Author Topic: Blackstrap 2014-2015  (Read 41993 times)

Offline corney

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2014-2015
« Reply #180 on: Jan 04, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Had planned on going out today, Nah that would be stupid!

I looked around the lake and didn't see any movement on the Northend. Good because it was stupid cold out there!

STARS landed by the Hole in the Wall about 3:45 PM today. I hope that wasn't one of you fellows in there?  I also hope that whomever was In there is OK!!!

Impressive to watch and everyone should support STARS and our local ERP groups.  Someday my family, friends or myself may require this assistance!!!!

gman51

« Reply #181 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:02 AM »
was out for the afternoon yesterday, cold yes, stupid ...well it all depends on your set up.i suppose if your sitting on a pail in -35 with a 25km wind with no shelter or heat that might fall into the cookoo category..lol. helps that you can drive on also to get to your spot.that in its self makes it more tolerable.fished out in front of the hill.22 fow. from 3-6 caught 2 pike seen a handful of targets come and go.now that I'm comfortable with driving on i can get to my prime spots i like to fish....  my prime spots not yours ;D lol.. anyway don't let a little chilly weather stop you. get out there and get your fix. good luck.

Offline Lprefs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #182 on: Jan 06, 2015, 11:56 AM »
I heard through the rumour mill that it was an old guy that had too much to drink and crashed his snowmobile... hopefully he's okay.

Offline Yaholnitsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:15 PM »
Was out in front of shields today 11-3pm . Brought in a nice 7lb pike in 22 FOW. Lost another at the hole and a few more bites. Cold outside but warm in the shack . Moving a little shallower maybe 15 FOW so we can see fish on bottom easier . No perch and one walleye this season , lots of pike . Need a change .

gman51

« Reply #184 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:36 AM »
out for another evening fish last night, north of the main beach area.nothing marked from 230-4 in 21fow from around 5 til 6 had quite a few marks show up most were of the smaller variety.did have a few bigger marks throughout the hour landed 1 bigger walleye like 1.5lb big. the rest were looking. caught on the Lindy flyer perch glow...worth another trip in that area,seems to have a darker,softer bottom also. ;)

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #185 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Anybody been catching any perch lately?

Offline Pollock fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #186 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:33 AM »
The last two times I went out I have not seen many. Where as a month ago where I fish is see schools of em all morning and evening. So me personally I have not been catching em the last two weeks. Lots of jacks.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Jan 08, 2015, 09:29 AM »
Perch tend to stay deep in mid-winter. Go deeper and farther away from shore and sunken structure and you will find them.

Offline flandersander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Evans road today. Slow is a good word to describe it. Caught this guy, and lost another like him at the hole. Was hoping for perch or walleye. Oh well!
Anybody caught any walleye recently?

Offline Yaholnitsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:36 PM »
Out again today 10-2pm. Drove on from the north end for the first time with my truck. Measured the ice in front of Shields with ice scoop. Ice scoop is over 15 inches , all the way in the hole and didn't feel the bottom of the ice . Brought up one pike about 2 lbs. Slow Slow Slow. Will be moving shack shallower next week when it warms up . In 22 FOW right now. Had my HiDef underwater digi cam on the bottom of the lake today . No fish , no structure . Flat and silty, bit of vegetation . Will see next week .

gman51

« Reply #190 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:48 AM »
not quite sure what people are calling structure or looking for structure in blackstrap in the middle of winter? theres not a whole bunch to choose from.summer time yes you will have weed lines, weed pockets,and weed points.in winter all the weeds are dead and down. its a flooded valley. you will have drop-offs like in front of Shields and other parts of the lake. evans road,theres rock structure in front of long arm bay,across from shields a poplar place .the north end attracts anglers but theres really no structure. some points and there not really points just extended contours.I've even found soft to hard bottom transitions but that's not structure. its a fairly consistent depth at the strap if you look at a topo map. you wont see anything close to what you would find in other lakes even last mountain has what i would call structure.if you look at a depth or contours map.and know what to look for. and especially up north.having said all that there are still a very good population of walleyes in blackstrap I'm sure alot of you can agree.especially for those of you that pound them in the late spring,and summer.their not that hard to catch . that's why they still have the 2 fish limit. you just have to work harder to catch them with any consistency on the hardwater.not alot of structure to hold them means they have to move around more to eat.sitting in one spot ain't gonna do it. again I'm sure there are some of you that have your own spin on blackstrap. this is just mine. good luck fisherpeople....

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Had everything loaded up this morning to head out for morning bite with my son. (Only time we could go this weekend) Pulled the pin.  Pissed off at the weather.  Anyone go out today?
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

gman51

« Reply #192 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:55 AM »
there's hardly any wind today, 5km this afternoon they say, -25 or so for temp. evening fish for me.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #193 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:14 AM »
not quite sure what people are calling structure or looking for structure in blackstrap in the middle of winter? summer time yes you will have weed lines, weed pockets,and weed points.in winter you have Evans road. that's it.all the weeds are dead and down. its a flooded valley. you will have drop-offs like in front of Shields and other parts of the lake. in front of long arm bay,across from shields a poplar place but no structure.the north end attracts anglers but theres no structure. some points and there not really points just extended contours.I've even found soft to hard bottom transitions but that's not structure. its a fairly consistent depth at the strap if you look at a topo map. you wont see anything close to what you would find in other lakes even last mountain has what i would call structure.if you look at a depth or contours map.and know what to look for. and especially up north.having said all that there are still a very good population of walleyes in blackstrap I'm sure alot of you can agree.especially for those of you that pound them in the late spring,and summer.their not that hard to catch . that's why they still have the 2 fish limit. you just have to work harder to catch them with any consistency on the hardwater.no structure to hold them means they have to move to eat. and they slow down quite abit in the winter.sitting in one spot ain't gonna do it. again I'm sure there are some of you that have your own opinions on blackstrap. this is just mine. good luck fisherpeople.... ;D

