Author Topic: frabill ranger solo or ultralite  (Read 10514 times)

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
frabill ranger solo or ultralite
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:11 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has the Frabill Ranger Solo or the Frabill Ultralite. I bought the solo but wonder if I should take it back for the much lighter ultralite version. It is still in the box and I have not seen it set up...just pictures on the web. I want something that is light for easy towing and lifting into my Explorer Sport, but it also needs to be big enough to carry my power auger etc. Anyone have these? Thanks.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
Re:frabill ranger solo or ultralite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:56 AM »
  I've got a ultralite and its great. But I sat in a solo at Gander moutain on fri.And I'd trade you sleds. Don't get me wrong , because I like the ultra-lite just fine. But I like that swivel seat also in the solo. But if you want to trade I'll make the sacrafice!!!LOL And enjoy.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 11:27 AM »
mrlongbeard1-
You should have said that the Solo s***ed, because now I am going to keep it!  :) Seriously, thanks for the info...that is just the kind of feedback I was hopeing for.

Rob V

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2003, 02:12 PM »
Mr Longbeard, I just bought the ultra lite as well for under my Christmas tree but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It sounds like you like it.  Have you had any problems at all with it ?

Since buying it I've been thinking about whether I should've gotten the model with the seat also.  Do you use a 5 gallon pail to sit on ?  Also, do you have to anchor it often ? If so, how do you anchor it?

Recently I've noticed ads about adding the modular seat. Have you thought about that ?

Thanks - Merry Christmas.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 02:40 PM »
I bought the Solo last year love it.  My only regret is that this year's model has the modular seat. Mine has a swivel seal, but with a metal bracket that adds weight. I saw a guy with an ultralite last year pulling it easily in deep snow, something you can't do with the larger models. I haven't had to try that yet, I used it with my snowmobile. He sat on a folding lawn chair straddling the front edge and looked quite comfortable. it all depends on your needs and the amount of gear you have. A large power auger might be a bit tough to haul.

Gillles

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 03:12 PM »
I've been using the ultralite for about a year, its perfect for me just because its so light and mobile.  I have a light weight chair that sets inside and I can also fit a heater.

Rob V

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 03:18 PM »
Do you guys have to anchor your ultralights often ?

Gillles

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2003, 04:02 PM »
Just if I'm on snowless ice and the wind is really howling.  I rigged up a 7" nail that is connected to the sled with a rope that works.

Offline fooman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:03 PM »
I just bought the Ultra lite and plan on using a 6 gallon bucket with a frabill strato seat(foam kidney shaped) so I can drop my fish in the bucket without getting up. As for an anchor I cut a piece of 1 1/2" pvc 16" long and capped both ends. I then put an eye bolt in the center and ran 3' of rope from the eye bolt to the pulling rope. On one end of the cap I drilled a hole and added string so I can pull the anchor out of the water without getting my hands wet.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2003, 05:15 PM »
Mr Longbeard, I just bought the ultra lite as well for under my Christmas tree but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It sounds like you like it.  Have you had any problems at all with it ?

Since buying it I've been thinking about whether I should've gotten the model with the seat also.  Do you use a 5 gallon pail to sit on ?  Also, do you have to anchor it often ? If so, how do you anchor it?

Recently I've noticed ads about adding the modular seat. Have you thought about that ?  I haven't seen the seat add yet and I use a 5 or 6 gallon pail that I made a padded seat for. It also has a hole to put fish in withouit getting up. But I'm going to look for a seat a soon as I get done here. And I haven't had trouble with this sled at all.

Thanks - Merry Christmas.
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Mike P. Sheahan

« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2003, 08:05 PM »
I bought the Solo this fall, and have had it out twice, and I love it!

I like the fact that the seat is in and set up for putting on my creepers before I start out.  With my old shack, it was always a chore to get them on without a place to sit.

Also, before I bought it I tried another seat in it at the store, just to see if it would fit, and it does!  It is tight, but I figured it would be nice for the two or three times a year that I get someone who wants to go out with me that doesn't have there own shack.

So I picked up an extra seat, and the accesory table (which is really just the seat base without the chair), and the table is nice to keep my tackle box on, and other assorted stuff.

Also the swivel chair works great when I am trying to get stuff out of the rubbermaid storage box I keep all the small loose stuff in right behind the seat.  I keep my rods in tubes under the seat, so they don't get damaged by the other stuff in the sled, and the vexilar sits nicely there too.  As for the auger, I rest that on top of the storage box, and thats only when I am walking, other wise I have a rack on the ATV for that.

