Author Topic: Where in the Omaha area can i get my Auger repaired/tuned-up?  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
I bought my first power auger at Scheels last year, a Jiffy Stealth XTS, and had a little difficulty getting it started the first time out.  I tried to start it several times by the directions with no results.  To get it started, I found that I had to open the choke all the way and then put a little pressure on the gas lever (enough for it to idle higher but not move the blade) as I pulled the cord.  Once I had it started and warmed up I could let off the gas and it would run like a champ for a few hours.  I'm thinking something probably just needs adjusted to get the gas to flow right but I don't know a whole lot about engine repair, I'm more of a computer guy.

Sooo...Any suggestions as to where I could take it to get it tuned up and/or checked out around the Omaha Area?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Where in the Omaha area can i get my Auger repaired/tuned-up?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:05 PM »
Before you do that...drain old gas...put in a about a cup of fresh gas (mixed of course).  Add about an ounce of sea foam...and pull the plug wire and then pull that thing to get the fuel and detegerent moved through the carb and lines.  You may have some varnishing left over from last year regardless of how you store it. Next, pull the plug and replace that.  Since it's only 1 year old, you shouldn't need a tune up quite yet.  Your idle screw might need an adjustment also.  If your model requires a breather cap, make sure that is unscrewed. I know, it sounds like pretty basic stuff, but I would make sure all of that stuff is done first before running to a wrench.  Lemars has a guy..after that it's south dakota.  You are definitely on the southern most rim of ice fishing...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 03, 2009, 08:10 AM »
Excellent advice.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 03, 2009, 08:36 PM »
I am not trying to start something, but I am curious as to why you didn't take it back to Scheel's, they should have been able to do something for you at that time, otherwise could be several things as bojihawk said, with a brand new auger it could still be about any of those, good luck, Hank. If nothing else bring it to Broken Bow and I will fix it and then you can take me fishing. ;)
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Thanks BojiHawk , I'll have to try that.  Can you get Seafoam at any autoparts store?

Yeah, I thought about taking it back to Scheels but I had other crap going on last winter that kinda made it the last thing on my mind at the time.  I was only able to get out on the ice 3 times last winter.  As I said, once I got it started, it ran like a champ so I wanted to make sure it wasn't user error before I marched it back to Scheels.

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2009, 10:40 AM »
Since Bojihawk hasn't replied, you should be able to buy Seafoam at about any good parts store, I get mine at our NAPA, I have also seen it at Walmart. Good luck with the auger.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2009, 05:25 PM »
Sorry guy...thanks Hank....spaced off the seafoam. Maybe I have varnishing in my head.  ;-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:27 PM »
I sure the motor is under warranty just take it to a dealer that works on your engine. My strikemaster was only $80 but was covered under warranty for a basic tune up.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2009, 08:40 PM »
they are that tough to work on..if you have an old one..I would tinker with it.  My 4-stroke is a little more..complex.  Not sure it I'm ready to do that...:-(

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Thanks everyone for the good advice!  I actually found myself wandering the isles at Scheels Sunday, checking out the clam popups.  I noticed the fellow helping me out is their Fishing Shop Manager (Patrick) so I told him about the issues I had with the Jiffy to see if he had any suggestions.  The wife had thrown the box with all my paperwork and the receipt out over the summer so I figured I was SOL.  Well, Patrick was more than helpfull... I should have a new (non-Tecumseh :thumbsup: ) 8" STX Pro II on the way.  They didn't have any in stock so he is ordering one in.  Hopefully it will be there next week.  I just wanted to give Scheels, Patrick & Mike kudos for the top notch customer service.

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:24 PM »
That's great to hear. Something to be said about great customer service. I have to agree with you - Scheels has always been top notch in that area and I continue to give them almost all of my business because of that.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:44 PM »
I'll chime in on Scheels.  They back they're stuf, their associates are normally more than helpful and in the dept. they work (not gathered in groups of 3-4 people chuckling about last nights game), and their prices are in line.  Not the cheapest but hey...they are good.  My wife was in Sioux City today...sent her with my list...handed it to a rep and he picked the list while she waited at checkout.  Pretty sweet.  I think they recognize my handwriting by now. :-)

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2009, 02:18 PM »
Update:  I received my replacement Sunday as promised.  Good Deal!  The ice can't come soon enough now!

Thanks again Mike & Patrick!

Offline NyteOwl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I bought a Jiffy STX a couple years ago and have had nothing but problems.  I'm not at all an expert on these things so any advice would be appreciated.  I got it out last week and it took a while, but eventually started.  Once I get it started and try to open it up, it dies.  Much worse in the colder weather.  Seems to take a solid 5 minutes of running before I can open her up and let her loose.  I talked to a small engine guy here in Columbus who said that's the way they're made.  I don't buy it for a second, nobody else I see on the ice has these problems.  If I cover up the hole in the primer, it runs a little better but not perfect.  Any ideas??

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2009, 07:46 PM »
I bought a Jiffy STX a couple years ago and have had nothing but problems.  I'm not at all an expert on these things so any advice would be appreciated.  I got it out last week and it took a while, but eventually started.  Once I get it started and try to open it up, it dies.  Much worse in the colder weather.  Seems to take a solid 5 minutes of running before I can open her up and let her loose.  I talked to a small engine guy here in Columbus who said that's the way they're made.  I don't buy it for a second, nobody else I see on the ice has these problems.  If I cover up the hole in the primer, it runs a little better but not perfect.  Any ideas??

Tear the carb apart and give it a good cleaning, then you may have to adjust the idle screw a little to get it running smooth again.  It shouldn't take a 5 minute warm up!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Sounds like it is running lean(mixture). I don't know much about augers, I just work on automotive carbs. I would check for a vaccum leak, that will cause a lean mixture. Good Luck.

Glad you guys are finally getting some ice!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.