Author Topic: Keeping live bait alive. (suggestions)  (Read 2222 times)

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Keeping live bait alive. (suggestions)
« on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:00 AM »
Hi guys,

I have never fished with live minnows, not allowed to in Alberta. I got a fishing trip to Manitoba coming up and were allowed live minnows. I am looking for suggestions on the best way to keep minnows alive. I was going to run an aerator of some sort to a bucket or small cooler. Have you guys had success with this, if so which brand of aerator, I imagine there not all good in cold temps.

Thanks

Cheers

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
Re: Keeping live bait alive. (suggestions)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:09 AM »
The best way to keep minnows alive out on the ice is to keep them in your mouth...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline NickWY

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:20 AM »
It’s not hard in these cold temps other than keeping the water from freezing over night. Just add fresh water once in a while. I rarely use an aerator.

Offline Remps17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:23 AM »
It’s not hard in these cold temps other than keeping the water from freezing over night. Just add fresh water once in a while. I rarely use an aerator.

Thanks. do you put minnows in a bucket/cooler or is it better in one of theose styrofoam conatiners?

Offline flagup!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:36 AM »
If its to cold for the bubbler then the sides of the bait bucket start to freeze.  Shiners get beat up running into the ice shards.  I like the round insulated buckets or round water coolers no corners for the bait to beat them selves against.  I like to keep my bait slightly above or right at the freezing point like on the porch. I just bought the marine metal bubbles this year and it seems to pump a lot of air... https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Metal-110-Air-Dual/dp/B002QFY3AU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bubbles+110&qid=1582561652&sr=8-1.  Has two lines for 2 buckets.
I also don't keep the bubbler down at the bottom of the bucket, I raise it up so it's just an inch below.   Think the bubbler creates to much water flow at the bottom and the bait get tired and die when the bubblers at the bottom.
-Change out the water every other day depending on how many bait you have in the bucket.  Ammonia will build up at the bottom and kill your shiners if don't change out the water.
-Also when you do change out the water make sure it's at the same temperature your bait is currently in or you will shock them and you'll lose a bunch.
The only time I learn something is when I'm not talking.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2020, 10:46 AM »
If your just keeping them for a day or two, just keep them from freezing. If you ever add water to the bucket or change the water, make sure there’s no chlorine/chloramine in it. You can get water conditioner from a pet store or use lake water. Also try to make it the same temp as the water the bait is at.

Offline PoleJerker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2020, 11:39 AM »
I find Styrofoam works really well.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2020, 12:00 PM »
pretty much what has been said already

Styrofoam is possible

Circular bucket-keeps shiners from hitting sides, causing trauma before they can be used

use a bubbler never hurts, keep it an inch or 2 below water line to prevent freezing over.

Change water as needed, metabolisms are very slow when bait is cold, shouldnt dirty the water too fast but if you have alot of bait in a small volume of water, it may need to be changed more often.

check the shiners, if they look happy, leave them be, if they are all at the top of the bucket and gulping for air, change water and makes sure bubblers are supplying enough oxygen. Alot of bubblers look real good because they bubble like crazy but your not getting any dissolved oxygen in the water which is what the bait needs

I use 2 bubblers, one at the bottom and one under the waterline at top. I can keep over 5 dozen shiners for a long time with simple water changes every few days in a 5 gallon bucket. It stays in my unheated garage and I usually have no freezing issues

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chuck Enwinde

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2020, 01:26 AM »
Most of the bait shops in this area will give you a bag with a shot of oxygen in it before they seal it up.  Left in the bag and kept in the fridge (or similar temp) they'll last for weeks.  Get them in a few separate bags and open as needed.   Once a bag is opened all of the above advice applies. 

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:15 AM »
And don’t feed them

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2020, 08:35 AM »
Insulated bait bucket,keep cold,water changes if keeping for awhile and aerator.i like the metal marine baby bubbles.it uses aa batteries instead of c or d. 

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2020, 02:19 PM »
The best way to keep minnows alive out on the ice is to keep them in your mouth...

How many do you buy for a trip?

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2020, 07:11 PM »
How many do you buy for a trip?
I think he’s confusing minnows with wax worms or spikes (maggots), I think I’d rather have the fish though lol.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2020, 07:06 AM »
Back in the hayday of fishing on Lake Champlain we would buy "mixed bait" by the quart in Whitehall, either Yell's or Tykes bait store.  We used a battery powered bubbler in the car, then when we got out on the ice, we would throw in some ice chips to cool them down (Important) and then drill overlapping holes and put the floating part of a two port minnow bucket in the big hole with the bait.  To "service" tipups we would put a few minnows and a bait net in a smaller bucket and carry that around as the flags went up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.