New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Chautauqua Lake B.S.  (Read 43523 times)

Offline icefishingfreak4life

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Chautauqua Lake B.S.
« Reply #180 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:28 PM »
if anybody went fishing during this past weekend on chautauqua and had safe ice and caught some decent amount of perch that had some kind of size to them. pls tell me where at. thanks. i would appreciate it. i have a 12 year old that is dieing to go out but im not sure about anywhere that is worth me paying $70 bucks for a lisence. thanks. need info pls. ???

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #181 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:34 PM »
good, tonight"s mix will take the snow off the lake and it will be uncovered so we will probly be building alot of ice during this week. like no snow reports for this week so it will be cold, so it should make a good 2 more inches on wed, thur, fri, going fishing probly on saturday. we will hope for the best   ;)

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #182 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Ive never heard of a 12" auger.  I think those big holes are caused by the weather conditions widening a 8" hole.  Just the 'occupational' hazards of the sport we love.  Move slow and be as light on your feet as you can.  I would think most ice on the lake is pretty sketchy until we get past the next few days of warm weather and hopefully get back into the cold temps.  Be safe
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:53 PM »
the clock on this ice shanty website is off by 2 hours.  :bow:

Offline gomaco1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #184 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:08 PM »
im gonna take a ride this week to check the ice myself due to all the tight lippin going on because long point has to be good.so when i post it will be 100% accurate because i have kids myself . and as far for fishing the lake- morning stay shallow then after 10am head deep 40 plus feet for perch  rig a  pole with a lindy rattlyn flyer tied to main line then another line bout 12 inches long tie one end to treble hook on the flyer and other end to your jig of choice. this set up will get you deep faster and add a little noise when your jiggin

Offline iceman7471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:01 PM »
Hey,,,,,,I'm a local,,,,,,I'm not to sure still if the internet is a good thing or not............All locals who enjoy the outdoors feel that we so call "Own" a piece of that lake once we find a honey hole.............But lets face it...............We all wouldn't pay for hunts, go on vacations and trips,,,,,,,,if someone or some company didn't promote the hell out of it.  This site does the same thing............put's info out there that could potentially draw a newby in.......if your greedy,,,want it all for yourself.......Then I'd say you shouldn't be a member of this site.........Being an outdoorsman is all about making memories..........tell ing stories.........and for some,,,,,perhaps inviting you along to partake in what you've found...........So this site is a little off............Some will share some info,,,and some just lerk to gather info but think its crazy to post any valuable information........... ... I don't feel that its at all right to come and plop two inches from another person once they here some flopping in the water in your hutt...........But sharing what you've found for safe ice,,,,,,,,doesn't give anything away..............if someone is eager to know the conditions...........c hances are they've fished here or may be a first timer with their kid............Take a look around.........The outdoorsmen is not being bred like they were 50 years ago..........Take the time to educate and sit back and enjoy watching someone make memories.............

That being said............Long point boat launch.....A good outdoorsman buddy tried and stepped on the shore ice by the launch and went right through....tried by the dock...same thing....now a plank might solve the issue....but I've never been one to feel comfortable walking the plank and hopeing to be able to re walk that same plank in the evening on my trek in......

North of the point though did offer a safe trek onto the ice with 4-5"'s noted................. Now for the fishing results............hor rible...........tiny perch

Any one else near stow,,,,,prendergast,,,,maple springs........post a ice report........its the gentlemen thing to do

Offline smj8322

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:22 PM »
the clock on this ice shanty website is off by 2 hours.  :bow:
you can fix this by going into your profile and clicking on "look and layout" then adjust "time offset" to 2

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:45 PM »
Nice post Iceman7471.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #188 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:19 AM »
I'll give you that there is not a production 12 auger, 10 is the biggest.  But when some yahoo with a spud bar is beating the heck out of the ice to square up a hole, for bluegills that are subsandwich size, it is a bit of overkill and dangerous.  I have seen a few guys with Eskimo 10 augers at Butis, and I am aware that we need to look where we are going.  But for gills and perch a 4.5 auger is all you need and a lot easier to drill with.
My 2 cents.  Back to waiting for ice, but with 50' today, it will be swinging flies in a local stream, time to get the kayak back out.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #189 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:32 AM »
Looking for any observations about the ice. We are coming from Western Ohio to Chautauqua next Wednesday and would appreciate any info. Ice conditions, lodging, areas to start fishing. It doesn't sound good ice wise so any info would help. We are waiting til this weekend to cancel or not.

