Author Topic: Ice forming around Columbus...  (Read 1597 times)

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice forming around Columbus...
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:28 AM »
Thought I would share a picture of the ice forming here in Columbus at Lake North... There is a lot of open water yet but there are a ton of ice cubes too... ;>)

The reservoir straight south of me and across the dike wall is frozen completly... The Loup Canal is frozen too...

Offline NyteOwl

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice forming around Columbus...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:25 PM »
What do you think the snow will do to the ice?  If we get as much as they're predicting, I wouldn't be out there for a while. 

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:29 PM »
What do you think the snow will do to the ice?  If we get as much as they're predicting, I wouldn't be out there for a while. 

I'm not real sure what the snow will do... I would keep an eye on the lake and when you seen 2 or 3 guys out on the lake about 100 yards south, I would guess it's ready; thats what I am watching for... Let them be the guinea pigs...

Do you fish at Lake North often? I will be there this winter in the Blue Clam Fishtrap X2... Might even put "Big Johnson" on the back... ;>)

Offline NyteOwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:54 AM »
I really haven't spent much time at Lake North.  My in-laws live in Norfolk so I usually drop the wife off and head to Willow Creek or Maskenthine.  Hoping to chase some pike and perch at Goose this winter too.  My kids are finally taking an interest so I may be staying around Columbus a little more.  I'll either be in the green Eskimo or if Christmas goes as planned, the Clam Denali.  I'll stop by if I see you.

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:48 AM »
That Clam Denali is and awesome shelter!!! Don't know if you have a Cabelas Visa or not but they have a promotion right now that if you spend $500+ you get $100 off...

I almost bought the Denali-II but instead got a Clam Fishtrap X2...

Offline duckhunter6963

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Hi new to this web site life long ice fishermen.Checked the ice on lake north today 6in.thinking about fishing some time this week .

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I went out yesterday and drilled some test hole; the ice was anywhere from 4"-6" thick... I did see some cracking in spots as I drilled and didn't hang around to see what it was gonna do... When I heard the crack I made tracks!!! Anyway, be a little cautious yet...

On a positive note; my neighbor and I caught a couple catfish... Mine was a 2 LBS. and his was 10 LBS!!! His was enormous and just about didn't fit through the hole!!! When he finally got it to the hole it was all I could do to get my hands in the holes and grab the gills!!! I had to pull like heck to get it on the ice!!!
Anyway, after retrieving the hook, back down the hole she went...
Looking forward to another adventure tomorrow evening...

Offline duckhunter6963

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:21 PM »
Thanks for info Big J.how far out was the 4 in. of ice

Offline Big Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:13 AM »
Thanks for info Big J.how far out was the 4 in. of ice

I went out about 150 yards and I stress test the ice pretty well if you know what I mean!!! ;) The ice was making noise while I was fishing, you could hear it putting more on; it's an eerie sound but a good one!

Offline NyteOwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2009, 05:49 PM »
I'm thinking about taking the kids out to Lake North tomorrow or Wednesday.  Hopefully we can find some cats and eyes!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.