The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Perfect for tip ups at night  (Read 3651 times)

Offline dtownalltheway

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perfect for tip ups at night
« on: Jan 14, 2020, 12:40 PM »
Just passing along. I posted on another thread on the main page as a response to being able to see/hear when your tip ups go off at night. I put this on all my tip ups and have more left over. For the price you can't beat it and it works great. $9 for 20 of them including batteries and that is 2 day shipping as well if you have prime. Just when you go to use them unscrew and turn over the battery and screw back in an wala!  :tipup: :tipup:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R2BSY8P

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You hear what happened to Pluto? That's messed up!
Re: Perfect for tip ups at night
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:08 PM »
Lol - I was the one who started the thread!

Glad another Michigander could help me out!

I took your advice and purchased them - like you said, they'll be here in two days!  Thanks again!

Offline Smally22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:14 PM »
Great find!  Thank you
Keep Your Stick on the ICE!!!

Offline Salmonquest

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I once killed a gopher with a stick"
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2020, 08:31 AM »
I"ve used these as well.

Couple of pointers:

Stretch out the springs. It makes the bells have more movement with less motion.

Pile up some snow slush just above the line of site from you to the light when in loaded position. That way you can't see the light or it's dimmer/not obvious until it trips.

Offline dtownalltheway

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Great idea about the snow/slush. That would make it easier to tell for sure it is up. Thanks! :tipup: :tipup:

I"ve used these as well.

Couple of pointers:

Stretch out the springs. It makes the bells have more movement with less motion.

Pile up some snow slush just above the line of site from you to the light when in loaded position. That way you can't see the light or it's dimmer/not obvious until it trips.

Offline aacosta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2020, 07:28 PM »
Ordered some as well!

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:27 AM »
Just received my package of 20 yesterday.  They seem pretty good - I tried to stretch the springs as recommended previous but the spring just pops off - so I guess pull lightly.  I'm not sure if this is really necessary since the bells do jingle pretty good.

I had one random bell by itself in the bag - so I assume one of the pieces broke during shipping but still leaves 19.5 more which are fine to use.

You do need to swap the battery around to make the light work and you can twist down the bottom plastic by the springs to expose the hook to go around the flag. I'll try to take some pictures when we use them at night next weekend. 

Overall, these match exactly what I was looking for - how long they last is TBD.

Offline Simek86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2020, 11:42 AM »
I just got my 20 as well. Someone on this thread should be collecting a commission! The lights are cool, but at the end of the night when my hands are cold and I just want to go home, I could see myself getting lazy and not flipping the battery back around to turn them off. I bought 100 mini glow sticks about a year ago that fit in the little receiver hole perfectly, so Ill probably see how those work out before I start using the lights they came with. Awesome product though, and a great price!

Offline dtownalltheway

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:34 AM »
I should've invented these and sold on Amazon! Hahaha just passing along a good deal when I see it. Glad you guys can take advantage

Offline CeePac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2020, 09:37 AM »
Here is an image of those lights in action for my weekend trip up north.  Everyone was super impressed with how great they worked.  Unfortunately I can't vouch for the bells because we never had a flag go up....Overall: great product, affordable, and works as advertised.  Thanks for the recommendation!!

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2020, 01:56 PM »
Alright my fellow ice fishermen. 
Wanted to post on this subject way back when it was started. But had some stuff in storage that was relevant to this thread. Was at storage yesterday and grabbed the stuff I needed. So here is my contribution. 

I use the cross wing tip ups, spooled with 30# green mono. (Water does not freeze to monofilament very well, so my line doesn't freeze to itself very rarely). Also.... 30lb line has some heft to grab a hold of and has quite a bit of "toughness" to with stand rubbing on the edges of the hole, being stepped on, and or whatever we do stupid at times. Bobber is a reset marker for once I set the depth. Single gap hook. (Less spit outs/drops from walleyes as they can't feel the extra barbs treble hooks have.) Rubber band around hook then stretched out and hooked on spool to keep line taught and from tangling. 
Red tip up light that has a tip switch in it. When flag is down, light is off, flag trips and goes up, light turns on. No having to build slush walls to hide the constant glow of a glow stick or light that stays on the whole time.

