Author Topic: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?  (Read 15615 times)

Offline last5oh_302

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What do you think is the best portable iceshanty for your buck?
« Reply #60 on: Feb 07, 2007, 03:00 PM »
for the money I vote for the Eskimo Quickfish 3 - fast setup and truly portable. $159 at Sportsmans Warehouse. It says it is for 3, but 4 can easily fish in it.

As you can see here, these Cubes have really taken off. This shot is on Cooks Bay which is on Lake Simcoe Ontario:

I'm still waiting for my Eskimo Quick Fish 3 to arrive  ::)

The QF3 is the same as the the Cube. Inside dimensions are 70" wide by 70" long (Cube is 71 x 71) by 80" high. From hub to hub it's 90" by 90" due to the pop out wall design. It weighs 23 lb's and comes in it's own carrying bag which has padded shoulder straps if ya wanna carry it as a backpack. It easily fits in any vehicle.
It doesn't have a floor, but you can punch your holes where ever you want. That's a fair amount of space in a compact package.

It handles and sets up easily in high winds very nicely. It comes with ice anchors.

I was at Binbrook today and watched a guy set up his Cube in pretty high winds. I didn't last long without a shelter, put it that way.

Good luck with whatever you get.

Rick

Offline acutabovelawncare

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 08, 2007, 08:01 PM »
I just put my new clam 5600 together it was a peace of cake plenty of room lots of doors and window definitely heavy duty i got it off ebay for 269.00 but shipping was 90 ill be using it sat!!! i cant wait

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #62 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:22 PM »
I have the same Eskimo 111 I strap it to my back pull my sled with a box screwed on top and auger tied on . Needless to say after 200 yards I have to stop and rest but it gets the job done.JMO :)

Live to fish forced to work

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Mar 13, 2007, 09:32 PM »
the clam pro....it floats on water when I decide to be jesus and walk on water.  Honestly though....it is kinda big for a one man shanty..but I have alot of gear in there with me....so it is just right....I like being able to hall all my stuff in it two when I go out.  It is very comfortable....I feel like I am siting in a lazy boy...and with one lantern it is 70 degrees farenheit no problem.  It is light......and it compacts down so small I have fit it in a dodge neon before.  That's my two sense ;D
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #64 on: Mar 14, 2007, 03:28 PM »
Haven't heard too many mention Frabill...are they lower end compared to clam and otter?

I purchased the Frabill Trekker. I love the removeable seats and room it provides but am extremely disappointed in the tent fabric. It claims to be "artic armor" but when compared to another Frabill shanty with "artic armor" (magnum) the material was much heavier and more durable. Two different "artic armor" materials? I would not recommend this Frabill Trekker shanty until a heavier material is used for their tents.

Fish Traps are a GREAT shanty! I have two of them now.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline TMBWarriors

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • walleye
« Reply #65 on: Mar 18, 2007, 03:22 PM »
My first was a homemade popup with a painters cloth and 2 pieces of plywood.This was great for many years and it was cheap to make.I have 3 portables now and the best one i have is the otter.I have 2 frabills,1 solo ranger and the 2 man with the full bench seat.The new frabills are no where as tough as the old ones.My buddy just bought the new frabill with the glidetrac system and it is allready ruined from dragging it on the ice.The bases of the new shacks are very thin and they will collapse,dent,where thru in only 4 trips.He called frabill and they said that it was his fault.I have hauled my old frabills all over and have yet to have any problems.I do like the new icecube style and the big clam 2 man.Johnnypike a buddy got a great deal on a replacement top for his and it is green with the green bay packers logo.

Offline Wissota Bear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Sep 11, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Any of the flip-overs are good.

Offline benson78

• IceShanty Rookie
  • never surrender
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I just bought the fishtrap voyager cause I have a friend that goes and he has the same thing so we can put the trap link in paid about 600 for it but im very happy with it takes about 5-10 min to set up and get banked in can take everything in the sled (possibly even the kitchen sink) can hold 3 guys and a buddy heater keeps it nice and toasty.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #68 on: Dec 28, 2007, 09:09 PM »
Fish trap pro.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #69 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:01 PM »
Ah I looked around and the Shappell DX3000 seemed like the best deal for me. Everyone in the fishing department of the family sporting store says they alll use them. But Im super partial to the floor. I fished last year in a friends frabil artic armor clam and hated it, Cramped not enough room for gear..Only thing with the 3000 is...is that I did buy a jet sled for it and just have all my gear under the shanty and bungied it down to the sled... I paid 190 for my dx 3000.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.