Author Topic: Ice around Lincoln  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice around Lincoln
« on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:23 PM »
I went out and checked the ice today at Conestogo and Pawnee. They had a alot of frozen snow on them drilled about 5'' of white ice that looked like snow and had about 2'' of clear ice bellow that.  I think ill try other lakes tomorrow or the weekend i don't fish these two so didn't spend much time on them just wanted to check the ice. Were getting close.

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice around Lincoln
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:16 PM »
I just got off the ice at Holmes & your going to be suprised.  There are several spots where the snow is already melting & you can see that beautiful shinny clear/black ice. The whole lake is locked up solid 4 to 6 inches of ice (see pics below) & very little snow, I would say maybe a couple small drifts otherwise probably less than a 2 inch average across the whole lake, most of which will get melted by the sun & turn into more ice.

There were a couple other guys besides me on the ice, I don't believe that the snow has had as much of an impact on the ice as we all thought.

Remember with the subzero temps we have had, we a making 1inch of ice or more a day right now. If temps stay like they are supposed to Holmes will have 6 to 8 this weekend & 8 to 10 inches by this time next week.

I used a scoop that has a ruler on it that I measured with a measuring tape before I left the house to ensure it was accurate

I also brushed away all snow away from the top of the ice to ensure an accurate reading & picture

The 1st measurement, of 4 inches, was taken from the red spot indicated on the map below.

The 2nd measuremeant, of 6 inches, was taken from the red spot indicated on the map below.

Theses smaller lakes are freezen up fast guys, time to let the big lakes finish freezing & hit up the pot holes as I like to call them.

I had to suck up the pucker factor myself, after seeing how thick the ice really was, I feel like I almost lost my man card

I whish I had ordered my new flasher earlier supposed to be here today or tomarrow

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:19 PM »
I also was out at Holmes today about 3 p.m. Ran into a guy in the trout area who said he had two in 10 minutes on marshmallows. I also kicked open someones test hole, and couldn't  reach deep enough to hit the bottom of the ice without getting my sleeves wet. I almost went home to get my stuff, but the wind was a bit much, and I'm not that into stocker trout anyway. I'll be back for the eyes, crappie and gills, though!
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:11 PM »
Wow thanks for that update and pics pjwatson.  Iam going to load all the gear up and go after those small lakes get to try my new fl-20 out cant wait. Any one down by burchard that might be ready to go.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 11, 2009, 09:38 AM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the updates! I would be interested in getting out next week as I will be off all week. So, if anyone is headed out drop a note!
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:52 PM »
8" on Recharge Lake here in York.  Will be 10 by sunday.  After tonight 5 more days of work then 19 off!!!

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 11, 2009, 02:50 PM »
OK Guys, went out to Holmes today and there were about 7-8 guys out. Some trout coming in if your into that. I may go just to pop my ice cherry.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I here you on that. I might try wildwood insted could find some gills and crappie out there just got back from drilling holes from there 6'' to 8'' of ice.  But i think all the fish are a little small yet.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Never fished wildwood. Pretty new to the area still. Let me know how you do. I would be going but my wife is getting induced tomorrow at 830 and she might frown on me fishing the day our son is to be born. I have next week off and will need to get out of the house.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.