The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: My first gas auger  (Read 2975 times)

Offline 440-6kris

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gone Fishin!
My first gas auger
« on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:12 PM »
Im sure this has already been covered several times on here, but I am looking at buying a gas auger and was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice/reviews on whats good and whats junk. There are plenty of options out there and I really dont know what to look for. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Clam22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My first gas auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2011, 10:58 PM »
There all the same. just go on price. If you can finish this season out, the time to buy would be when stores are putting all the icefishing merch on clearance. Good luck let me know what ya find because I will be buying one at some point.
Catchin Fish and Drinkin Beer

Offline Playin_Hooky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2011, 11:44 PM »
I just bought the new 10" Jiffy Pro 4 Propane Auger.... I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. I will admit it's about 10 pounds heavier than the other gas powered augers I looked at. But No priming, No Choke, I don't have to fiddle with mixing gas or flooding. It fires up within 2 two pulls everytime. The propane is so clean that even after sitting all winter I am confident that next winter it will fire right up. The warranty on the Jiffy is excellent. It's the best addition to my ice fishing collection yet.
Screaming drags and tip-ups flyin all winter long that's what I'm all about ~* Dustin Wright *~

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:10 AM »
There all the same. just go on price. If you can finish this season out, the time to buy would be when stores are putting all the icefishing merch on clearance. Good luck let me know what ya find because I will be buying one at some point.

No they are not all the same.  They all do the same thing but there are some big differences between SM and Jiffy, enough of a big difference to make people go one way or the other.

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2011, 05:31 AM »
I don't think you can beat a jiffy or an Eskimo. Both have been around for years and will be for years to come. I have a 10yr old Eskimo, my buddy has a 10 yr old jiffy and those two units are built like tanks. I expect my auger to be here long after I'm gone, and I am only 42yrs old. Id say that is a vote of confidence for a product.
Fish on !

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Get a Jiffy, all metal construction. Made in Wisconsin.

I got my SD60i 2hp 9in Jiffy for $309 from Kittery Trading Post with free shipping. I had it in two days.

I did a lot of research and it's hard to beat this model. Comes with blades and a cover.

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:52 AM »
I have a 8-10 year old Jiffy Legend 3HP.
Runs great and has plenty of power for thick ice.
I had a Strikemaster Lazer Mag before this one.
The Jiffy is definately a better auger.If taken care of
a good power auger  will last a lifetime.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:37 AM »
I.If taken care of
a good power auger  will last a lifetime.

Agree, take care of them, run fresh gas/plugs, and store them properly and you shouldnt have problems.  Also avoid leaving them in your truck to bang around all season.  I bought a bag for mine and it does help on the wear and tear.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:50 AM »
Seems like the newer gas Jiffy motors aren't what they used to be.  The older SM's were nice with a Tecuseh engine.  Now they seem hit or miss.  I don't here many complaints about Mo's though.

I'd go with an older Jiffy, an older SM or a new Mo.

Offline ynotfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:16 AM »
440-6kris-
I have an Eskimo. More than welcome to try it out.

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:48 AM »
Are the metal rings around the bottom of the Mo's very sturdy? They don't have the center point blade like the jiffy do they?

What HP is a 43cc Mo?

Offline superslabs

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Just got rid of a 15 year old Strike Master power head that never let me down. Started every time without fail. Sold it for more that I payed for it.  One thing is for sure the quality in all above said models has been compromised.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Get a Jiffy, all metal construction. Made in Wisconsin.
All new gas auger heads including Jiffy are Chinese.  Anyhow, you can go a different route like I did. Sold the gas Strikemaster for a Strikemaster Electra Lazer. It always starts ..... guaranteed. ;D Best decision I've made fishing wiusde this year. Easiest power auger to maintain that there is ....... probably the most reliable too.
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I've been searching and trying to decide what to buy as well.  It's good to hear so many posts saying good things about Jiffy.  I had heard they weren't that good and to go with SM or Eskimo.  I like the trigger on the SM's.  The Jiffy's and Eskimos have a finger trigger that when I looked at them in the store I thought to myself they might be easy to break.  The SM's have a solid piece that you push down on with your thumb.   Be nice to be able to test drive a few before I buy.   I do like buying American made.   If Jiffy is made in WI then I might need to give them a second look.   I think SM has farmed their stuff off to China and just packages them in MN.  Anyone know where Eskimo makes theirs?

I agree with Clam22 on waiting as prices do get marked down.  Problem then is having a choice on what to get when you go to the store as they might be sold out of what you want.  Reeds has free shipping also right now on augers.  Another thing to consider is warranty.  SM has a 2 year warranty on the Solo Engine.  From what I see the others only offer a 1 year warranty.  I'd like two seasons to make sure it works solid before I am out of warranty.

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2011, 03:53 PM »
All new gas auger heads including Jiffy are Chinese.  Anyhow, you can go a different route like I did. Sold the gas Strikemaster for a Strikemaster Electra Lazer. It always starts ..... guaranteed. ;D Best decision I've made fishing wiusde this year. Easiest power auger to maintain that there is ....... probably the most reliable too.