and what happens when there is no structure in a given body of water....the fish move constantly

gman51

« Reply #194 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:32 AM »
these are just my observations adipose on blackstrap over the last 35 years. and you may have your own.and i respect that. not sure what goes on at every or any given body of water.but I'm sure if i spent as much time on them as i do at the strap i would figure it out. ;)

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Jan 10, 2015, 07:32 PM »
As luck had it, I was able to get out this afternoon for a bit.  Fished 4-6.  24 FOW.  Shields.  Marked a lot of fish on the flasher but they were not interested.  Had several nibbles.  Caught possibly the smallest walleye in the lake.   :)  Had the heater in the shack.  There was hardly a zephyr of a wind on the lake.  Quite serene.  Always good to get out. 

Offline Captainmorgan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I don't believe anything on this forum
« Reply #196 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:21 PM »
We fished from 1 to 5. Lots of fish swimming around. None were too interested. Tried many different presentations but could only get one to bite. Ended up getting off at the hole though.

Offline arron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #197 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:10 AM »
Went  out yesterday  found out  my shack was broken in to they got my tackle box rods and small tv  so just let u no there some buddy out there  doing this so keep a eye on your stuff my shack the small on the north end

Offline goldenrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #198 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:32 AM »
That sucks, mine got broke into last year at the north end , but I don't leave anything worth stealing. Did you notice any other shacks with damaged doors? Gonna head out soon and try the morning bite.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #199 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:24 AM »
If you leave it, they will come.

Offline tikkaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #200 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Can someone tell me if you can get on at shields? Or should a guy be driving from the north launch? Thanks

Offline ryder29

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #201 on: Jan 11, 2015, 07:50 PM »
I would go north end. A chain link fence was put in along the shore at the pump house at Shields. If that is the spot that you were thinking of using.
I'm just trying to get another bite.

Offline darrenf442

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Jan 11, 2015, 08:15 PM »
Go on at the north end.  I agree with Ripn blackstrap is just a bowl. It does have the odd hump but they are few and far between and small, likely not big enough for a perch to hide behind.  But there are certain spots that hold fish spring to late fall , nothing tell tale on DI or SI to show why. Ill be dropping the camera down this summer to see whats up.  And were the fish are this winter they wont be next winter , this is why i LOVE my camera , it tells me the temperature at the bottom, were cold blooded fish swim.

Offline basdif

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Jan 11, 2015, 10:28 PM »
Discovered that chain link fence myself today  ::) So went up and fished the north end dam. Buddy said he saw a fish in his hole and that was it. We weren't there all that long, between 11:00 and 2:30. Ah well.

Offline HellzBells

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Take off to the Great White North
« Reply #204 on: Jan 12, 2015, 07:25 PM »
We went out south of the the pump house by Shields on Saturday. Caught 4 walleye and 1 jack.  The biggest walleye was 1.5 lbs the rest were very small.  The jack was about 1.5 lbs too.  Everything was caught with PK spoons and small minnows in 20 ish feet of water.  We had the best luck with the red dot PK.  The bites didn't begin until about 3:30 and the last one around 5:30.  I was pleasantly surprised with our afternoon!

Offline goldenrod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #205 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Out at the North end sunday from 9 to 5. Caught 5 perch and 4 walleye before noon, nothing after. Was good to see the CO's out.

gman51

« Reply #206 on: Jan 13, 2015, 10:06 AM »
out late afternoon/evening yesterday, west shoreline down from thode. sitting on 22 fow fairly slow had maybe 10 marks show up in 31/2 hours. caught 2 walleye 1 keeper missed a couple.changing up lure,s a few times.interested in the gold with green little cleo.

gman51

« Reply #207 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:02 AM »
in the same area yesterday, west shoreline. windy again, walked holes for the most part. again lots of smaller marks deep in 23 fow nothing wanting to commit. tried 10-14 fow  for the last hour set the hook on a few decent marks but nothing on the ice. wasn't my night. :) so here i sit this morning having a coffee reading posts sharpening hooks.thinking of my next adventure.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:22 AM »
Thanks for all the reports Ripnflutter.  My kids have asked me lately, "How come you never catch anything?"  I tell them, "That's why they call it fishing.  If I wanted to guarantee I would get something, I would just go shopping."  The adventure is the big part of the fun.  Good luck to all going out this weekend.  Be safe. 

Offline Dooman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • matrix cutter
« Reply #209 on: Jan 16, 2015, 06:52 PM »
fished 3-5 today @ north end. 1 small perch. in 4 outings this year so far i have 1 pike, 1 walleye, 1 perch. weak.
"Some people fish their whole lives without realizing it isn't fish they are after"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.