The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils blade protector  (Read 1287 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
Nils blade protector
« on: Jun 12, 2012, 02:42 PM »
 Anybody found a better blade protector for the Nils? Mine seems like it never wants to stay on. I found a snap protector that looked pretty cool but they dont make one for the Nils.
 Thanks
  Matt

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nils blade protector
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Strikmaster Works nice.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2012, 04:38 PM »
You can also add earth magnets
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 12, 2012, 04:55 PM »
Didn't realize they had a problem staying on, thanks in advance. Ordering the 6" hand auger soon. Any other problems ?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 PM »
 The 8" power and hand auger are amazing! I had a Eskimo Mako and the Nils is hands down the faster auger. Even using the 8" by hand is easy going through 8" of ice. It always starts easy to. The Mako was a nice auger and ran like a top but I can do two to one holes with the Nils. I will look at Strikemasters cover,and think about the magnets. I want something that will stay on when its on the rack of my sportsman.
  Matt

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Anybody found a better blade protector for the Nils? Mine seems like it never wants to stay on. I found a snap protector that looked pretty cool but they dont make one for the Nils.
 Thanks
  Matt

6" or 8"  with or without guide blade for the power auger?  the regular 6" hand auger covers work fine. The 8" don't stay on as well I simply criss cross the elastic bands and it works pretty well but still not perfect. I like the magnet idea...hmmmm I still wouldn't trade my nils for anything else even of the cover comes off.
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM »
6" or 8"  with or without guide blade for the power auger?  the regular 6" hand auger covers work fine. The 8" don't stay on as well I simply criss cross the elastic bands and it works pretty well but still not perfect. I like the magnet idea...hmmmm I still wouldn't trade my nils for anything else even of the cover comes off.

Mine is the 8" with the power point. I tried the criss cross with the straps and its okay. It would be nice to have something that would go on and stay on. The plastic cover they come with is way to lose even after criss crossing the straps. The blades are super sharp and expensive. The magnets are a good idea but I don't think they will work to good if you get a cold day and some ice builds up on the auger. I agree I would never ever trade my Nils!
  Matt

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2012, 05:46 AM »
  An 8" Strikemaster cover will work on an 8" Nils blade.
I don't like the magnets because they will dull the blade. If you use the magnets put a piece of duct tape over them.
Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2012, 10:36 AM »
The supplied cover has worked OK for me.  It's a bit of a hassle at times, but I just deal with it.  Once you get the hang of it you can put it on & off without much trouble.   I did consider making my own homemade cover out of a plastic bucket to be held in place with bungee cords, but it would be more trouble than it's worth.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Polarised

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 20, 2012, 07:56 PM »
I don't like the magnets because they will dull the blade. If you use the magnets put a piece of duct tape over them.

Don't put the magnet on the blade, can't imaging anyone doing this, but I guess it's possible. I have mine set up to not touch the blade, works very well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.