Author Topic: UHMW plastic sled runners  (Read 36993 times)

Offline ROB-B

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: UHMW plastic sled runners
« Reply #30 on: Apr 04, 2009, 11:00 PM »
I was think about the same size, 1/4" for the UHMW and then about .125 for the sled thickness. 

Did you use a lockwasher, or a self locking nut with a washer?

I figured better do this while I am replacing the tent on my pro.

I did call Clam Corp and they were out of the runner for the pro until September.

Thanks again,
Rob

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Apr 05, 2009, 07:07 AM »
Yes, I did use a lock washer. I haven't had any loosen up on me yet, but if I did it again I would use a self locking nut.
Ken                                          

Offline ROB-B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Aug 01, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Mods are done with the runners.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Can someone please update the link I can't find the right plastic on that site.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2013, 08:16 PM »
Can someone please update the link I can't find the right plastic on that site.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23217&catid=868
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 30, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I know this thread is really old but hopefully someone can help me with my questions. Are you installing it in the same manner as the Hyfax? That is to say in between the grooves like this:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Hyfax-Runner-Kit/1365693.uts?productVariantId=3187048&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03470919&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=59D2CBC7-C014-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640526111&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57965886431&gclid=CMTE85T_jbsCFWQOOgodOzoAig&gclsrc=aw.ds

The reason I ask is because it looks like most of you used the 1/4" thick plastic but if I install that on my Frabill Deluxe Trekker it will just sit flush with the "runners" that are part of the sled.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Just installed Frabill hyfax runners on my adventurer ...same base as trekker they were quite thick ...may be 3/4 of an inch . sits well above the sled when installed.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:01 PM »
Hmm how many bars did it come with? I'm wondering if I can just get away with only two. That would make it affordable. If I got to town and get six of them to cover the whole sled in the 3/4" thickness it will come to 105.30 before shipping lol.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:06 PM »
I used to work at a place and we used UHMW on some things. I had some cut out for my sled. Counter sunk some bolts and all I can say is,  UHMW is the way to go! It is a lot tougher than the runners you can buy in a store.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:13 PM »
I used to work at a place and we used UHMW on some things. I had some cut out for my sled. Counter sunk some bolts and all I can say is,  UHMW is the way to go! It is a lot tougher than the runners you can buy in a store.

I just figured they were made from the same material. That UHMW sure has gone up in price since this thread was created in 2006 lol. Any ideas where to source the stuff locally?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Hmm how many bars did it come with? I'm wondering if I can just get away with only two. That would make it affordable. If I got to town and get six of them to cover the whole sled in the 3/4" thickness it will come to 105.30 before shipping lol.
     4 they fit inside the groves got them here   http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/frabill-hyfax-kit-predator-onl.aspx?a=710604

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I know this thread is really old but hopefully someone can help me with my questions. Are you installing it in the same manner as the Hyfax? That is to say in between the grooves like this:  http://www.cabelas.com/product/Frabill-Hyfax-Runner-Kit/1365693.uts?productVariantId=3187048&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03470919&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=59D2CBC7-C014-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=30640526111&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=57965886431&gclid=CMTE85T_jbsCFWQOOgodOzoAig&gclsrc=aw.ds

The reason I ask is because it looks like most of you used the 1/4" thick plastic but if I install that on my Frabill Deluxe Trekker it will just sit flush with the "runners" that are part of the sled.
I put these on my otter sled and I did not mount them in the grooves of my sled. Mount them on the part of the sled that rides on the surface of the ice/snow. You won't need more than 1/4" thickness (and 1" wide) for this and can use a minimum of 4 strips.
Ken                                          

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2013, 10:19 AM »
I put these on my otter sled and I did not mount them in the grooves of my sled. Mount them on the part of the sled that rides on the surface of the ice/snow. You won't need more than 1/4" thickness (and 1" wide) for this and can use a minimum of 4 strips.

