Author Topic: Eastman Ice Cube Shelter  (Read 28905 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: Eastman Ice Cube Shelter
« Reply #30 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:30 AM »
I have been leaving my power auger home unless I'm punching holes for a tourney or thick late ice. K.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #31 on: Jul 30, 2008, 10:59 AM »
I do the same from the end of Nov till the first half of Dec, wish I could do it longer.  But I usually stop hand bombing holes at around 12", as I like to make lots of holes.  Its all power for me from the end of Dec till the end of April.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #32 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:15 AM »
Ice cube...love it.  I have an otter and a homemade deal. All of these products have different applications for numerous days.  Windy - homemade heavy job.  Calm day with glare ice..ice cube.  Windy day with snow covered - Otter sled.  The ice cube is a pain when you are alone or extremely high winds.  On super cold days...easiest way to anchor is to take a couple cups of water and dump them on the leeward corners and freeze them to the ice.  Has to be about 10 degrees or cooler and sun direction will make a difference on it's effectiveness.  I have never had a problem with the anchors going into ice to be honest and actually remarked to my brother how easy they went in.  They ARE trip hazards...I fell on them a couple times.  Those side ropes...maybe one into the wind...2 max.  Using all 8 of them??  Wow...where you fishing?  I have fished in a few conditions that would warrant all 8 of them...which is why I didn't take it.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 10" Hole = Less tales of the big one that got away
« Reply #33 on: Jul 30, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Mine has 4 side straps not 8.  I use them all on the really really windy days, I don't have much of a problem setting it up by myself on those days either with the technique I described.  I use all 4 on those days as I have learned the wind can sometimes do a 180 really fast.  I almost had my shack blow off me once when it done a complete 180 in a couple minutes, I only had 2 anchors on the wind side at the time.  But yes 90% of the time I just use 1 or 2 max. The ice cube is the best for me considering I use a snowmobile most times and I just lay it across the seat and sit on it, leaving me more room in my small sleigh for other gear.   But if you have other shacks available to use I do see how they'd be better in different situations.  I am thinking of getting an otter flip up 1 man for added versatility.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jul 30, 2008, 12:31 PM »
Thinking of getting the cube shelter all this advice has been helpful.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jul 30, 2008, 05:25 PM »
Yes, thanks for all the input.  In my earlier post, I was "teasing" Hazy a bit....but he wouldn't take the bait. 
I know he has a nice setup, but he has the machines to pull it out onto the ice (and back...most times, that is
if it isn't too foggy, and he can read his GPS.... :whistle:  )

I have been trying to downsize a bit and think the Shappell 6000 is a good compromise in terms of weight, and the
shelter it provides, and the fact that it can be put up/taken down solo in a heavy wind.  I think I entertained a few
folks last year trying to take down my DX3000 in a major blow out on the ice....

As for leaving the gas auger at home; sorry.  No can do.  I get awfully tired drilling through the 2-3' of ice I fish on!
Maybe if I get out a bit earlier this year, I might venture out with only the Mora, but will probably still be hauling my
White Lightning!

Keep the insights/feedback coming on the Ice Cubes!

Cheers,
MD

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jul 30, 2008, 08:49 PM »
one of my ponds I fish is no snowmobile or quad trail. It is a four mile hoof in to the ice and not flat at all. The cube keeps it all on the light side. I can break down the Lazer and cram it in the carry sack and put the whole thing on my back.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:08 AM »
wouldnt catch my lazy broken body on a like or pond like that!   4 mi back  not a chance  Im lucky to walk into the beer store!  Need a drive up beer store like in Texas!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #38 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:39 AM »
Hard to get any one to go with me...twice. ;)
 I have only ever seen one other person back there ice fishing in the last five years.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #39 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:09 AM »
Mine has 4 side straps not 8.  I use them all on the really really windy days, I don't have much of a problem setting it up by myself on those days either with the technique I described.  I use all 4 on those days as I have learned the wind can sometimes do a 180 really fast.  I almost had my shack blow off me once when it done a complete 180 in a couple minutes, I only had 2 anchors on the wind side at the time.  But yes 90% of the time I just use 1 or 2 max. The ice cube is the best for me considering I use a snowmobile most times and I just lay it across the seat and sit on it, leaving me more room in my small sleigh for other gear.   But if you have other shacks available to use I do see how they'd be better in different situations.  I am thinking of getting an otter flip up 1 man for added versatility.

