New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sled storage  (Read 2090 times)

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
sled storage
« on: Feb 25, 2018, 03:40 PM »
I put my Clam 2 man sled away today. I built a support frame from 2x4s and set the sled on it so the runners fit tight against the frame. Then I raised it up on a pully rig (made for hanging a kayak) and hung it from the rafters in the barn. No mice!!! Switched it out with the kayak and now ready for open water. Works great , but you have to keep it light; no gear stored in the sled.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: sled storage
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2018, 06:16 PM »
put bounce drier sheets into it put a  few  right in the canvas......mice  don't like them

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2018, 06:28 AM »
Mouse Magic  works well.  You can find it a garden nursery.  Been using it for years and no mouse holes in my flipover.   

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2018, 09:31 AM »
Mouse Magic  works well.  You can find it a garden nursery.  Been using it for years and no mouse holes in my flipover.

Agree on the Mouse Magic packs.  Used them last year in my mobile meat bird chicken coop during the off season which is usually mouse city and they worked great.  I also put them in my boat this winter instead of mothballs and so far so good. 

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:02 AM »
Agree on the Mouse Magic packs.  Used them last year in my mobile meat bird chicken coop during the off season which is usually mouse city and they worked great.  I also put them in my boat this winter instead of mothballs and so far so good.

Going to have to give them a try.  Up to 30 mice in traps since Oct. in my shed.  None in the chicken coop, my chickens eat them...

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2018, 11:21 AM »
None in the chicken coop, my chickens eat them...

My layer hens eat mice and frogs also except at night when they're roosting and the mice come in their coop for a little snack.  Seems like chickens eat about anything they can fit in their mouth! 

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2018, 07:07 PM »
 For Clam  Ice shelter storage...

Clam recommends that you make sure the tent fabric is completely 100%  DRY before storing it away for summer/fall.....and...

also remove the DRY tent fabric from the frame and store it in a sealed plastic Rubbermaid type tote with dryer sheets and  mothballs for the best (100%) defense against mice , critters, mildew, damage etc ..
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:52 PM »
put bounce drier sheets into it put a  few  right in the canvas......mice  don't like them

This.  I put them in the skeeter every fall when I put it to bed, never had mice.  A few ramik mouse bars will help too in case a few get in.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2018, 08:59 PM »
Bounce!!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2018, 06:53 AM »
My layer hens eat mice and frogs also except at night when they're roosting and the mice come in their coop for a little snack.  Seems like chickens eat about anything they can fit in their mouth!

Got some pics of them with snakes in their beaks too.  Some they shred, some they suck down whole, head first.  Had two roosters take a mouse from the cat too.

Offline 62&done

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2018, 07:37 PM »
I found it very important to get the sled and canvas as clean as possible to start. Remember you've been fishing all winter and now it smells like fish! what else would a mouse want? I set mine up in the driveway, scrub inside and out with a stout laundry detergent with a good scrub brush. rinse well and allow several days to dry. then I spray it well with an odor killing disinfectant and allow that to dry. Lastly, mice hate dryer sheets. they really do. put about 2-3 boxes in your shanty especialy between the canvas folds. Now store it in a dry place. I hang mine on the garage ceiling.    next fall you will have a sweet smelling shanty will no mouse damage 

Offline fullThrottle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I’m just going to let mine roll as is. I need an excuse to tell my wife why I need a new one lol

Offline icebites

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:36 AM »
Definately will try the dryer sheets and want to look for the mouse magic but I built a drop down rack off my trusses in the garage. Got 2 feet of height on a 4 x 8 piece of plywood of extra storage out of it.   

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2018, 03:54 PM »
I have an un-used barn that I use for storage.  I put my fishing huts up on the 2nd floor and set them up.   As long as the canvas isn't folded in the down position the mice have no place to build a nest.  In the up position they also air out all summer.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2018, 04:04 PM »
I keep the sled cover on my otter and that seems to keep them out. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.