Author Topic: Humminbird Helix Ice 7 G2  (Read 4979 times)

Offline 0369GySgt

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird Helix Ice 7 G2
« on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:25 PM »
Hello,  first post since joining in 2012.  Theres alot of great info on this site.  My ice fishing purchases were based on the information gained here.  I have run flashers in the past ( Marcum LX-5 and Bird. 35 as a backup).  With technology advancing, I think I'd like to entertain the thought of purchasing a graphing unit.  The. Humminbird Helix ice 7 G2 series has caught my eye.  Can anyone offer their thoughts on this model?  How are they performing on the ice this year? My concerns are battery life, will this unit fit inside a bucket?  Is the pixel count fine enough for details?  Is there other units I should look into for the same cost?
Thank you.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
Re: Humminbird Helix Ice 7 G2
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2017, 01:35 PM »
I have heard nothing bad about them. There have been a couple threads about them on here. Maybe try the search function?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline woodyth

• IceShanty Rookie
  • IS there ICE YET!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:42 PM »
Welcome Aboard!

After owning a lx-7 for 3 years and a Clearwater classic previous to that, I liked the Marcum, but seemed always I was "bothering" them when I called with questions. Others have said the same about humminbird,so there's that. There is multiple youtube videos about them and seems, like most things, are trial and error. I put mine in demo mode and learned the features at my kitchen table though. I especially like the fact that I can use it year round, without too many upgrades to buy. One thing I have noticed and has become a deal sealer for me, the battery life. I was amazed a big screen like that could go that long.

One thing I am not so sure about is which chip to purchase. Lakemaster pro seems to be what everyone is buying, but that is pretty steep for software that should come WITH the unit. From what I can tell all the best features are dependent on that chip.

One thing I have to say about marcum is the lithium shuttle could quite possibly make this,  the perfect ice setup. I'd like to see a big discussion on this unit as there seems to be something new around each feature I find.

Just my 0.02
Woody
Firemen do it best!
IX-XI-MMI NEVER FORGET!!!

PS3: WOODYTH:bang:

Offline 0369GySgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2017, 08:37 PM »
Thanks for the reply's. 
As far as the search function goes, there's not much about the G2 versions performance on the hard water.  That's due to it being a new version, I believe.   I see allot on the G1 versions though.  Youtube is the same.  Lots of videos of the features, very few with actual on the ice experience.  With ice currently in the ice regions, I figured someone could expand on the newer model.  My question is does the G2 version live up to the advertisements?  Is the interference adjustments better than the previous version?  Anyone know how long the battery lasts on the ice? Is this unit a close competitor to the LX-7?

Thank-you.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:04 PM »
Not a lot of info out there. I have a Helix 9 di g2 gps in one boat and a Helix 7 di g2 gps in the other. I haven't converted the Helix 7 for the ice yet.  Both are nice units.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2017, 09:22 PM »
I know a guy that works in the fishing industry and as a result, gets to demo these units every year.  He said that there is a big difference between the Gen1 and Gen2 units.  The primary differences are the speed of the LCD (in flasher mode)....much more real-time in the Gen2 version and the interference rejection....much better on Gen2.  Sounds like if  you are going to use the Helix on the ice, the Gen2 is definitely the way to go. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2017, 10:29 AM »
there is 0 lag in the response on a g1 - i can put mine side by side with any other finder out there and have the same exact response time

as for chips....if you only fish maybe one or two bodies of water just use the chartselect lakemaster maps. You can import those chart select maps into Humminbird FishSmart phone app as well - no need for navionics on your phone. If you fish the entire region, get the full region chip. You can also make your own charts with autochart live on open water and use them while ice fishing. Me, I use chart select for the two pools I typically fish on the Mississippi.

Catchin' Fish

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:29 AM »
Thinking of getting a Helix 7 to use on the ice (at least for mapping) and in my boat.  Based on what I'm seeing, you can either buy an "open water" version of the Helix which comes with an open water transducer or you can buy the "ice" version that comes with the carry case and ice-ducer.  In either example you would have to buy another ducer; either an open water ducer (if you buy the ice set up) or the ice ducer (if you buy the open water set up).  I'm thinking I will buy the open water version and mount it to a Genz blue box.  Add a neoprene screen protector, get the ice ducer and it is ready for both my boat and for the ice.  Anybody put a 7 on a Genz box?  Just wondering how it would fit on there; huge or about the right size? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Arlberg20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2017, 11:34 AM »
i asked some questions on here and didn't get much help    ive only had mine out once but my battery lasted 7.5 hours  i took a spare with me but was packing up when it died  it was showing 50% then went to 0%  i think it will be a sweet unit once i get it figured out   i am not familiar with the humminbird units but i have learnt a few things i will try next time out

Offline 0369GySgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:36 PM »
Again, thanks for the replys.

