The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up question?  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Bassin_Sig

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up question?
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:29 AM »
I've been setting some tip ups, using one #2 size treble hook (I think pretty big) and hooking shiners through the eyes , (trying to catch toothies) and I'll get some flags and see the spool spinning and wait till it stops the pull my tip up out while holding the line, then pull the line slowly till I feel weight then set the hook. Well I'll have something big on and fight them for awhile (with a tight line) and then right before it's about to come out it will pull off, with just the hook left. the hooks are all brand new and sharp. I'm using large shiners also... If any one has any ideas to try I'm all ears. Thanks Sig

Offline big nor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip up question?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:33 AM »
I personally use a single hook hooking the shiner through the back works great!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:20 PM »
I use smaller treble hooks 6-8 for size usually #8. Some people use a harness type which has 2 hooks on them. These may work good for you since you are using larger baits. People that use them say they work good and the plus is you have 2 hooks instead of the one the hook the big ones with.

Offline Mr.Buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I swear there was a fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:31 PM »
I use a #6 treble hook and hook in the back, I use large shiners alot and I have yet to have one spit the hook
Two fishes swimming side along and one looks at the other and tells him "I had a near death experiance today, I was swimming along and next thing I knew I was getting pulled down a tunnel with a bright light at the end, i got to the light, looked around and my friends and family were there.  And I saw jesus! And he wears a budweiser hat and he said, it is not your time, go back and I will come for you when you are bigger"

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:47 AM »
I would try a quick strike rig.

You can buy them or make your own, usually any bait or sporting goods store will be able to help you out.

Quick strike rigs come with two hooks, usually trebles.

I put the bottom hook through the cheek of the minnow, or between the nostrils.  You want the hook point to be pointing toward the tail of the bait. the second hook usually goes through the back, just under the skin.

You want it to be in lightly so that if you give a quick jerk, the hook in the back pulls out, this puts most of your force into the hook in the front of the bait.

Northerns usually take a bait, make a short run, turn the bait to swallow it head first.  This puts your treble hook in the right position to hook 'em.     I wait until the fish starts to move away the second time, or set the hook if they are moving off at a good clip.

Hope this helps,

Wiener 

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:37 PM »
Like the others said.... use some smaller hooks and your luck should increase.  The smaller hooks will usually have 2 or all 3 tines stuck in the fish.

Offline Bassin_Sig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:43 PM »
you guys are great and I appreciate the feedback! I fish for salmon in the fall so I have some 6 and 8 treble hooks, so I'll give that a try... kinda new to tipups so thanks for the replies, I'll let you know my results...

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:59 PM »
For Northern NO 10 treble for Walleye 12 or 14.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline Topher8908

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GOATBOYS-WISCONSIN CHAPTER son of 1st WI goat
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2009, 11:55 AM »
I would go with a Size 6 or a size 8 and then then hook through the back. Works excellent for me never have lost one yet! :thumbsup:

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 05:01 PM »
#8 mustad or gamakatsu hooked in the back at the front of the dorsal fin, its pretty durable there. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.