I forgot to mention that there hasn't been any snow the times I've had it out, but it pulled like it wasn't even there on the Ice.  I am thinking of adding a metal runner on the sled for protection, like the ones kenelz made in this http://www.iceshanty.com/forum/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5187;start=msg44928#msg44928 thread, but only because I live on a big lake, and it will be dragged behind my ATV for miles and miles this winter.

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:42 AM »
I have been fishing out of the ultralite for 4 years.  I like it because it pulls well through snow, even loaded above reason.  I am over 6' tall and 260 pounds so I have had to work on keeping everything in its place.  For the seat I bought one of the field seats with a swivel seat on top of a plastic box that has a foam insert inside.  The recess in the floor of my ultralite is 11" in diameter so I cut a disk of packing foam and mounted it to the bottom of the box.  I had to off set the box abot 1.5" to make room for the shaft on my power auger.  With the engin in the back right corner the auger shaft fits tight  between the box and the sled wall.  I have a small section of gutter mounted just below were the auger shaft sets.  This is to hold "stuff" that I don't want to put away until I am finished.  Mounted on the left wall of the sled I have two 32" lengths of 3" gutter mounted one abouve the other.  I have two slots cut into the bottom of each and these act as rod holders for 4 rigged rods.  My tackle bag, towels, extra gloves, lights (when not in use), bait containers, radio, cell phone, folding dead stick rod holder, etc. fit into the foam lined set base.  My heater fits into a floor recess behind the seat.  A rod box ( arrow case) fits under the home made rod holders on the left side.  My vexilar and camera fit at the rear between the auger motor and the rod holders.  My skimmer and a sectional spud bar slide int a section of PVC pipe mounted on top of the back sled wall.  I have two screw in steps for tree stands in holders mounted on the back of the seat box, these I use for anchors and they work very well, most of the time I only have to screw one step into the ice for the teather line.  After I take out the power auger I can still pick it all up and slide it into the back of my truck.

Pop

Rob V

« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2003, 09:49 AM »
Pop - great info. Sounds like you've really go your sled rigged up nice.  It'd be great if you had a picture of your set up to post.

Thanks for the great ideas.  ;)
Rob V

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:36 AM »
Rob, I will see what I can do.  I am traveling and following the site between planes.  When I get home I will get a picture and see if I can show you how it is set up.  This is a great little unit.  I have drug that shanty more miles than I want to think about.  I am finishing up mounting LED in the support poles now.  I ran the wiring through the frame to a master switch box to control the front and back lights from the same box.

Pop

Rob V

« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Pop - that would be great.  I'm always interested in good ideas from those who have them !!
Looking forward to seeing your rig !

Have a good Christmas

hudsonrvrstriper

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2003, 05:13 PM »
Pop What is the "LED" a spot light? 12 volt? where did you get it? thanks

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:30 AM »
Hi Doover, the LEDs mounted in the second support are red beams with spot reflectors that focus on the ice were I drill my holes.  They are small units that I get from work, I think they are ordered from DigiKey.  I have these and 4 white LEDs, mounted on the back support and overhead, wired through the support frame to a small 12 V battery controlled by a switch panel to control each set independantly.  Between the two red LEDs I have mounted a 4" black light that realy makes color altered mono glow at night.  I wish I could get mono to look like that during the day, it would make tight lining much easier.  When I get home I will get some pictures and take a shot at posting them here, I think it will be better than me trying to explain the setup.  I have had a few years to work on how I want the setup.  If I can keep things organized then I can fish and not worry about where everthing is.

Pop

hudsonrvrstriper

« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2003, 07:14 PM »
 :-* Wow Pop Sounds nice. Digikey is that thick electronics catalog? I think I have one laying around. Good luck and Merry Christmas

Rob V

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2003, 04:53 PM »
Hey Pop, still looking forward to you pictures. I just put my unit together today.  Do you weight your tent  down ie the front edge of the skirt where it meets the ice has a hemmed sleve ? - the owner's manual suggests inserting chains ?  What do you use ?

Thanks. ;)
Rob V

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:06 AM »
Rob - I have an Ultra Lite too and think it's great. As far as weighing down the front goes, someone posted, in another thread, to put re-rod in the front. I think I'm going to try that with mine. It should make a big difference.  

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2003, 07:55 AM »
Rob V, I made it home and came down with a screaming cold.  The part of the world I just came from is full of bugs we don't seem to have here in the US.  They put me in bed for a week and then have to go back to the Dr.  I will get the pictures as soon as I can sneak into the shed and not let my wife catch me.  I started out with chain and the clank-clank made me crazy evertime I flipped it up or down.  I took the chain out and got a roll of 3/4" finger gauze at the drug store, it is a hollow round tube used to dress finger wounds, it is sold in rolls about 6' long.  I put aquarium gravel in it and tied knots where I needed them and slid the filled tubes inside the flaps.  It is a bit heavier than the small chain and holds the flaps down better and there is no clank.  What I really need is some ice, we had good ice starting and then the rains came.  I guess if I am laid up it is better we don't have any ice.