Offline petenice1304

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #190 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:39 AM »
yeah i dont think there will any ice fshing for few days my try a pond out in the sticks that has some pike in it but thats probably not safe,it will be nice in the woods though

Offline gomaco1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #191 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:53 AM »
hey iceman i appreciate that spoken like a true gentleman. growing up my father taught me hunting nothing about fishing he being afraid of water so i learned by myself reading books and following the veterans. let me tell you it was very difficult. so i learned allot of things in 20yrs . that being said so if i have the opportunity to make a persons day even a stranger with his son or his little girl helping them catch fish in my eyes that's what its all about.  i don't believe in secrets the knowledge was giving to me so i will pay it forward. AND ICEMAN YOUR ARE WHAT THIS WEB SITE SHOULD BE ALL ABOUT. THANK YOU.

Offline Takethekidsfishing2222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:56 AM »
Went off long point on sunday. Shore ice a little shaky but there was good fishable ice 4-5 in. Very small perch 1 keeper to every 10. seen a hut by maple spring but havent heard anything. Good luck and be safe

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #193 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Well first of all thanks for the honest post Iceman.  I'm thinkin i talked with you yesterday.  As far as the ice goes its no longer a go at LP.  I fished there most of the day today and the ice depleted by half when I left.  The perchin was terrible today.  Great day to be out there though.  Don't understand how it has been so called tight lipped this year.  Other than Burtis Bay there has not been safe ice to be out there fishing. I shurly would not give any advise to others about fishing on the lake when I am not 100 % confident that it is safe ice.  The last thing I ever want to hear on here is that someone went through because they didn't know the lake and took the advise of others.  With that being sed...  Please be patient for a bit longer...

--------      GH

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #194 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:32 PM »
GH- I can't agree more.  There just isn't the ice this year PERIOD. Or as ICEMAN puts it PERIODPERIODPERIODPERI ODPERIODPERIOD. Just kidding ICEMAN.  I remember my first doobie!  I love kids as much as the next guy but mentioning them in condition report requests won't do you any good on my end.  I'll give Murcus and his safety buddy a report; the same for dads, scout troop leaders, grandmothers, hitchhikers, and bikini clad women.  Just get the feeling the dads are kinda playing the guilt trip card when they mention the kids.  Lets keep in mind Feb. is historically the coldest month of the year in these parts.  Maybe we'll get three good weeks in.   

Offline C-Bisket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' - it's what I useta do! "A LOT"
« Reply #195 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:01 PM »
… Thanks for the Post GH (and ice measured over on conditions board) – sheds some light on reality !

Tuesday (1/31/12) 10 day weather forecast for Mayville / Chautauqua Lake at the time of this post:
                                             "click it"
http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/14757?month=0

... the predicted (mean) average for the next 10 days is right @ 32deg – unfortunately, not so good !

... all we can do right now is keep gettin’ our equipment ready! … wax on – wax off !!!

… Till it’s Time!!!
***** USETA *****
Useta Fish a Lot
Useta Have No Problem With The Freezing Temps
Useta Catch a Lot of Fish
Useta Get Out No Matter What
Useta Blaze The Trail
Useta Cook / Eat Fish Once a Week
Useta Be a Regular Out There
*Still Fish Now and Then, But - Nothing Like I USETA *

Fishing, It's been like robbing banks for 40 years, and getting away with it - now's that time when I give it "ALL" back! - it's very redeeming!

Offline allthumbs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #196 on: Feb 01, 2012, 05:43 AM »
Lets give it some time guys    Remember the life that we risk might not only be our own
Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #197 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:24 AM »
Well, at least the local streams were clear of ice yesterday, and there were a few steelhead that opened their mouths!  Not a total loss.

Offline GOTICE?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #198 on: Feb 01, 2012, 12:22 PM »
Thanks to those that gave me some info but doesn't sound good so the ten of us are going to go to Michigan next week.

