Author Topic: Flasher suggestions  (Read 175412 times)

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher suggestions
« Reply #60 on: Dec 26, 2008, 02:47 PM »
I was sold on vex for many years and had decided on a vex for my first flasher until i found the vx-1s at Gander mountain for $199, then it was kind of a no brainer....My plan was to use my vx-1 for 2 seasons and by then the new models of all brands will probably be out and i will be able to better decide what the upgrade would be.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:41 PM »
   Take a look at the Lowrance X67 Ice Machine, for $267.00 you get a flasher style screen but with dead clean line and color delination and nice big lit numerical depth readout right smack dab in the middle of the screen! No dual scales to read or figure out. Super separation and very easy controls. Graph screen with split screen option in real time - use this a few times and you really get to likeing it. Zoom feature, fish alarm, different cone transducers are available. the X68 has mapping features as well. These units were a step up and away from standard flashers and are extreemely easy to operate and read.

Spin

Offline mnoutdoor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Dec 30, 2008, 04:34 PM »
nice job. bean

Offline Fishing_Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Dec 31, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Bean- Do you mind if I post this on a different site?

Great info!

Chris

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2009, 07:06 AM »
Nope. But if you could put "Courtesy of IS" somewhere, that would be nice.
Ken                                          

Offline Fishing_Freak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 01, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Thanks a lot Bean. Great info again.

Chris

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:36 AM »
Any update ont he Battery power of this unit?????????  Does the extra power = a lot less battery time or are we just talking a couple of hours?

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Just got a new vx-1P ordered from ebay for 275! I am pretty excited to see it in action

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 30, 2009, 11:34 AM »
Hey Bean, I think it's about time you give in and do a write up on the LCD units!!!

Cheers

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:07 PM »
That's alright. I'll let someone else tackle that one.
Ken                                          

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Oct 09, 2009, 07:26 PM »
I have 3 actually. A vexilar FL-18, a marcum LX-5, and a gander mountain GS-X.  I've gotten some great deals by buying off of e-bay during the off season.
I have one ice buddy that mostly fishes tip-ups, but every now and then he'll get his jigging rod out, so I'll let him use one then. I also have a friend that I want to teach him about ice fishing, since he's never tried it. That's the reason I have that many.
what is your favorite and why ?
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Oct 09, 2009, 07:48 PM »
Well, since then I sold the FL-18. So I only have the LX-5 and the Gander GS-X now. I love the LX-5 for everything it does and it's super crisp display. It does everything I want in a flasher. But that's me. Everyone should choose a flasher around their budget and the waters they fish. If your budget affords it, get a flasher with zoom as the minimum. You'll never regret it. Keep an eye on craigslist and e-bay for some deals.
Ken                                          

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Oct 09, 2009, 07:55 PM »
That's alright. I'll let someone else tackle that one.

lol
Andrew

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Oct 10, 2009, 03:49 AM »
lol
Thanks for the info. I think I will look into the marcum.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Oct 10, 2009, 07:11 AM »
Thanks for the info. I think I will look into the marcum.
  Picked up an L-X5 early this spring, from REEDS; Will let you know how it works as soon as we have ice.....I'm sure that I will like it/ hope I wasn't spoiled by using my liquid display all these years????.....That sure worked for me/ Hard or Soft water!......Give me a heads up when you come up this winter,  Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Oct 10, 2009, 07:52 AM »
I will be there on new years day for brookies. Hope for cold weather.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:18 AM »
I have updated the prices for the 2009/10 season. The prices listed are manufacture's suggested retail prices.
Ken                                          

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #77 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:20 AM »
thanx for the update...Im still holding on to my vex, though I would like to hear from all those who bought humminbirds last season on how they held up after a full season on the ice