I've never owned a Humminbird, my boats equipped with all Garmin products.  I'd like to try a bird though. This will be a dedicated ice machine so If I pull the trigger on the Helix, it will be strictly for hardwater.  My LX-5 works great, but after awhile staring at the dial, my eyes get tired.  With the eyes not as sharp as they used to be, I think the 7 inch model will benefit me the most.  Now I need to see one first hand and physically go through the settings.  Thanks again.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:46 PM »
I bought a G2 Helix7 this summer for my boat, and this fall, bought the ice bag/shuttle kit. Already had the battery and charger from a former unit.
I also bought the 1521 chirp transducer, then did firmware update.
The Helix 7 is a great unit once you get onto the new technology. Coming from a 587cI HD was a major learning curve.
The firmware update allows the use of the new 1521 chirp ice 'ducer and add some additional screens and new functions to the
head unit. One of the best for ice fishing is the ability to have a combo screen, which gives you the flasher AND the graph at the same time,
side by side. It also adds interference rejection aimed at warding off the vexilars and other sonars that may cause interference.
will NOT fit in a bucket with the ice kit. Its just barely too big.
Battery life can be greatly increased by either turning down the screen brightness or choosing a different color pallet that has a black back ground.
The LCD lamp uses more power than any other part of the unit.

The Chart Select maps are a good thing IF you live in an area that has Hi-Def lakes. There are no ""non HD lakes" available on Chart Select.
If you're in MT, the NW States version is the only chip to get. Navionics has HD maps of Flathead lake and very few others and many of our smaller lakes
are not in the Navionics option. I have the Lakemaster card, and I use the Navionics app on my tablet for Flathead Lake in the boat.
IF you want to make your own maps, the Auto Chart Live is a great feature but be aware, You MUST use Humminbirds "Zero Lines" SD card to record them on (125+ bucks).
and the PC software is expensive as heck. Find a reputable dealer who knows HB and quiz them to death, and/or do diligent research on the net.
Humminbird makes great products and has great accessories but you WILL pay for each of them,
IF you have any aspirations of using your new Helix to link up to a electric trolling motor, make sure you get the G2N version which is the networkable one.
Again, HB products are awesome, but every time you want to add something, its gonna cost you more money than it should.
Get the Helix7 for the screen size and great resolution. If you want bigger screen, skip the 9 and go to the 10 or 12.
 The nine has a bigger screen but is the same resolution as the 7, so it aint as tasty :)

After all that, since you want strictly an ice machine, get the H7 ice version, you will love it.
I belong to 3 Humminbird Facebomb groups and no one has been disappointed with the Helixs on the ice
Get bit!

Offline 0369GySgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2017, 10:57 AM »
Great Replys

After much research on here and other online sites I pulled the trigger on the Helix Ice 7 G2 version.  The best price I found online was at Hodges Marine but they were out of stock.  I opted for the "Notify me when in stock" option on Wednesday.  Friday, I received a email from Hodges stating that the G2 Ice version was in stock.  Yesterday, Saturday,  I ordered it and it should be delivered next week.  I'm sure there will be a learning curve going from a flasher to a graph but having the flasher AND graph onscreen at the same time will reduce the turnover time.  If this thing performs as expected, the flashers will be gifted to my sons.  They will be stored in my basement when not being used so they will be available as backup. 
  I live in Michigan and we now have the makings of a great ice season.  I spent the last 2 days on some local lake ice with my sons and friends.  We had a great time and with the current weather forcast it wont be long before we can get out on Saginaw bay with quads.  I am really looking forward to some great walleye fishing with the Helix.  Thanks again to everyone who took the time to post on this thread.  I took the plunge and now I'm committed to the Helix.  HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Great Replys

I'm sure there will be a learning curve going from a flasher to a graph but having the flasher AND graph on screen at the same time will reduce the turnover time.