Offline iceman7471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:55 AM »
were sitting on 31 as we speak with the next 5 days having night time temps in the mid 20's.  I can only hope that 12 hours of mid 20's will set that puddle up!!!!!

Offline willsoj560

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:01 PM »
anyone ever pull muskeys out of the ice up there?

Offline Pole-ska

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Feb 03, 2012, 01:07 PM »
anyone ever pull muskeys out of the ice up there?

the last time i was up to Chautauqua (Prendegrast Point)  there were some dudes from PA who pulled out 4.  they were the talk of the ice that day and needless to say i kept my distance, since we target perch. 

dont quote me. i didnt see an actual fish.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #202 on: Feb 03, 2012, 02:23 PM »
hey does anyone have any info on long point? need to get out this weekend ;D ???

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Feb 03, 2012, 05:42 PM »
IFFreak-You better bring a boat if you want to get out on LP or just about anywhere on chautauqua this weekend.  In case you've been sleeping in the ground with Dunkirk Dave up until now; its been one of the warmest winter on record and the temperature has been above freezing most of the last 5 days.  I'd go hook some of those PA steelhead if I were you!

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #204 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:33 PM »
  It seems we are going to have a lot more of these cold nights with warm above freezing temps. Not sure if we can build any ice. I have a pond 1/2 hour east of Chautauqua. Had 5 inches of ice last week. Today was 2.5 - 3 with bubbles in it. Hopefully the cold nights can help.

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:12 PM »
Just hoping the ice can survive tomorrow. It looked very bad today walking around South of Bell Tower and it hasn't come real close to looking good this year. IF we can make it thru Monday, it looks like possible colder temps on the way........

Tonight
nt_partlycloudy    Partly cloudy. Lows in the upper 20s. West winds 10 mph or less...becoming southwest 10 to 20 mph.
Monday
sunny    Sunny and windy. Highs in the mid 40s. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph...increasing to 20 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
Monday Night
nt_sunny    Mainly clear in the evening...then becoming partly cloudy. Lows around 30. Southwest winds 10 to 20 mph...becoming west.
Tuesday
chancesnow    Partly sunny in the morning...then becoming mostly cloudy. A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Colder with highs in the lower 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph...becoming north.
Tuesday Night
nt_cloudy    Cloudy. Lows 15 to 20. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph...diminishing to 10 mph or less.
Wednesday
partlysunny    Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 20s.
Wednesday Night
nt_sunny    Mainly clear. Lows 15 to 25.
Thursday
sunny    Sunny. Highs in the mid 30s.
Thursday Night
nt_sunny    Mainly clear. Lows in the mid 20s.
Friday
chancesnow    Partly sunny with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Highs in the mid 30s.
Friday Night
nt_chancesnow    Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow showers. Lows around 15.
Saturday
partlysunny    Partly sunny. Highs in the upper 20s.
Saturday Night
nt_sunny    Mainly clear. Lows 10 to 20.
Sunday
sunny    Sunny. Highs in the lower 30s.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #206 on: Feb 06, 2012, 09:31 AM »
Online weather for Frewsburg shows LOWS of 11, and 6 for saturday, and sunday. Let`s hope.

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #207 on: Feb 07, 2012, 10:49 AM »
Just wanted to give a big HOWDY to all you impaitent Chautauqua lake ice fishing junkies like myself!I'm a newbee on this site and wanted to have a little imput on this subject and hopefully meet some of you real soon if the forecast holds like they say.Is anyone going North to the IceShanty convention in acouple weeks?Sounds like a blast,maybe next year for me!

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:09 PM »
Welcome NIK- Its been a tough year for chautauqua so far.  There may be hope of a good week or two before the weather really turns.  Not going to the IS shindig this year either.  Hopefully I'll be fishing somewhere tho.  Hope to see you out there.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #209 on: Feb 07, 2012, 05:21 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Just a word of advise, take some of the info here with a grain of salt.  Some post info that is less than accurate, dont know why they do, but they do.  Happy Hooker will usually have the most accurate info.  Good luck, and if you see a hut flying the Ice Shanty flag, stop and say hi!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.