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #78 on: Oct 14, 2009, 12:23 PM »
I've always fished with a vex, but picked up a Marcum LX-5 this year and am excited to try it.  I've run it in the "demo" mode and I can already tell the lights are a lot more vivid than my FL-20.  Apparently Vexilar uses two different colors (red and green) and then mixes those colors to create yellow.  Marcum (true color technology) uses 3 colors (red, green and yellow) so you get a truer color pattern and apparently gives you cleaner definition.  I'll be interested to try it out.  I used Vexilar for 15 years and was very happy with them, but reading reviews on Marcum, I thought I would try it.  I'll let you know what I find. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Oct 17, 2009, 11:54 AM »
lol

Oh! I see how it's going to be...  Lol 

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #80 on: Oct 17, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Am I the only one who was not super impressed with the marcum's Ive seem? I have fishes along side guys using a marcum and tried one myself for a few minutes. I found there was a slight delay compared to my vex. I may not have noticed if I had not been fishing the vex all morning and just moved over to try it. Something felt differnt.  looks like a solid product, same as the humminbird...but 50years is tuff to beat

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Oct 18, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Am I the only one who was not super impressed with the marcum's Ive seem? I have fishes along side guys using a marcum and tried one myself for a few minutes. I found there was a slight delay compared to my vex. I may not have noticed if I had not been fishing the vex all morning and just moved over to try it. Something felt differnt.  looks like a solid product, same as the humminbird...but 50years is tuff to beat

Don't know what models you are comparing but I have both a vexilar FL-20 and a MarCum LX-5 and run both side by side alot. Hands down the LX-5 out performs the FL-20 shallow and deep. The only delay I have seen from the MarCum is the amount of time it takes my brain to realize that I should be setting the hook. and as far as the VPG's go if they will make one with a color screen I wouldn't mind having one of those either. Hope their listening.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #82 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:33 PM »

I shun marcum for one reason only, that terrible transducer arm.  I hate those things with a passion.  I fell in love with the Vexilar float system, and now a Humminbird ICE-35.  From the marcums I've seen, they are no doubt up to the task, but that transducer arm is a deal breaker for me.  I know I could just add a float to it aftermarket, but then I've got a vexilar branded float on a marcum?  Blasphemy some would say!

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 07, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Nice!  I got a FL-20 the first year they came out & love it.  Got rid of my x67 after 2 years.  Didn't like it at all.  No problems ever with my Vex.  I did get to fish with the ICE-55 the year before they came out.  Brian Brosdahl had them to try out.  Really a great product & would buy one, but then I have no complaints with my FL-20.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #84 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:22 PM »
Well after much reading, research, deliberation, and budget manipulation, I've finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Lx-3tc from reeds today.  Honestly for me this came down to technology.  You just can't compare this $349.00 unit to a vex at the same price point.  I know I will be happy with it.  Not that I wouldn't be happy with a vex but for saving a hundred plus dollars I will carry a bucket with my gear.  I may spring $4.99 for a rod caddy to strap on my bucket, tho........
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:41 PM »
Being a former Vex guy I didn't like the Marcum arm when I got my LX-5 a few years ago, now I wouldn't want a float. no more moving trasducer, no more tangled lines and no more reaching to pull the ducer. I wouldn't let a $2 foam float be my sole decision on to try a unit or not. I wouldnt trade my LX for anything I have ever fished with, I also agree it blows the FL-20 out of the water.

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #86 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:57 AM »
Just drill an extra hole and drop the ducer down that one so you don't have to mess with a float or arm. I fish Marcum and have no problems with the arm.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:13 AM »
Just drill an extra hole and drop the ducer down that one so you don't have to mess with a float or arm. I fish Marcum and have no problems with the arm.
  X-2 on drilling an extra hole.(been working for me many years).....Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:39 PM »
No arguements with the Marcum here. 

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #89 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:08 PM »
  X-2 on drilling an extra hole.(been working for me many years).....Lou

I guess I'm used to fishing out of a 10" hole, so the float doesn't bother me.  Fishing shallow, trying to drill 2 holes, I probably wouldn't see my jig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.