Bean, seeing as you bought them in 2006, how did they hold up? Rare chance to give a long term review. I might end up doing what you did. Glides well over the ice? No weak spots when loaded with weight? Thanks for the heads up on where to buy.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2013, 12:13 PM »
They're still holding up great. There are lots of scratches and marks on them from dragging over parking lots, gravel roads, and tree branches, but that's to be expected. If I measured them, I'm sure they're still 1/4" thick. They definately helped save the bottom of my sled from more abuse. Well worth the money to protect the sled.
They glide great over the ice. No problems with any weight I've loaded into the sled.
Ken                                          

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2013, 12:05 PM »
I used stainless steel 3/4" flathead machine screws and nuts. I drilled then tapered the holes in UHMW. I also put strong doublesided tape under the UHMW. I put screws on each end of plastic to make it secure.

Bean thanks for all your help. I just ordered 4 pieces that I'm going to install. Did you only use two screws on each runner(one on each end) and double sided tape in between? That held up all these years? I was planning on using screws only maybe one every foot for a total of four.

Offline pbear

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:18 PM »
I'm late to the thread, but why don't you try HDPE?  it's durable and the same material used for snowmobile sliders (pretty sure).?

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Bean thanks for all your help. I just ordered 4 pieces that I'm going to install. Did you only use two screws on each runner(one on each end) and double sided tape in between? That held up all these years? I was planning on using screws only maybe one every foot for a total of four.

I just put 2 screws (one at each end) with double sided tape added underneath.  The double sided tape has lost its grip over the years and has come loose, but I just haven't gotten around to adding any more screws. I would say that 4 screws would hold each strip down well if you decided on that.
Ken                                          

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2013, 04:53 PM »
I'm late to the thread, but why don't you try HDPE?  it's durable and the same material used for snowmobile sliders (pretty sure).?

HDPE is a step below UHMW. I just bought enough UHMW for a runner kit 20 feet for $25.65(plus shipping tbd). The hyfax kits are HDPE and from what I've gathered don't last nearly as long.

I just put 2 screws (one at each end) with double sided tape added underneath.  The double sided tape has lost its grip over the years and has come loose, but I just haven't gotten around to adding any more screws. I would say that 4 screws would hold each strip down well if you decided on that.

Excellent that's just the info I was looking for. Gonna use 16 machine screws and lock nuts as per your recommendations. Thanks for the DIY info on this thread.

Offline dabills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 11, 2013, 12:59 PM »
I wanted to give people some pricing info on the HDPE in case anyone is interested in doing the same thing I did.

As of 12/11/13:
McMaster Carr cost of 16 feet of 1"x 1/4" is $32 and they quoted me $7 shipping to western NY.
I also inquired about 1.25 x 1/4" from them and it came to $37.28 plus $7 shipping.

This would have been my best option, would have cost me $39 total for the 1 inch.

I decided to go with USPlastics because they had yellow and I thought it would look slick on my sled. They only sell 5 foot sections so I bought 20 feet of 1" x 1/4" for $25.65($27 if you don't get quantity discount). Now they quoted me $12-$15 for shipping bring the total to $40.65 but they ripped me off and charged me $23.86 for s&h. Needless to say I wasn't happy and got after them. I sent them the e-mail with the quote and they refunded me $8.86. I would advise you to get a quote in writing before buying from either company so you can call them out if they try to mess with ya. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:38 AM »
great thread. thanks, bean. question - how to put the bend on the front? someone suggested a heat gun. I don't have one. would a hair dryer work?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:20 AM »
great thread. thanks, bean. question - how to put the bend on the front? someone suggested a heat gun. I don't have one. would a hair dryer work?

With the pre cut/drilled Frabill runners I placed them in a 5 gallon bucket of hot water ....worked great ....did during August so with the sled heated from the sun and the runners plyable is was quite easy

Offline Beeler

« Reply #52 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:48 AM »
Wear gloves and use a propane torch. Keep the flame away from the plastic but close enough to heat it so it will bend.
Find something that has about the same curve as the sled and place the warm plastic on that object, then hold it there until it cools and holds it shape.   

Good luck!

Offline maisy22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Oct 07, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Just so people know. I use to deal with usplastic all the time at work. Problem is their shipping cost is out of line. I would buy things and the shipping was 2 to 3 times the price of the item I was buying. Trouble is they are the only one to buy from sometimes. But I now buy from them as little as possible. IMO they make their money off of shipping. 

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:56 AM »
I used my buddy heater to get the bend in the runner. Worked great. Use work gloves because the plastic remains quite hot for a while.
@jzuliniak

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.