Author Topic: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?  (Read 15619 times)

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
Hello,

I am considering buying a new portable ice shack, but it is difficult to know what would be the right choice for me.  There are so many brands and they all claim to be the best.  I am partial to the Clam 5600.  It looks like it is well-built and will hold up over a period of time.  Whereas, some of these "tent" like shacks look pretty flimsy.  I will normally be fishing with one other person, so it doesn't have to be huge; a 2-3 man should do nicely.

For those of you who have a Clam 5600, when the door is closed, is it dark enough inside to see bottom?  Is it warm?  Would you recommend it?

Anyone else care to comment on the features of their portable shacks?

Thanks in advance for the comments,

shawno   8)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Otter Pro Series...Plus, they are on sale at Reeds right now. 
Chris Raymond

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Any tent by Clam Corp.  Built to last unlike the other brands.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
At the end of the season my HT is going back if that tells you anything...

I'm going to replace it with either a Frabill Magnum or Prowler.

Offline Medic118

• IceShanty Rookie
 I have the clam 5600. It is well built and will last you many years. The only thing is it is a bit on the heavy side. You will be able to see in the water with the door shut and is very warm.  I got mine at dicks sporting goods at the end of the season for 260.00( clearence and floor model discount)Hope this helps.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have owned several portable shelters over the years. They have all had their benifits and downsides. It depends on whether you will be draging it by hand and how far, or if you will use an atv or snowmobile to tow it out. Some are better with the wind than others. Some are better on really cold days. If you like an enclosed, hard bottom type, they are much more roomy and warmer, but they are not too good in the wind, they are hard to drag by hand when there is snow on the ice, and your gear keeps falling off while you are dragging it.
   The Flip over type have a nice sled which is easy to drag, has plenty of room for all your gear, and is much easier to move from spot to spot when you are trying to find the fish, however, there is no floor, so your feet could get cold and if you like a lot of room you may feel cramped.
The clam 5600 is an excellent choice for it's type, and I like the fishtrap guide for the flip over type.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fish trap Guide hands down the best two man flip type. If you need a little more size and you will be pulling it with a sled or whatever then I would go with a Yukon. Clam also makes these shanties in a extreme model. They are made with thicker tarps and larger diameter poles. I do not know why as the Guide and Yukon are plenty strong. I guess if you are in an area with constant wind and weight or money is not an issue then the extreme may make sense. Anyway Clam makes a very good product and if someone made a better mousetrap (or fish trap) I would certainly buy that.

Good Luck

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
No doubt the Fish Trap Guide !

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
     I have a clam 5600 and it is great nice and roomy and on ice with little snow or packed snow its fine if you move around.  However if there is a lot of snow on the ice it is a pain to move around unless you tear it down and set it back up, its quite the plow.  I also have a homemade hut that is pretty heavy so its good on windy days since it doesnt blow around very easily due to the wieght.  I was going to buy a clam scout this year for when I go alone and plan on moving around a lot, but since its taking so long to freeze here in western NY I will wait till next year.  I cant justify spending a couple hundred dollars to use it just a couple times this year.  I do really like the 5600 though it is worth the money and easy to set up.  I made a ski sled to pull it around on though besause even when its all folded up it drags a lot of snow.

Offline team95monte

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Nothing more beautiful than a tip up at sunset.
The Clam 5600 is a great shack as long as you are fishing with only one other person.  If you ever plan on fishing with more than that I would upgrad and get the 6800.  It is quite a bit more money but it is worth it for the extra space.
SCREW CATCH AND RELEASE, HOOK EM AND COOK EM!!!!

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
Re: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:47 AM »
I would definitely go with the flip-over style shanty.As mentioned in some other posts they are much...much...easier to drag.So if you decide to fish on your own it's still no problem.Also it's nice to place all your gear into the sled which prevents it from falling out.Very mobile and super easy to set up too.Helps out when your hands are freezing cold and you can't feel your fingers.Fish Trap,Frabill,and Otter are your most common brands.I'm partial to the Fish Trap because it has many nice features included in the price.Otter makes a nice shanty,however,you must purchase the seats separately.Something to keep in mind when making your choice. ;)
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline Want2bfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:54 AM »
clam all the way. 5600 has been awesome, upgraded from clam Jr. wouldn't buy any other brand.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:01 AM »
Anyone own the Cabela portable selling for around $120 that you supply the plywood for the floor? Is it worth buying? Saw five reviews on their site and those buyers seemed happy, but I place more faith in what it said on IceShanty.

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:04 AM »
the trap scout is great for one person,light weight and built to last! have no problems with mine.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:14 AM »
Well it looks like you got your answer, take it from a guy who has owened a Shappell, a frabil and a clam....Clam quality is haard to beat...they are pricey, but well worth the bucks.

Get in one, before you buy, look around and imagine the gear you carry and make sure they will fit, make sure you can transport your hut easily, then Purchase a clam

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:13 AM »
the trap scout is great for one person,light weight and built to last! have no problems with mine.

All my buds have a scout and the one buddy also has a guide... When we bring a guest, we take the guide also.  I myself would'nt spend my money any other way. 

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:13 AM »
i have a clam 6800. cant beat the fabric. but its heavy but roomy and the easiest to set up. why fish all cramped up. its worth the extra effort to pull it out trust me.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:21 AM »
as I mentioned previously I have a Guide. I had a Fish Trap II before that. I was just wondering why you guys who swear by the Clam style prefer them over a flip type?