Hole cover was a 6'x 2' anti-fatigue mat from Harbor Freight, that I cut it into 12"x12" squares,  then cut a "straight'ish" line from the side and cut a tight fitting 1/2"×1/2" (about) square in the center that's is not parallel to the sides. Covers holes nicely and doesn't need to be taken off to check, catch a fish, or to reset the tip up. By cutting center to fit tight, it grips the tip up tight. 

Know I'm late to the party, but have a lot of free time now with the stay at home order, so better late than never. Might help you next year, or give you an idea to try.

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2020, 02:32 PM »
Oh yeah....... use a barrel swivel to connect the 30lb line to a 6 foot, 6lb leader line. 

Stay safe and healthy.

Tight lines when you can. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 13, 2020, 05:17 PM »
dang nab it i knew i should have read the entire thread!  2 posts in and there i go to amazon to place my order - 10/$3.99 cad. - but then i'm thinking to myself how great it would be if the light only came on when it was vertical...

oh well what's $3.99.  so wingfan87  ;D do you have a link to where you got your lights?

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2020, 02:47 AM »
I would get them from the "old" Gander Mountain, here in Lansing. Bought about ten on clearance when Gander was going out of business. Have a supply of back ups now.
Not sure if Gander Outdoors carries them or not. Or if you can find them online, haven't had a need to look for them. I have been using these lights before my 17 year old daughter was born. They work great. Batteries last for years. Which they should, because the only time the light is on is when there is a fish, checking, or resetting your tip up.
I turn the battery backwards and insert it into the battery opening when not in use. No accidental operating (discharging of the battery) of the light that way. Turn it around when in use. Hope this helps.
Doe Slayer saw this in action on Saginaw bay when we went fishing once. His girlfriend says: what's that light? Oh... that's my tip up. Caught about a 24 inch walleye. 

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 14, 2020, 03:03 AM »
Ok...... quick Google search revealed a few, which took me to Ebay. 

There are two styles. 
The old style has two metal contacts that need something between them for the light to be off. When the flag goes up, the light has to pull away from what is between the contacts for them to make contact (complete the circuit) and turn the light on.
The newer style has a tilt switch (will say tilt switch on package). Highly recommend this style. Much easier to use.
I used to old style quite effectively for years before they came out with the tilt switch design. 

One thing I will add to my ice fishing arsenal next year is the bells.

Stay safe and healthy.

Tight lines when you can

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #15 on: Apr 14, 2020, 07:13 AM »
dang nab it i knew i should have read the entire thread!  2 posts in and there i go to amazon to place my order - 10/$3.99 cad. - but then i'm thinking to myself how great it would be if the light only came on when it was vertical...

oh well what's $3.99.  so wingfan87  ;D do you have a link to where you got your lights?

http://www.johnnyspond.com/ht-enterprises-omni-strike-lite.html

Offline wingfan87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 14, 2020, 12:45 PM »
Followed the link by 3300, and put 10 in my cart and went to checkout.  Didn't get turned away from that quantity. (I did not order any by the way. Lol) So, you should be able to order however many you need.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 14, 2020, 01:10 PM »
we can only use 2 lines up here but the cheapskate in me is coming out.  $10/light plus probably friggin $50  ::) to get it up to canada so i think i'll stick with my cheap lights and rig them on the tip ups i have with extendable flags.  should work good as there's almost always at least a foot of snow on the ice up here.  thanks for the info anyway wingfan, and for the link 3300 :tipup:

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 14, 2020, 05:44 PM »
Man i might be gettin some of those next Wednesday... Just picked up 3 new flicker shad out of boredom
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.