Pop

Rob V

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Pop, Thanks for the great idea.

Take care of yourself and take your time with pictures - no rush here.  In southwestern Ontario (Can.) we haven't hardly seen any ice yet, much less had any decent ice to get onto.  Take care of yourself.
thanks again.

Rob V

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2003, 03:44 PM »
Thanks, it is just a matter of time until I am better or we have ice.  I have been setting here thinking of how to use resistance heating coils and a battery to get a little bit of heat in the ultralite on those not to cold days.  I will have to sharpen a pencil to see if the extra weight is worth the heat I can get.  I woke up thinking about this and it has me going now.  My wife wants to know if I have got an idea of where to put the stove and sink.  I think she is teasing but not that sure.

Pop

Rob V

« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2003, 04:19 PM »
How do you heat on the "cold days " ?   I've got a small propane heater I intend to use, but I notice there's no ventillation in the tent - I assume that on most days there'll be plenty of natural ventillation around the base of the unit. BTW - did you treat yours with any type of water-proofing?
Tell her not to worry about you taking the kitchen sink - it's more weight than it's worth !

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2003, 04:48 PM »
I keep going back to the sun flower Mr. Heater unit.  It does a good job on the cold days.  I didn't spray the entire cover, just the seems.  Over the years there are some thin spots where the supports hold the cover.  I went to Wal-mart and bought some yellow (to match the trim) cloth tape and ran it everywhere the frame supports the roof.  I think it would be a good idea to spray the entire thing and wipe off what didn't soak in.  My wife is looking at me now, I am setting with a multi meter and ckecking the draw of a 12 VDC de-icer.  I think I can run it, on a thermostat, for about 6 hours on one battery.

Pop

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2004, 11:52 PM »
I used my Solo today for the first time since I got a new tent for it. The original one got torn by the pole bracket and Frabill replaced it. When I was packing it up at the end of the day, the rear window was so cold and brittle it cracked and broke through in two places. Talk about teed off! I sent an email to them right away. I have a Shappell I can use it the meantime.

timmo

« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:06 AM »
ultra light ha ha  mine pulls like a truck with flat tires the bottom has some to many molded places for stuff and that the molded areas of the floor put you to the test when pulling im mounting mine on skis so to get it to drag. look under neath itt you will seee the square spots for what i dont know but the square molded places are like having brakes on all the time they said it weighs 27 pounds mabe the electrical conduit does but ill bet its alot closer to fourty pounds with no gear add an ice drill a tackle box a fish finder couple of poles heater or lantern your lunch box and thermos and youll be pushing close to sixty pounds add the molded floor and now you need a tank to pull it as for a seat well i find that a folding lawn chair is the way to go set front legs of chair on the ice infront of ya and still have room for stuff in the back sitting on a pail sucks big time if ya have a bad back i need the support of a chair for my back as for anchoring i use my drill and tie my rope to itt but honestly would rather have purchased another polar pal tent but couldnt find one they are or were made by a friends brother near sayracuse NY no info coud i find my old polar tent makes a fine turkey hunting ground blind when covered with cammo screen type material .. timmo

Rob V

« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:12 AM »
I've used mine several times this winter as well, and I agree it pulls harder then I expected it to on the snow. We've got 5-6 inches of snow on the ice here and it gives you a serious work out.  I was thinking about putting a set of skis under it as well.  Otherwise, I'm happy with the way it works.  Takes a bit of planning to organize yourself it in, but once you getit figured out it works pretty good.  Let me know how you make out with skis under yours.

Hey Pops, did you ever get a chance to scan a couple of pictures of yours ?

Offline Pop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2004, 09:02 AM »
Rob, I got the pictures and will get them posted shortly I hope.  I am on my way to Orlando for 4 days to work at a tech show there.  Just for giggles, I have put an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a clock in the UL.  I wanted the clock but found a little unit with the thermometer built in.  It is nice to see the difference in the heaters.

My unit does not have the cross recessed holders for the seat and I think that makes a difference in pulling in the snow.  I drilled 5 holes on the bottom and 2 in the front, I plug these with rubber push plugs when there is little or no snow.  When the snow comes, I pull the plugs and set the unit on 3' x 4.5'  section of lexan.  I have heated the lexan to bow the front up to match the sled shape.  I push the plugs back in and the UL is setting on a flat bottom of lexan that pulls very easy over the snow.  This stuff is tuff and not damaged by almost anything.

Pop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.