The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Burbot  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
Burbot
« on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:44 AM »
I've never fished for Burbot but would like to give it a try. Are there any Wisconsin waters where they can be caught? Anything called the "poor mans lobster" sounds good to me. Thanks in advance.  ???

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Burbot
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I never caught one, is that what they call eel pout? I know northern pike makes good poor mans lobster also, and easy to catch pike.

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2013, 01:51 PM »
They are called eel pout too. I saw an In Fisherman show that took them from ice to the kitchen, however they were up in Canada. Too far for me for a weekend, and my favorite state is Wisconsin. The good guys going to beat the Vikes this week?

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 03:06 PM »
One of my favorite fish!  They are a freshwater cod and taste like.  I prefer either blackening them cajun style or deep frying but poor man's lobster is decent too.

Depending upon who you talk to they go by many names: Burbot, Eelpout, and Lawyer are the ones I hear most often in WI.  Other places include a whole bunch of other names too.

You'll have to do a little digging to find them but here is a sneak peak at the Burbot range in WI:

A many populations in rivers stay pretty small (less than 15") and hang out around the lower reaches of trout creeks.  Lake Winnebago has a population, otherwise the best odds are in lakes that also have Lake Trout, Whitefish, or Ciscoes - as Burbot share habitat with those species.

Offline wickedwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 04:08 PM »
Winnebago has a good population,Green Bay also. Late ice is best as they stage around reefs for spawning.Also a good night bite for them at that time.Do your homework and you will find them,you may find yourself addicted to it once you catch one!

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:26 PM »
To add a couple things - most of those dots are creek populations, not really target-able.  The main exceptions are Lake Michigan, Lake Superior, Lake Winnebago and several up in the NE corner near the U.P.  Like I said think Lake Trout / Whitefish / Cisco waters.

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2013, 01:41 PM »
think more less like Lake Trout fishing dead/live minnows, ciscoes, smelt for tipups and various jigs and spoons in or near deep water.  Mostly near bottom, though they will cruse right under the ice and anywhere between at times.  Night time is usually best, though we've caught them at high noon too.  Depends.  Can be good all winter but action is most consistent near the spawn, depending on the lake usually happens in Feb or March.

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Are they the same as a Dog Fish?
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2013, 08:40 AM »
Are they the same as a Dog Fish?

No.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Basswacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2013, 05:48 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. Planning my trip north right now. :)

Offline dfman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:23 PM »
We get them on the deep lakes in northern Michigan.  A dead smelt or minnow right on the bottom seems to be the most popular set up.  I have only gotten them on the bottom in 80-100 ft of water. 

Offline schollmeier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2013, 03:43 PM »
I've gotten them in less than 5 FOW in rivers, as shallow as 15 FOW in lakes.  20-40 FOW seems to be most consistent for me in Lakes but every lake is different.  In Lake Superior you can find them at all depths 15 FOW out past 200 FOW.  Find structure and food and there should be Burbot around (if they are in a given lake).

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Remember some guy told me that it was a dog fish.  He was wrong ,after he cooked it up. This is an eel pout . I know of one gal that fishes for trout in the winter,and caught this fish in a trout stream. Very interesting.
                                                                                                 Fat Fish (Jerry)

Offline Laker 11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2013, 07:52 AM »
A place to check is the Little Sturgeon Bay area, in the past we have caught them when fishing for perch or walleye. This is a shallow bay off of Green Bay and later winter and night are the best time. Around here they call the fish Lawyer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.