Author Topic: Best chairs for your shelter?  (Read 19769 times)

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Best chairs for your shelter?
« on: Jan 09, 2007, 03:49 PM »
Hey guys I need some advise, what chairs or seats do you prefer in your shanties?  I would think one that is rather small but comfortable and easliy packed for transport.  I have not a clue where to begin finding one of these. 

Could you suggest a brand name or style and I'll go from there...

danke!

HR

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best chairs for your shelter?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2007, 05:59 PM »
 I use one of those coleman folding ones that are in a bag, they're easy to carry and extremely comfortable, only thing is they take up a lot of space in the shack, i think coleman makes another smaller chair made specifically for icefishing and hunting
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline fishingonly2002

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 1st in State
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:01 PM »
I just bought a nice comfy chair at walmart for 7 bucks, it is a little big, but two of them fit in my 4X6 with plenty of room for gear and a few others standing in there to warm up.

(the cup holders are my new best friends)

~Neal
Life is an art designed by those who live it.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:21 PM »
I bought a couple of folding chairs made by HT that are made for ice shelters. They don't use very much space and are only about $10.00 each. A lot of sporting goods stores carry them.

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:25 PM »
i usually haul light wooden bench that sits 18 inches high and four feet long (sits 3 great). a perfect height for me to see out my portable bob house. it can be a bit cumbersome, but i strap it to the top of the shelter when the shelter is folded up and pull it out with the atv.
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2007, 06:32 PM »
5 gallon bucket

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2007, 07:18 AM »
5 gallon bucket

Use the easy button.         DITTO the bucket! :tipup:

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I use the same chair I use for bowhunting from my portable blind. It is small, but very comfortable and it has a back rest on it. I paid $19.99 at Gander Mtn.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:31 PM »
I agree that the triangular HT chairs are comfortable but they sure do have a short lifespan.  I've been out about 6 times and I just broke one.

Perhaps its telling me I need to go on a diet.   :o

Offline hrlevi1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2007, 09:59 PM »
Where did you buy your HT triangle chair?  I am looking for something light and small. 

Thanks ~

HR

Offline littleoldlady

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:04 PM »
I'm definitely a bucket fan...it doubles as storage for all the stuff to and from the ice, takes up little room, and you
can get cushions that just fit them exactly.
Winter is the time of year toward which all that has gone before
seems but a preparation....winter, a quiet acceptance of what is
to come....Sigurd F. Olsen

Offline gair-z

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:26 PM »
I use the same chair I use for bowhunting from my portable blind. It is small, but very comfortable and it has a back rest on it. I paid $19.99 at Gander Mtn.

got the same..  gotta like the backrest..   I do the bucket too...  it isn't ol-fashioned ice fishin if y'aint got a bucket. ;D

gair-z
Pres.    Cuba Lake Crappie Killers (pre Ice Shanty) (defunct)
2007 1st place Cuba Lake Wizard tourney - Perch
2013 1st place DSO Ice Tourney - Bluegill

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Take it from a long time bucket sitter with a bad back, those fold up chairs that go in the bag are nice. They fit in a sled with your gear and they have beer holders. If you get one with holders in both arms, you can keep your waxies or wigglers handy too  ;)2  You can find them at just about any major store, Walmart, Kmart, Gander Mtn. etc... I think our cheap ones were only $6!

Just an example
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline Big E

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2007, 10:47 PM »
Where did you buy your HT triangle chair?  I am looking for something light and small. 

Thanks ~

HR

My HT Triangle chair came with my HT Polar Escape but here's a link to the same chair from Bass Pro...

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=82123&hvarDept=400&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=8&hvarSubCode=9&hvarTarget=browse

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2007, 11:43 PM »
i just use a pail and my HT Lunar Seat and it quite comfortable. unless i have the snowmobile then i just sit on it. i do not like the fold up chairs as they are relcined back to much and makes it harder to watch bobbers and rodtips, but i like to have my hole right in front of my feet. but for tip-up fishing they work ok.

