Author Topic: Auger help (w/ new questions and video)  (Read 2388 times)

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
Auger help (w/ new questions and video)
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 01:58 PM »
The last thing I needed was the auger to break, rib injury, hard to work the old hand powered auger these days.  

Here is the story.  

Between the auger bit and motor, there has always been a slight gap, but no up and down play, just a gap. Suddenly, there is a much bigger gap, and you can get about a inch to inch and half of play, slide, or whatever you want to call it. The pics don't show this, but it looks like there was something there, I just don't know what. Or something broke on the inside which is allowing the shaft to slide up and down a bit. It still runs and spins, but I don't want (nor do I think I should) use it in this condition.

Pic 1, normal amount of gap between auger and motor. Pic 2 had much more.

Any ideas?????

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Auger help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Looks to me like the auger bit has slipped on the motor shaft.  I would look at whatever secures the auger to the motor shaft - bolt? pin?  Maybe it is broken or just loose.

Good luck.

Keith

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:06 PM »
My guess is the lock collar on the shaft has come loose. I would not run the auger in this condition as it could take out the entire gear/clutch assembly.

dc

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Take a look and see if the shaft moves in out of the gear case or in and out of the auger shaft. It it move in the gear case it has come loose from the the driven gear. You should be able to split the case and replace the snap ring. If it moves in the auger the bolt may have sheared and needs reattaching.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2010, 11:21 PM »
What make of auger?
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:13 AM »
It is moving in and out of the gear case, not the auger bit. 

So it looks like splitting the case is my next move.  I took a look at it last night and would there be some sort of sealant or something to put back on the case when you re-attach it?  Just something to seal it. 

Oh, as for the brand, its olders, so not sure who is who anymore.  The motor itself says badger, which I believe is a feldman produced motor, which also may tie it in to Jiffy, or maybe Feldman just produces for both of them.  Badger Plus is the model, #81, this is it

http://www.badgeraugers.com/augers.htm

Anyway, I'll split it open and report back here.  Probably not tonight, better fish tonight and save this for the really cold days coming. 

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:54 AM »
OK, so I took the gear case out.  This lead me to nothing obvious, but maybe. 

Here is a quick video of the inside.  The only thing is, where at the end I say it doesn't appear that anything is sheared off from here, that may actually be what happened.  I removed a bit more of the grease, and there may have been something there.   No obvious metal flakes I couldn't find in the piles of grease, so if it did shear, it wasn't a break, but a gradual wearing away. 

Video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgM83wn89MM

Questions:

Would that just be bearing grease inside, I assume I should top it off when/if I get it fixed.

If that part is sheared and the problem, can you generally find parts like this locally or would I need to order it, and any guesses on what that part/piece would be called. 

If it could be something else, let me know. 

Thanks

Offline springer7515

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Auger help (w/ new questions and video)
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Is there a groove in the shaft where a snap ring would go?

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Is there a groove in the shaft where a snap ring would go?

I don't think so, but can't say with certainty.  If there should be one, I assume it would be outside/below the case, not on the inside, correct?  The amount of slide/movement seems to be more area than a snap ring would take up, unless my idea of the snap ring your are thinking of is different. 

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:09 AM »
More info, here is a diagram of a Badger auger (which mine is).  Notice part # 17 appears to have only a shaft going down, nothing to shear off as may be the case on my "main gear and shaft assembly".  From this it appears there is nothing missing on mine.  Here is the diagram.

http://www.amleo.com/help-desk/items/3/3048/3048.pdf

Now, here is a jiffy manual, and if you look at the same part here, part #34, it appears there is a piece that comes up off the "main gear shaft and assembly".  Here is that diagram. 

http://www.jiffyonice.com/Jiffy30SeriesManual.pdf

The Jiffy pinion system is different then the Badger, the badger part #16 i have for sure, but the jiffy appears to work differently.

And then I found this picture.  It almost appears there is some piece that was sheared off, just looking at the position of the parts at rest.  Where I circled would be the sheared part, the arrows show that there should be a gap there.  If the picture shows up bad you can also see it here http://www.wikco.com/badg.html

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:17 AM »
One last bump now that the shanty is back running.  Any more thoughts on this??

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:26 AM »
I would say that the bolt that holds the auger on the shaft is sheared off. Take the bolt out and buy a new one. Don't use a hardened bolt!!!! If the bolt don't break, something else will, Like gears. Let us know!

the gap you circled looks normal.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 01:19 PM »
I would say that the bolt that holds the auger on the shaft is sheared off. Take the bolt out and buy a new one. Don't use a hardened bolt!!!! If the bolt don't break, something else will, Like gears. Let us know!

the gap you circled looks normal.

That bolt is good that holds it together. 

As for the gap I circled.  I don't actually think there should be a gap, but its hard to tell in that picture.  If I look close enough, i think there is a piece coming up that presses against the part coming down.  If the gap were to be normal, then that is what allows the auger to move, and in turn what I am experiencing would be normal.  Not sure if that makes sense. 

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:08 AM »
If you have taken out the bolt for the auger, and it is good, in other words it could be sheered off.

Looking at the schematic, the bearing is pressed in against the flange. Then pushed into the case and the gear is fastened to the shaft by some means? I don't know if they pressed the gear on or it has some sort off set screws to hold it. But if it is not the auger bolt, the gear came loose inside the case, from the shaft. That would also explain your gap.
 It may be splined so you could tap it back in lightly?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.