Author Topic: Where to fish at Willow Creek?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to fish at Willow Creek?
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:24 AM »
I want to make a trip to Willow Creek this week with my daughter; can anyone tell me where to go around there?

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
Re: Where to fish at Willow Creek?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:49 AM »
This question is right up Bojihawks alley, he's the Willow Creek Guru ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Get near the channel and pop holes till you find a tree or trees.  There are plenty.  Fish minnows around the tree and bounce around other holes and jig with the vex.  Crappies walleye catfish and wiper.  Some may be difficult for your daughter to  land if she isn't experienced
Where's the ice

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Get near the channel and pop holes till you find a tree or trees.  There are plenty.  Fish minnows around the tree and bounce around other holes and jig with the vex.  Crappies walleye catfish and wiper.  Some may be difficult for your daughter to  land if she isn't experienced

Thanks for the info!!! It is greatly appreciated...

Does anyone know if the road & parking lot is accessible by the south boat ramp? I called the park phone number but no one answered... I also left a message but that park superintendent has never been one to answer or return calls...

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:15 PM »
East west gave good advice. I'm going to respectively go a step further:

Fish at Willow...hmmm.....they move sir.  Finding the brushpiles is a good idea and there are many.  Ideally (IMO), I would start at the south ramp (straight north of the new park ranger kiosk on the south side).  Walk out about 30 yards...stand looking straight north, and start  drilling holes in the direction of 9-10 o clock.  There is a semi-pronounced break line. Use the Vex and find some.  Here is the important part (IMO):  Fish the low side of the brush!  These brush pile always seem to be on steep breaks.  Fish the "shady side".  Think of it in terms of logic.  Fish will seek out not only side to side cover, but also top cover.  The "down hilll" side of the brush will offer better and bigger fish in my experience.  Also, when you drill your holes, take your transducer float and move it WAY up on the cord.  Stick your arm down the hole and side scan for brush turning the tranducer face like a radar dish.  I started doing that this last season to find it and (since cameras are very limited in that stained water) you can project your sonar...at least to the point when you hit those piles.  Sounds wierd, I know.  It works.  I call it the stethoscope and use it all the time like that (temps permitting...it's cold dude).

At this time, I'm not sharing GPS coords due to the tournament coming up.  I'm sorry.  But not as sorry as I am that I fished every hot spot I had out there a couple weeks ago and had a few dinks to show for it.  So far, Willow is elusive.  Buddy of mine was out today...nothing!  As far as wipers....find cats, and stick around.  Fish buckshot rattle spoons above the cats and fish them violently...look for the mark...then ease off and quiver that bad boy.  And hang on...they normally make a fantasitic first run.  Even the 3 pounders will smoke 40' off a spool.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:19 PM »
Boji,

Thanks a bunch for the info; it is greatly appreciated!!! ;>)

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:13 AM »
I got a call from Dan Sutherland who is the Superintendent of Willow Creek and he said that all roads are accessible for fishing, the snow has been cleared... He said the bite was a little slow but fish were being caught...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.