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2007, 07:30 AM »
I got gander mountain brand folding chairs I think for $7 a peice last year, they are nice with cup holder and backrest and they are light.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2007, 10:45 AM »
My portable shelter (Quick flip II) has a padded bench seat which works quite well.  Otherwise if I don't have the shelter I use a bucket with a swivel top on it and one of those frabill yellow storage wrap arounds for tackle, poles & etc..

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:49 PM »
It's hard to beat one of those inexpensive folding chairs that you slip into a sac that has a carrying strap.  Sure, they take up a bit of space but you can put stuff under the chair if you have to.  They are compact, light, comfortable and inexpensive.  For a long day of icefishing, it's nice to have a back rest.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:52 PM »
Got these at an Eddie Bauer outlet, they get folded when I am done and get put with my support bars right inside my Clam 5600. They weigh around 5 LBS each, perfect.

Offline velcro29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish ON!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2007, 10:58 PM »
I have a HT folding chair.  Its nice because the seat is triangle shape, this lets you stay mobile.  Its nice!!!
[]

Offline Thriller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:36 AM »
I have a few options, depending on what I'm doing / how I'm fishing...the Pack Shack is its own chair, I have a folding chair w/o arm rests (makes it easier to get in and out when you have big hips  ::) ), and the bucket.  Sometimes I've even sat on the padded seat for a bucket on the floor of the shack.  If the action is fast and furious I'm not sitting anyway.
Derek

God grant me the Serenity to accept the size of the fish I catch,
the Courage not to fib about it,
and the Wisdom to know that no one would believe me anyway.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 14, 2007, 09:30 PM »
Zamboni,

That's a great idea.  I am going to get a couple of those for my 5600.  Love the idea of just folding them inside the shanty when heading in.  Never would have thought of that.

This is why I love this site.  Always learning something. 

Tight lines.

Offline hawgerdawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:36 AM »
I've got a couple of old, old camp chairs (garage sale purchase) similar to that Eddie Bauer one. The only difference is that they don't have a back. As mentioned, they work great because they can fold right up with my Shappell DX3000 shanty. Perhaps there are more comfortable alternatives, but you can't beat the convenience. If you're not sitting on them, they fold right up and can lean against the shanty wall. Makes it easy to get in and out.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." --Unknown

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Zamboni

How tall is the seat on the chair? look like what i need but I cant stand it when my knees are highet than my but lol
Thanks
Chad

walleyechaser

« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2007, 11:48 AM »
I use the bass pro camping chairs.  complete with cup holder for your beer.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2007, 05:47 PM »
I am still a member of the 5 Gal. Pal Club ;)

I have a Trap Pro...but when I am working a bunch of hot holes before dark...out comes the Pal...run-n-gun :whistle:

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2007, 08:33 PM »
Nice chair Zamboni.  I doubt it even weighs 5 lbs.  I have similar chairs (backless) and the weigh maybe 2 lbs at the most.  I'm thinking about buying a padded seat that fits on a 5 gallon bucket too.  They even leave a space so that you can put fish in the bucket.  I do a lot of fishing for smelt so the 5 gallon bucket is a must.  Might as well use it to it's maximum.  When brook trout season opens at the end of
April, all the lakes in my area are still frozen.  Since the limit is 20 brook trout of any size, the 5 gallon bucket is again a must.  The bucket carries a lot of my stuff and when it's time to pack up and go home, I put my fish in a bag and my stuff back in the bucket.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2007, 09:02 PM »
TBIRDBASSR- 14 and a half inches. The top of the back sits 29 inches high. As far as weight, my guess was 5 lbs, it probably doesn't weigh that much. I do know I couldn't ask for a better chair, they are very nice.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2007, 06:57 AM »
Got these at an Eddie Bauer outlet, they get folded when I am done and get put with my support bars right inside my Clam 5600. They weigh around 5 LBS each, perfect.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Eddie Bauer? Is that "SHIRT" action? :) :tipup:

Offline macker13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I bought a couple of folding chairs made by HT that are made for ice shelters. They don't use very much space and are only about $10.00 each. A lot of sporting goods stores carry them.

:tipup:

A buddy had three of them last year.  Two did not last more than a few days.  I would use the old saying "you get what you pay for"  If you are going to buy those, buy a couple extras as spares.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.