Author Topic: DIY Sled Tow Bar Ideas  (Read 14149 times)

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
DIY Sled Tow Bar Ideas
« on: Jan 03, 2019, 06:57 PM »
I've got a buddy looking to make a hitch on the cheap for his Otter sled.  I searched, but there weren't as many threads as I would have thought.  Anybody have any suggestions or pics of their homemade hitches that they've made?  I was thinking about using 3/4" conduit and smashing the ends to drill a hole through the middle, then attaching it to the sled with a caribiner or locking quick link. Thanks for any input!

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DIY Sled Tow Bar Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:08 PM »
every man needs a good friend with a welder ;D just copy the manufactured ones as best ya can.

Offline happyheber

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tie on a Maniac the fish'll go crazy!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:35 PM »
I've got a buddy looking to make a hitch on the cheap for his Otter sled.  I searched, but there weren't as many threads as I would have thought.  Anybody have any suggestions or pics of their homemade hitches that they've made?  I was thinking about using 3/4" conduit and smashing the ends to drill a hole through the middle, then attaching it to the sled with a caribiner or locking quick link. Thanks for any input!

That is exactly how I built mine. I also added eye bolts thru my Jett Sled where the rope came thru. Then hook the caribiners to it.  What I found that works better with the same system you are building is a couple extra caribiners at the end hooking to the equipment ( 4 wheeler ) What I have also found that works good is to loop that end together and put it around the 2 inch ball. Easy on Easy off. It was stiff enough that the sled wouldn't come forward into the tires. Unless you turn your 4 wheeler sharp it can get ugly. Tight Lines HH

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2019, 07:59 PM »
That is how I made mine also 3/4 conduit smash ends drill a bolt hole. It has been holding up for 18 years. Had to replace the bolts once. It is bolted solid to the sled I can hitch it to my snowmobile with a rubber strap. No slop wont crash into back of sled when you stop.

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2019, 08:20 PM »
Any of you guys have a pic of how you attach it to the atv or sled hitch?

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:50 PM »
 At the sled I used quick clips with strained wire thru metal conduit. Made them as long as the sled.       The other end has a loop that stretches over the ball on the quad or connects to a T handle I made.    I put a 8 to 10 inch backer wood behind the sled connector so it doesn't crack while being pulled and used short rope loops on the smitty sled. Hope this helps   

Offline jlbrownie_1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:00 PM »
Dragged pics into the post but didn't work..

Offline Terribleusername

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:45 AM »

Offline Terribleusername

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:47 AM »

3/4 galvanized pipe. Don’t remember what it cost but hasn’t failed me yet. Have to drill out the holes bigger on the otter shack. 3’ pipe to the hitch and I drilled a hole for a pin for bumps and piece of mind.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:54 AM »
Lots of ways to do this, on the cheap.  My first one was just a 1/2" rope about 12 ft.  1 10ft. 3/4 thinwall conduit, cut in half.  Thread the rope through the conduits, each end to the sled, Tie a loop in the middle of the rope to slip over your hitchball and adjust the rope length at the sled so you get a somewhat ridgid towbar.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:56 AM »
I used galvanized electrical conduit and crimped the end towards the sled tight, then drilled a hole for a carabiner. Then on the other side I used a single Simpson Hold Down Strap from Home Depot that I cut directly in half. Used self drilling tek screws and a small section of the electrical conduit as a spacer. Works great. JetSled has two big eye bolts I installed with big washers.

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:03 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips and suggestions so far everyone!  I'm going to help him rig it up and I'll post pics once it's done. 

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2019, 10:25 AM »
I got a pair of these @ Farm Fleet to attach a harness or hitch to my Otter. The 3/8" ones are $2.50 each and fit the existing hitch pocket holes tightly. One disadvantage to enlarging those holes by very much is the loss of support for whatever you attach there. I did have to take a 3/8 drill and "re-drill" the holes so it was a little easier to get the pins in and out. Still they fit very tightly minimizing wear on that part of the sled.

Clip, tie or otherwise fasten to the center part between the hitch pocket supports if towing. For harness use I've clipped to the handles or the center part
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2019, 09:10 PM »

Mine is similar to this.  I used 1/2" Black Iron pipe run between eyebolts.  I screwed caps on the ends of the pipe with a T in the middle for the tongue.  The PVC is used as a spacer to keep the pipe from sliding around. 

I used the exact same tongue and pin as TerribleUserName.  It's 5 feet long, screws into the T in the pipe. Works good.   

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline EmptyPockets410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:37 AM »

Offline EmptyPockets410

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:39 AM »
This is what I welded up for my older Otter. This was before they had molded hitch points on the sled so it just has a couple eye bolts through the front.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.