Author Topic: Connecting two clam flip shacks for tow  (Read 1165 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Connecting two clam flip shacks for tow
« on: Jan 07, 2022, 07:27 PM »
I have two flip shacks with tow hitches that i’d like to connect and tow behind one atv/snowmobile.  What hardware are folks using to make that connection?

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Connecting two clam flip shacks for tow
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2022, 10:11 AM »
I pull up to 5 sleds behind my Snowdog and on the back of every one of my sleds is one of these: https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=12494

I put both nuts all the way in on the threads and place a washer (https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=2968) against the nut.  Insert the U-bolt into two holes I drill, place the plate that comes with the bolt on the bolt from behind, and put a Hex nylon insert lock nut (https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=2625) on the U-bolt and snug it down.  You can also use stainless steel for a little more money, but still less than $10.  I use one of these (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-5-16-in-x-3-1-4-in-Zinc-Plated-Spring-Link-42944/205882903) to hook the tow bar to the U-bolt.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2022, 01:11 AM »
Find a retailer that has one of these.

https://shop.clamoutdoors.com/sled-hitch-receiver.html

Otter makes one like it too that works with all brand of houses.

https://www.otteroutdoors.com/product/universal-rear-sled-hitch-receiver-w-pin/
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2022, 06:45 AM »
Hmmmm!  Amazon = $50; Otter = $26 (plus shipping & tax); Clam = $25 (plus shipping & tax); Ace Hardware ≈ $3 (includes tax).  Decisions; decisions; decisions!   ;D ;D ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2022, 09:48 AM »
I'm gonna try a homemade version.  U bolt, washers, and a 4x6 inch piece of metal... about $5 invested.  Stay tuned, and thank you.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:04 AM »
+1 for the Otter Universal rear sled hitch receiver w/pin.

I have one of these mounted to the back of my 'Trap Thermal X2. It's very handy for towing my medium Otter Pro behind the 'Trap. When not towing the second sled I always have a very heavy duty carabiner hooked in that receiver. Anytime I see someone hand pulling their gear back to their truck through the deep snow I always ask if I can pull their gear for them. That carabiner makes it really easy for them to hook their tow rope to.

Offline whiteymalone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2022, 10:17 AM »
One more note on a factory vs. homemade rear receiver is RUST. It sure would be a shame to have a big poop stain looking rust spot on the your flip-over. At the end of the day, $26 is well worth it. If you look at all the parts it will cost more than just a few bucks at hardware store prices. Just the hitch pin and hitch pin clip costs $4 at ACE.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2022, 12:06 PM »
Still under $10 for everything.  And all zinc coated (galvanized) which means it will more than likely NOT rust during the life time of the sled itself.  If you're really anal about the possibillity of rust, go stainless for a couple bucks more and STILL be under half what those overpriced specialty brackets sell for.  Going on 5 years with my galvanized hardware and no rust yet, and no breakage or replacement of any parts yet.  I'm happy with being frugle.  I'm also done with this thread.  Tight lines to all y'all.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2022, 12:38 PM »
I tow a flip over and my sled and my buddy pulled his the same way an eye bolt where you can attach the next sled rope or tow bar with washers on each side if the sled with nuts to tighten to the sled. Works great.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:19 PM »
Depending on what style of hitch you have this setup with a pinolt style hitch works awesome.

Just remember without proper reinforcement you will break the plastic.  I used 2 plates 12”x8”x1/8” sandwiching the plastic and bolted to my perimeter reinforcement angle.  The bolts a zinc coated and the plates I sprayed with flat black rust oleum to protect from rust.  I’ve seen those little clam plate hitches rip right through an otter sled in cold weather.  Instead of the pinolt hitch style you could just use a piece of angle iron with a hole punched in it for a flapper style hitch.  You will need some sort of swivel so the connection isn’t rigid and allows for movement going over bumps. 

This is the hitch on all my freight sleds so at any time I can pull them out of tandem and put them on my snow machine directly.  I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with those flapper style hitches so if you can switch over to a pinolt style hitch your sleds and hitches will last a lot longer.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.