Someone give this man a cookie!  ;D
Get bit!

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:23 AM »
Any 1st hand reports of fishing the new Helix around Marcum/ Vexilar units? I’ve been using a Lowrance Hook, and usually don’t fish in crowds. But yesterday trying to read the graph around a Marcum was VERY frustrating.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:27 AM »
They aren't affected by Marcum units (dropped both transducers in the same hole with zero interference on either unit).

Offline 0369GySgt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:22 PM »
I was just informed that the Helix unit I ordered is not in stock, even after I was sent an email that it was before ordering.  I'm alittle upset.  What crosses my mind is deceptive practices but nothing I can prove.  They say it is expected to ship around 19 January so its only a couple weeks away.  I'll try to remain positive and be patient.  I do still have my LX-5 so I can get out on the ice.  I was really looking forward putting the Helix to test this week but that will have to wait. 

Offline Yankee Troller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Gen 1 and Gen 2 are both very good units. I'm still running my Gen 1 until my Gen 2 arrives. With the ICE HELIX 7's (no matter which generation) you should get a full day out of a battery IF you turn your screen brightness down (5 is recommended). I do this anyway becasue in the hut a screen brightness of 10 really is too bright.

The Gen 2 comes with some extra features, which some may think are worth it, but the best feature of the Gen 2 is how CHIRP lowers the target separation. Humminbird never claimed great target separation (when compared to the other brands) but always seemed to work great. The Gen 2 with CHIRP technology has narrowed their claimed target separation. That in and of itself make the Gen 2 a better buy.

As for mapping cards in your HELIX units look into ChartSelect. Basically instead of buying a Lakemaster card for $1xx you can just buy the lakes you fish (if they are available on ChartSelect). New lakes are still being loaded. You buy a SD card, download the lakes you want, and insert the card into the HELIX. Once you buy the map on your ChartSelect account you can also download the Humminbird FishSmart App on your phone and that map will be there also (like the Navionics app).

I am a Humminbird Pro with many years of experience using these units. I've ran the core series, ONIX, HELIX, and soon I'll be running the SOLIX units. I'm mostly running these on my charter boats Spring-Fall, but I've run the ICE55, ICE688, and ICE HELIX 7 on the ice as well. If you have any questions I can most likely answer them for you. If not, I'll try to get you one.
Clam Pro & Yukon TC
Humminbird ICE55 & ICE HELIX 7
Thorne Bros Custom Ice Rods - Quiverstick, Power Noodle, Perch Sweetheart, Med Walleye Sweetheart, MH Walleye Sweetheart, and Deadstick
Daiwa Laguna Reels
Strikemaster 10" Lazer Pro & 6" Lazer
Ice Fishing Innovations Rod Locker

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:20 PM »
I love my helix 7 G2. Haven't had any problems with it and it works great. The cards gets expensive so take that into consideration. I have the smartstrike card for my area and they run 200 bucks. I got mine for 135 tho. Still not cheap. I like the fact that I can use it in open water.  The 7 will fit in a bucket but if size is a problem get the 5. Same unit just smaller. Target separation isn't as good as vex but I haven't had any problems landing fish. The only thing that I really don't like is the buttons don't have backlighting.

Offline Jim F

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:44 PM »
The only thing that I really don't like is the buttons don't have backlighting.

+1, I fish very early AM and at night, unlighted buttons are a pain till you memorize them
Get bit!

Offline basscat45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Can navionics sd card be used in the helix 7?

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2018, 01:16 PM »
I have a Humminbird Solix for the summer (expensive BUT it is like a robot butler managing my MinnKota trolling motor which is an awesome combination) and I can use the same expensive chip I have in my summer gear in the Helix for ice fishing. Summer fishing electronics are still far more expensive than hard water gear.  At some level, it seems that once I have purchased the soft water stuff, the hard water is a free bonus.

Also, a killer feature of Humminbird is that I can build super-accurate maps in the summer with my boat (with individual boulders, etc) and then use these same maps in the winter by installing my summer map chip in the Helix. An awesome plus. It makes sense if you can double-dip.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Arlberg20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Can navionics sd card be used in the helix 7?
yes   i put one in my ice helix g2

Offline basscat45

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:55 PM »
      Thanks Arlberg20

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.