jbird68

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:15 AM »
THe other day I broke my cable wire just as it goes into the Showdown Marcum. You could see the wires in there. It wouldn't work it would come on but instantly shut off. I got it home and put shoe Glue around the top of it. SO far it is working fine. I will have to try it in the sink to be sure but I think it is going to be a good fix.
<===Lefty===

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2019, 06:31 AM »

Lefty I hope you get through the rest of the season , keep an eye out for a sale , just in case down the road you know ,

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2019, 07:07 AM »
I had the same thing happen to my 35 last season. No noticeable problems since, but I am more careful now to make sure to use the foam float and not let the cable hang on the side of the hole.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:00 PM »
I have a holder that supports my Showdown in a readable position- I have to remove the back to remove the unit. When I was reassembling, I put a wood screw dead center through the cable. Of course, it would not work, but I removed the screw, and sealed the hole with liquid electrical tape. I have been using it since with no problems.

It was tougher than I thought.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:29 PM »
I put 10'' of Spiral Wire Wrap above m transducer and shoe gooped it to the puck.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2019, 02:56 PM »
I put 10'' of Spiral Wire Wrap above m transducer and shoe gooped it to the puck.

That's a great idea.

Offline GP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I was out again this morning and the ducer appears to be working. I thought for sure the puck or cable would be stretched or damaged  beyond repair, with the amount of tension applied the day before. I won't make that mistake again. Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2019, 08:38 AM »
I've cut and spliced several....its just two wires, shielding foil and insulation around the bundle

Catchin' Fish

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2019, 09:25 AM »
THe other day I broke my cable wire just as it goes into the Showdown Marcum. You could see the wires in there. It wouldn't work it would come on but instantly shut off. I got it home and put shoe Glue around the top of it. SO far it is working fine. I will have to try it in the sink to be sure but I think it is going to be a good fix.
Shoe goo is so good it should be illegal.  I fix everything, and I mean everything with it, Geo,

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Shoe goo is so good it should be illegal.  I fix everything, and I mean everything with it, Geo,
I also used it on my Hiking shoes that started to come apart. Fixed my Sorel boot that I cut with my auger, no water gets in anymore.
<===Lefty===

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2019, 07:24 AM »

Does it fix dogs?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2019, 09:10 AM »
i would buy/make an arm to hold it in center of hole and up high so it's just wet.

you can do the floor test to check it.

Offline geo315

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • He is on his way.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:18 AM »

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2019, 10:56 AM »
Does it fix dogs?
Yeah it should plug up either sex. A little dab will do ya.
<===Lefty===

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Take my word for it, you need a couple of tubes to fix a big dog. Shoe goop is like liquid duct tape.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.