The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Shell Lake Wisconsin area?  (Read 1741 times)

Offline coldassice

• IceShanty Rookie
Shell Lake Wisconsin area?
« on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:04 PM »
Hey Im new to Ice Shanty, long time troller, first time poster. Is there anyone that knows of any great placed to get good walleye/ perch close to the Shell Lake area and whats working this time of year? I will be up there from the 28th of January to the 1st of February. Any help would be great! Ive pulled a lot of crappie through the ice, but not much walleye being from Nebraska.

PS. I would like to do more jigging than tip ups. I love the fight and i will also be using a flasher...

Offline idahohunter1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shell Lake Wisconsin area?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:17 PM »
Welcome! I'm happy your posting instead of just trolling.  ;)
You may have better luck with an answer on the Wisconsin page. A couple more posts you'll be able to see the reports and conditions page too.  Good luck to you!
On the ice again, just can't wait to get on the ice again, the life I love is catching fish with my friends, and I can't wait to get on the ice again. "kinda Willie Nelson"

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:22 PM »
Maybe check out Lake Link website too.  Seems the WI guys like that one. 

Offline coldassice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:22 PM »
yeah still figuring this stuff out, thanks a bunch!

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2015, 12:44 PM »
I'd try the bay on Shell Lake. Pretty popular in the area and people have decent luck out there. You can look at a contour map on the DNR site. Might want to try that 25 foot hole where the bay meets the main body of the lake if your targeting perch as well. Early a.m. or from around 3-7 p.m. are the hot times.
Stay frosty.

Offline coldassice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2015, 06:58 PM »
thanks a bunch!, im getting pumped to get out on the ice, all of it is rotting away down here in Nebraska.

Offline Beardsicles

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2015, 10:05 PM »
Temps here(Eau Claire, WI) are higher than I would like (highs of 37-38) but nothing to worry about. I grew up about a half hour drive south of Shell and fished it in high school quite a bit when they still had the 15 inch minimum walleye requirement. I still try to get up there a couple times a season. Lakes around Eau Claire have more pressure due to population. If you've got tip ups dont be afraid to pick up some minnows and set one or two up. You're allowed 3 lines in WI, not sure how many you're allowed in Nebraska. Tip ups can get pretty hot in low light conditions. I've never targeted perch on Shell, but deeper water is a good bet for them anywhere. Haven't fished out of the bay during ice season so that's the extent of my expertise for winter. Bummer about your ice conditions but hopefully you ice some fish while your up here. I'm heading north this weekend as well but I'm targeting some panfish on much smaller lakes during the day and then I will be heading out to a heated permanent shack of a friend on a different lake to watch flags in comfort at night. I wish you luck!
Stay frosty.

Offline coldassice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2015, 06:11 PM »
I appreciate the input fellas, i will try and get back one here when the trip is over. hopefully we get into a bunch of fish, but either way its better than working!

Offline coldassice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:53 PM »
Well, we didn't do quite as good as we expected. we fished shell lake for a couple hours on day one and only caught one nice walleye. Day two we were on long lake ALL day and only caught one nice walleye, then on day three we fished Ripley and absolutely destroyed some decent crappie! all in all i cant complain because day three salvaged it all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.