Author Topic: Relocating to Norfolk  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Relocating to Norfolk
« on: Oct 27, 2009, 05:29 PM »
 My wife is being considered for a promotion that will relocate us from southwest Iowa to the Norfolk area. I have enjoyed some great ice fishing here in Iowa and hope that there are plenty of places up that way to satisfy my addiction.... and it's a BAAAAD addiction.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: Relocating to Norfolk
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Hey Tom...be happy to hook you up with what you want to know as best I can.  You are located very well for some top notch waters.  Willow, Goose, Maskentine to name a few.  You'll get your fix man.  I know Willow best but have a few others that are blossoming.  Let me know when you want to join me...always happy to have people witness my minnow drowning ability.  If you got your own gear...awesome...I normally have enough for me and a couple guys.  Peace.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Oh yeah, I come fully stocked, tho I did sell my camera last year because I found myself staring at the screen instead of fishing. Vex, FT Pro, 8" Eskimo Power Auger, ATV... We're good to go. :)

With the more liberal line laws, I am thinking about maybe making some tip ups tho.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:18 AM »
You won't be disappointed with ice opportunities if your wife gets the job.

Not only are you close to the lakes BojiHawk mentioned, within a few hours drive you can be cutting on the Valentine Refuge Lakes, Glacial Lakes of SD, or IGL's in IA.

dc

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:50 AM »
The SD lakes would be awesome! I usually make a trek to the IGL's once a year for a week or so with some buddies to stock up on Perch and get skunked on walleye. I would miss SW Iowa, but I look forward to a new area.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Well if your wife gets the job....Welcome to Nebraska :tipup:  Good fishin over that way your movin.  Heard good things about those lakes Boji mentioned.  And that not coming just from Boji.  Havnt gotten over there myself.  Lots of good fishing right here closer to Valentine.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2009, 09:08 PM »
We don't talk about these lakes since most people are convinced there aren't any fish in them :-)  Specially walleyes in the 18-22" range.  I agree...and those teeny crappies...baby wipers..and those dirty cats that have no milky white nugget-yielding filets.  If I were you...I would stay away from most area lakes.  Waste of time ;-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2009, 08:45 AM »
BojiHawk, I don't know why, but I have your cell number on speed dial in my cell phone. I was scrolling through the phonebook and found "BojiHawk" listed. Musta got some GPS numbers from you for Spirit last season. :)

I'm not sure about the wife's job, but I was searching job possibilities in my line of work and landed an interview with a company up there next Wednesday. Be kinda funny to make he move for my new job after starting the search for her....

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:40 AM »
 I'll be in Norfolk tomorrow evening. Any suggestions on a place to take the wife for dinner would be appreciated.

Offline BRET734

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:14 AM »
If you do not want to go to one of the chain ( APPLEBES) ect you could give Prenger,s at 116 East Norfolk Ave. a try.  If you do make the move  I also do some ice fishing give me a shout.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2009, 04:19 PM »
If you do not want to go to one of the chain ( APPLEBES) ect you could give Prenger,s at 116 East Norfolk Ave. a try.  If you do make the move  I also do some ice fishing give me a shout.
Thanks and Welcome to the site!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Personally, I like the sports den...but it's been so long since I've been out and about over there.  Whiskey creek has a great porterhouse.  Prengers..I agree, good choice. I think they have some really good homemade onion rings or something.  Last time I was there I was still drinking...I'm never positive on those places when I return if I left the first time or got kicked out. :-)

If you hit the sportsden, they have a great ribeye sandwich (or did).

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2009, 08:12 AM »
Sweet, nothing like a whole list of eatin' places for a fat guy. :)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 04, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Between the Hawkeyes and wings Tom...my blood type is now Buffalo and my blood pressure "stop it" over "are you serious"

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:36 PM »
 We had a great dinner at Whiskey Creek. You called it on the Porterhouse, very nice steak. The job interview went well, dinner was great and the weather was decent for the drive. Norfolk is a lot bigger than it was the last time I was there, probably 1984 or so. I hope the stars align and me and the Mrs. both land the jobs we are after. I'd love to go there permanent like.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:39 PM »
Between the Hawkeyes and wings Tom...my blood type is now Buffalo and my blood pressure "stop it" over "are you serious"

Mine is measured as "Go / No Go".

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2009, 08:01 AM »
Well, after all that, it is beginning to look like a move in the other direction is in the cards. I don't know how I am supposed to ice fish in Missouri or Kansas. This sux. I get to the point where I just about want for nothing to ice fish, and I move to the friggin' equator.  >:(

Stay tuned, you might get a good package deal on gear as I go on the market for a dang boat.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.