Author Topic: Deep Creek walleye  (Read 1842 times)

walleyekiller

Deep Creek walleye
« on: Nov 28, 2004, 03:48 PM »
Hi all,
 A buddy and I are thinking very strongly about heading to Deep Creek in a couple weeks for some walleye fishing and to get an idea of where the honey holes may be for when the ice hits.  A couple questions; is there decent walleye fishing there, is there a decent boat ramp and is camping allowed?  I've checked the state web site but it seemed to be a little vague.

Any extra information you could provide would be great.  Who knows, I may see you on the water.

Also, is the Deep Creek ice fishing rodeo going to happen or are things up in the air?

Thanks,

Don

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: Deep Creek walleye
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2004, 07:22 AM »
Welcome walleyekiller.

Hopefully this will help.

A couple questions; is there decent walleye fishing there,

Yep.

is there a decent boat ramp
Yes, the state park ramps are nice.

and is camping allowed?
Yes, the state park has a camp ground but you should call to see how late in the year they are open.  I know that the Savage River State Forest allows primitive camping but it's not exactly close to the lake.  I'm sure that there are some private camp grounds in the area as well, perhaps a search on Garrett County Tourism will help.  If I come across anything then I'll post a link.  Anyone else know of any camp grounds in the area?

Also, is the Deep Creek ice fishing rodeo going to happen or are things up in the air?
Things are still in the planning stages but we hope to hold the first Maryland IS rodeo this year there.  Right now since there isn't any ice yet there isn't much traffic on the MD forum yet, but in a few weeks we'll be talking up a storm and try to set a date for the event.

Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
Re: Deep Creek walleye
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:59 PM »
Walleyes stack up in about 20-30 feet of water off of main lake points. In winter, during ice season they will cruise. Ive caught walleyes in coves, as well as off of points during ice season. In the evening right before sunset is the hot bite for walleyes during the ice season. They will head towards shallower water, off of main lake points. The walleye fishing this year was very good, I think ive caught the most walleyes in one season compaired to years past. The Maryland DNR recently did a shock survey, and the results were the highest ever recorded on Deep Creel. Jigging spoons, withed with minnows, or piece of minnows work great, although last ice season, I actually took more on Waxworms tipped on a jig. Contact the state park discovery center on information on camping. As for boat ramps, all the docks are already in at the State park. You can launch still, but you'll need 2 people to do it (one to launch, one to drive the boat, while your tow vehicle is being parked). If there is ice or snow on the ramp, usally the DNR will close off the boat ramp. We just had our first snowfall on Thanksgiving day, but its all melted already (was only an inch) It seems to me a little milder in temps compaired to last year, but that can change very quickly up here!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.