As for the Otter 1-man...I have a supposed 1-man.  One day last year I used it more of a gear hauler and a seat than a shelter.  Weather turned nasty and my brother sat outside the door.  I have one of those black plastic molded ice fishing seat / rod locker chairs.  My brother and I (both over 6' and 230) fished in that supposed one man just fine..even used 4 holes.  Now, it was less room than I would have liked, but we did just fine.  I consider a one man like the Scout or similar.  You can fish 2 out of the Otter 1-man...it's cozy but not really as big a cluster as I thought.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jul 31, 2008, 09:43 AM »
at moosehead Ill bring that POS icecube so somebody can show me how to set it up   and it will be available for anyone that wants to use it there!   but for those 4 days Ill be in the village!!! lots of room warm listening to nascar on sirus or watching tv or dvds! cooking on the stove with room for the cooler inside drilling my holes with my icegator with no worrys about fumes!  Providing a place for the others to warm up!          not listening to others that say the gps is wrong.....  besides I bought a gps mount for the sled and lawrences is already marked in the gps!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jul 31, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Providing a place for the others to warm up!          not listening to others that say the gps is wrong.....  besides I bought a gps mount for the sled and lawrences is already marked in the gps!

Excellent Hazy!  PM me those coordinates so I can program my GPS too!  That day, Pegasus and I had a fun time coming back in as well.  Luckily Pegasus is pretty good at navigating in the fog...even on solid water!  There is a fine line between comfort and having a really good day on the ice, and for me it's about the width of 6lb test with me on one end and a big fish on the other!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #42 on: Sep 02, 2008, 10:45 PM »
I love my ice cube. I have a med. size jet sled.
I am using a blue tarp for the floor. Does any one have any other
floor ideas?
I looked at a shappel dx4000 but the price and carry
was better eith the ice cube. I have no problem putting
in the anchors. I use a mr heater buddie it works geat

With regards to not having a floor...the only time I've found issue with this is if its fairly early in the season and the ice is growing and "sagging" so you get the big flood of water up the hole and you stand in about 1" of water.  other than that I usually clear a spot with a lightweight portable/collapsible snow shovel I got from Walmart for 10 bucks. 

I love my Cube.  I got it before first Ice last year and used it quite a bit and I gotta say...easy up, easy down, holds up in the wind, light enough that I packed it on a 6 mile snowshoeing round trip to fish a remote lake, and I don't snowshoe!  :o

I would Highly recommend it!

Good Fishing :tipup: 

Offline poot_818

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Sep 03, 2008, 12:33 AM »
i bought my ice aufer for a reason....im sure as censored not going to not bring it along....thats just dumb.....where do u guys get ur ideas od not bringing equipment?i bring everything whether its needed or not.....especilly the auger.....the auger is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #44 on: Sep 03, 2008, 08:13 AM »
i bought my ice aufer for a reason....im sure as censored not going to not bring it along....thats just dumb.....where do u guys get ur ideas od not bringing equipment?i bring everything whether its needed or not.....especilly the auger.....the auger is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poot, I believe what he was saying was that he doesn't bring the GAS POWERED Ice Auger....and remeber some guys still use a spud chisel if they don't get thick ice....

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 03, 2008, 12:48 PM »
your right Neptune, I can't bring ALL my STUFF.  If I'm walking in remote, I don't want to carry more than I have to.

Offline Orion7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:41 PM »
I have had mine for two years.  The only draw back are the ice stakes but if you take your auger and drill down 2 inches then they start easy.

Stays warm, zippers are of decent quality and price is more than fair...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:21 PM »
Still have not used my Gas auger yet this year poot but have been out 2 or 3X a week since the first week of December.
I have set up my cube though. :)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #48 on: Jan 14, 2010, 05:23 PM »
The only draw back are the ice stakes but if you take your auger and drill down 2 inches then they start easy.

I just rap on the tops with my hole scoop and they start digging in.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Question about the "Cube"  I have one and shattered a pole for it this weekend.  Any clue as to where to look, call, or email to get a replacement?  Thanks all.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #50 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:43 AM »
http://dev.gorillablinds.com/cms/content/ice-cube

These are the people that make the ice cube now.  There is a product support and dealer locator link

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:44 AM »
They changed thier name to Gorrilla Blinds... same people make it though.

Offline fd757

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Thanks man!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:09 AM »
let us know how you make out ;)

Offline mherblet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Want to thank bmann for his simple suggestion for fixing a shattered pole. $4.95 driveway marker at hardware store cut to length was a easy repair. 15 minutes and I am back in business in Michigan. Thanks bmann.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2013, 02:07 PM »
              good idea    bigfish   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.