What happens when the battery is used up and won't charge anymore on those?  I am thinking about a cordless drill.  Eventually the battery life runs out and you need to buy new batteries.  Can you get replacements and for how much if that happens?  I was looking at the Ice Gator heads and if you need to buy a new LithiumIon battery it cost $270.  You can almost buy another gas auger for that price.  I have also considered the electric route but haven't done enough research on them yet.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:02 PM »
What happens when the battery is used up and won't charge anymore on those?  I am thinking about a cordless drill.  Eventually the battery life runs out and you need to buy new batteries.  Can you get replacements and for how much if that happens?  I was looking at the Ice Gator heads and if you need to buy a new LithiumIon battery it cost $270.  You can almost buy another gas auger for that price.  I have also considered the electric route but haven't done enough research on them yet.
The extra 12V batteries for the Electra cost around $30 bucks if you wish to buy one from Strikemaster. I always recharge my batteries for my auger when I get home on the Battery Tender along with my flasher batteries. They should last a few years if properly maintained. Litterally takes 30 seconds to pop out a depleted battery and pop in a fresh one. I got my Electra Lazer 7" for $345 shipped from the Sportsman's Guide. Not as fast as my gas auger but cuts great with the lazer blades. Instant power. No mixing gas, no plugs, no carbs, no pull ropes, no smell, no fussiness, no leaks, no winterizing, etc. The auger also comes with battery indicator, car charger, and external jumpers too for endless power from a quad, car, or any other external power source. 

Offline IceinKzoo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2011, 04:09 PM »
That sounds very good to me.   I was hoping they weren't like the ice gator prices.   I have a buddy on IS that I fish with who just purchased the SM Electric.  I will have to look it over and give it a spin.  I don't think we have to worry about ice getting so thick around Kalamazoo that a electric wouldn't cut through.  Thanks for the information.

Offline 440-6kris

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gone Fishin!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:56 PM »
Broke down today and bought a Jiffy model 77, went out and drilled a few holes and I already love it. I will really put it to the test this weekend.
Thanks to everybody for the tips.

Offline pzoch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Congratulations on your new investment and
many years of drilling holes.

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2011, 10:49 PM »
I got a one year old Jiffy sd60i for $150 this year...guy retired and went to florida...she's mint.
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Sleddude1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:26 AM »
I got a one year old Jiffy sd60i for $150 this year...guy retired and went to florida...she's mint.

That's an awesome deal. Their hard to find. I paid $309 for mine.

Offline PauliePiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2011, 06:47 AM »
I have the Eskimo 33cc 8",it is a great machine!It is my second gas auger.Every auger is about the same,being they all have their personality.I mean they all have to be primed 1,2,or 3 pumps,choked for 30 seconds to a minute before cutting.The most important thing is how you care for your auger,I would suggest running sta-bil in the gas at all times,and at the end of the season completely run it out of gas to prevent varnishing in the carburetor,very important!!!!The buy a new spark plug for it every season,and make sure the plug is gapped properly,don't assume the gap is correct,do the gap yourself.The auger is like any other piece of gas powered equipment,it will treat you,how you treat it.Good luck,and ICE THOSE FISH!!!!
ICE THOSE FISH!!!

Offline rippin lipps

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:48 PM »
i have the sm 8" 4 cycle on my 3rd year with runs great and quite and no mixing oil and gas   also no more sore elbows and shoulders

Offline strike1st

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2011, 05:58 PM »
That's an awesome deal. Their hard to find. I paid $309 for mine.

The better deal was the one season old vex fl-12 pro pack from the same guy for $150. My buddy got that.  :tipup:
"All men have fears, but the brave put down their fears and go forward, sometimes to death, but always to victory" motto of the King's Guard in ancient Greece.

Offline Dooger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2011, 12:11 AM »
  I do like buying American made.   If Jiffy is made in WI then I might need to give them a second look.   I think SM has farmed their stuff off to China and just packages them in MN.  Anyone know where Eskimo makes theirs?

I know SM's engines are made in Germany.  Mo's in Asia I believe (Korea).  I'm not positive that Jiffy's are made solely in WI.

Have fun trying to buy any that are solely American made though....

RedRock Store in Ely, MN just had a Z51 Eskimo Shark 10" for $310 ($325 shipped to your door)

Offline Tipup Master

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad start to the day!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:37 AM »
Prior to ordering a Nils 6 inch which I've yet to receive, I did alot of reading on gas augers.  One model seemed to standout and consistently get great reviews.  The Jiffy model 30.  I also noted older ones seem to be built with more steel and better motors (Tecumseh).

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2011, 07:38 AM »
Strikelite user here.  4 stroke engine.  ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2011, 02:48 PM »
I know SM's engines are made in Germany.  Mo's in Asia I believe (Korea).  I'm not positive that Jiffy's are made solely in WI.

Have fun trying to buy any that are solely American made though....
Sorry, The Jiffy powerheads are Chinese now. SM heads are German engineered but made in Asia. Eskimos are Chinese as well ..........  :-\

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 12, 2011, 07:03 AM »
I've never owned a gas auger before either, and I just bought a 10 year old Jiffy 30. It's terrific. I've probably drilled 100 holes with it so far and it's been flawless. Starts when cold 1st or maybe 2nd pull, let it sit at half choke for 20-30 seconds and then take it off choke and let it rip. No issues, cuts sweet. I'm sure they are just like snowmobiles... all brands are kick-a$$ when they run, and they all are junk when they don't.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.