Author Topic: New to Omaha  (Read 1726 times)

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
New to Omaha
« on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:27 AM »
 I'm from North Dakota, need info on lakes with walleye and is there any clubs or groups that go out togther

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
Re: New to Omaha
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Hey,

Moved to Lincoln from SD a few years ago. Its a little harder to find fish down here but if you want to meet up and rip lips sometime shoot me a mail.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Hey,

Moved to Lincoln from SD a few years ago. Its a little harder to find fish down here but if you want to meet up and rip lips sometime shoot me a mail.
[/we will keep in touch what part of SD i'm from minot    quote]

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Cool, I went to college in Mankato in 90. Grew up in Watertown SD. Was up there back in the late80s and 90s when the fishing was outstanding. You have a wheeler? I plan to hit it hard this year.

Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2009, 08:24 AM »
yes i do  we will have to meet up one day

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:09 AM »
Are you looking for info on lakes that have walleye in them, or looking for walleye lakes.  We have lakes with walleye in them, but tough to target them.  If your willing to travel a bit, you can improve your chances. 

What part of Omaha did you land in?  Not really any clubs here, but plenty of people/groups that hit it together.   

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:38 AM »
Bellevue I just need info on good lakes around here willing to travel

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Welcome to Nebraska, I just transplanted to Omaha about 2 Years ago from Rapid City.  I live pretty close to Wherspann lake.  I know there's walleyes in there, I've caught a few small ones, but like adammd said they are a bit tough to target without a boat (like me).  Search for Wherspann Lake on youtube, some guy posted a video of some walleye he caught there this past spring with some decent size.  Zorinsky and Standing Bear have walleye as well.

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009, 02:47 PM »
Thank's for the info

Offline adammd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:38 PM »
Don't forget about Iowa either.  Their out of state licenses are cheap, and they have some good lakes to fish as well.  

But for the above mentioned lakes

Zorinski - Most heavily fished metro area lake.  They are still stocking eyes, but just fry now, back from 2002-2006 they were stocking them in the 5 - 8 inch range, and you could catch them on a semi regular basis (in NE terms, not what your thinking by regular).  It has gone downhill from there.  Once these fish reach the legal 15 inches, they are gone.  And all of these fish have reached that length, so.........

Standing Bear - I am not the guy to give info on this lake, only fished it a few times and targeted trout.

Wherspan - Same stocking issue as Zorinski, so the eyes are declining, however this lake closes at 10pm, which is huge for the fishing and makes it better than the rest.  You get more people ice fishing here than anywhere else, and there is a reason for that.  By far the best of the three lakes for ice fishing, walleye or other species.  

Cunningham lake - just finishing the lake rehab, and are stocking eyes I see.  Probably a couple years out, but should be a great place when the fish grow up.  I took about 80 pictures of it dried up and marked a good 60 spots on my GPS, so I am excited for this lake to be ready.  All the eyes that went in were 1.5 inches, but it seems on newer lakes when they are approaching ready the game and parks will come in with a stocking of better sized fish (see powder creek, summitt, etc when they were rehabed/built).  

None of the local waters (for the most part) are having eyes reproduce or maintain populations on their own, so its all about the stocking of the lakes.  Go east, or northeast, and this changes.

Lincoln has lakes with eyes but your going the wrong way there if your ice fishing, better to spend that travel time heading north.  

We'll see ya on the ice, hopefully soon.

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2009, 04:26 PM »
I'm also a ND transplant formerly from Mandan I now live in Papillion really the closest and least travel is going to N.W. Iowa for the eyes and the perch.

Offline catchoo1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The Walleye Slayer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2009, 09:10 PM »
I live in Bellevue we will half to get togther and fish

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:35 AM »
Im all for it, just waiting for the ice to get here.

Offline Waleygator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Welcome to Nebraska!  These guys around here will gladly give you the advice you're after.  Eye fishing isn't near what you're used to around Minot.  I spent 1988-1996 there, did a lot of fishing in Audobon.  Give me a shout some time at [email protected] and maybe we can get together...Art

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.