Author Topic: Fished Massabessic lake today,No good  (Read 826 times)

Offline ammoguy5

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fished Massabessic lake today,No good
« on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:00 PM »
I went out on Massabessic lake today at the park by the Rotary. It was really slushy under the snow about 2 to 3 inches of slush and water. I went out about 50 yards. After clearing some snow it only took a couple of minutes to get through the ice with my manual Auger.
 There the ice  was only 3 1/2 inches thick drilled another hole about 20 feet further out then that. 4 1/2 inches there.I know because I had My tape with Me. I hadn't been ice fishing for about 15 years till today. I was trying some small shiners on a single hook with 2 splitshots about 1 foot above the hook.
I had two really good hits at the first hole but didn't get My hook set in time. I only had one ice fishing pole to use today. Will be getting some Tip Ups real soon.
Although I felt safe by myself out there I saw several sleds crossing the lake, The ice seemed too thin for a machine I thought.
A couple of riders parked there sleds on shore after crossing the lake and came out to see how the ice was. They were very surprised to see how thin it was.
Still it was Great to be out on the ice!! Just gotta find a better location..
I Fish, Therefore I Am

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fished Massabessic lake today,No good
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2011, 04:07 PM »
i hear that lake is pretty slow.  two hits off one line is not bad at all!!!!  keep at it and you'll get into 'em!

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
Re: Fished Massabessic lake today,No good
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I used to call that lake the lake of a thousand casts...
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.