The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: New auger? Nils 8" power or Stikemaster strike lite 8"  (Read 1274 times)

Offline 240tt

• IceShanty Rookie
Really torn here. Both about the same weight, Nils may be little faster and more money. Any experienced opinions appreciated as I want to replace a Strikemaster Lazermag express.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New auger? Nils 8" power or Stikemaster strike lite 8"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:35 PM »
Nils is a few pounds lighter, roughly 20-21 pounds well proven reliable engine. Solo is yet to be proven in the long term and has had issues. Also take into account if you use a hand auger the Nils works as both hand or power saving you the cost of a seperate auger, or having to carry one incase of motor problems. Blades on the Lazer you replace the Nils you get resharpened for $20. Wise to buy a spare blade that is more than replacement Lazers but a 1 time cost and figuring in sharpening in time you will save money, sharpening time depends on use but average is 3-5 years. As for speed it's close but my 3 year old blades havent been beat by a solo yet. The Tanaka motors on the Nils have been around for 30+ years and honestly they are the best small motor on the market. Tankas are built to industial standards since their market share is mainly gas drills and such for high voltage power line work.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2011, 03:51 PM »
I'll agree with Esox.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:52 PM »
Nils is a few pounds lighter, roughly 20-21 pounds well proven reliable engine. Solo is yet to be proven in the long term and has had issues. Also take into account if you use a hand auger the Nils works as both hand or power saving you the cost of a seperate auger, or having to carry one incase of motor problems. Blades on the Lazer you replace the Nils you get resharpened for $20. Wise to buy a spare blade that is more than replacement Lazers but a 1 time cost and figuring in sharpening in time you will save money, sharpening time depends on use but average is 3-5 years. As for speed it's close but my 3 year old blades havent been beat by a solo yet. The Tanaka motors on the Nils have been around for 30+ years and honestly they are the best small motor on the market. Tankas are built to industial standards since their market share is mainly gas drills and such for high voltage power line work.

+5000 I just got my 8" Nils/ Tanaka today and holy smokes its fast and light! Now I can use my 6" with it as well if I want even lighter.

Craig

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.