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:25 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the great advice!!

Like icejunky said, I think I got my answer...

I will have to check out the fishtrap again and see what it looks like again in person.  Do you guys think that it is dark enough inside a fishtrap to sightfish?  It is fun to see what is going on down there when fishing in shallow water!!

Do you find that it gets cold in a fishtrap without a hard bottom?

Thanks again,

shawno  8)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:07 PM »
Plenty dark enough to site fish with no problem.I have had no issues with cold feet and actually like no bottom because there is no messy floor when you pack it up(all blood ,used bait, spilled coffee/beverage,fish formula's... stay on the ice)Also can leave the fish on ice if you prefer.

I have the Fish Trap Guide,Fish Trap Pro,and the Clam 6800.All are quality ice shelters!But I would take the flip-over style shanty anyday over my Clam. I use my Clam for Erie trips in the airboat.Used as a basecamp to cook and hang out.It would take 2-3 guys to drag it out on the lake(unless using a snowmobile)because it is heavy and plows through the snow. And once you set it up you don't want to keep taking it down.One flip up and I'm on my way with the Guide or Pro and it glides across the snow.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:00 PM »
Thanks again everyone for the great advice!!

Like icejunky said, I think I got my answer...

I will have to check out the fishtrap again and see what it looks like again in person.  Do you guys think that it is dark enough inside a fishtrap to sightfish?  It is fun to see what is going on down there when fishing in shallow water!!

Do you find that it gets cold in a fishtrap without a hard bottom?

Thanks again,
shawno  8)

Plenty dark enough. I havent had any issues with cold feet ,but I have had issues with the ice melting in front of the heater and causeing a puddle. I cured that by placeing a small 14 x18 inch piece of 1/4 inch plywood in front of the heater.I have the Yukon and scout by the way.

Offline oldken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:45 PM »
i got my clam many years ago. i don't even think it had a number, like the 5600. so it's old but i have never had a problem more than a few of the plastic ends on the poles. no holes in it no tears and only one cracked window, my fault. i once ordered one of cabalas  you put the floor in. sent it back the same day. i say go clam

Offline elmerross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Honoeye bullgill; size of a 5 gal pail.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:38 PM »
I own a fish trap guide,a fish trap scout,and the original fish trap.I haven't had any problems with any of those huts.I bought the guide so my daughter can go with me,or one of my buddys want to fish in the guide instead of our single huts.Any of the fish trap products are the most rugged and durable made.Go to gander mnt and check them out,you will see.........

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:59 PM »
I have the Yukon and only have to run the heater on low. When I was fishing out of another we went thru alot more propane that with this. It is also plenty dark enough to sight fish. I am sold on it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline BassHouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:21 PM »
Well, I guess I'll be the first to mention the Shappell 3000DX.  I absolutely love it and have used for the past four years.  I usually fish by myself or with one or two other guys. This was the criteria I used when I bought mine:
1. Had to fit in the backseat of my car (4 door sedan).
2. Needed to be able transport and set up by myself. (3000DX goes up & down fast and easy)
3. Had to allow me to bring all my equipment as well.  (Hand Auger, traps, bait, all fit easily on top)
4. Needed to have great visibility.  (3000DX has two full length windows on each side)
5. Needed to keep me warm and utilize the sun.  (Black canvas and carpeted floor really help).
6. Durability.  (Used it four years and still as good as new)
7. Price.  (Paid somewhere around 270$, can't remember exactly)
Only issue is deep snow makes it difficult to pull.  Just get a cheap sled to throw under it for deep snow. 
You also need to have a good anchor system but I think it is worth it to have a little more breathing room.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:34 AM »
I love my 5600. I am not a fan of flip over types, I like a floor under my feet.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Another thing to consider is how much your going to use it. If your only going to get out 10 times a year,any of them are probably just fine. If your going to USE it then I would definetly say CLAM all the way. My yukon has close to 250 trips on it and other than some self inflicted damage( it opened up at 65mph in the back of the truck.),its holding up AWSOME.

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Well it looks like you got your answer, take it from a guy who has owned a Shappell, a frabil and a clam....Clam quality is hard to beat...they are pricey, but well worth the bucks.

Get in one, before you buy, look around and imagine the gear you carry and make sure they will fit, make sure you can transport your hut easily, then Purchase a clam

Weight is the real problem for me in Colorado. You cannot use any motorized vehicle on the ice; so it comes down to lugging it by hand and snow cover at times makes it very difficult to even pull a sled with fishing gear very far. The temp is usually not too much of a factor. It's mainly shelter to get out of the wind. Be nice to do some jigging without the hole and line freezing.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:35 PM »
For those of you with the clam, what do you do with all your gear?  Do you haul all your gear on another sled?

Also how is it for one angler fishing two poles?  Seems a bit ackward with the hole openings located at seperate corners for one person to keep on eye on both of them.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2007, 12:47 PM »
For those of you with the clam, what do you do with all your gear?  Do you haul all your gear on another sled?

Also how is it for one angler fishing two poles?  Seems a bit ackward with the hole openings located at seperate corners for one person to keep on eye on both of them.

Clam makes the flip overs;yukon,guide,pro,scout, as well as the "suite case" shacks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.