Author Topic: New FRABILL Ambush Shelters???  (Read 16680 times)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: New FRABILL Ambush Shelters???
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2013, 04:47 PM »
don't want to sound like a glumey guss but if you have side doors and you have a fair wind of 20-25 and your back is to the wind  and I can have my front door partially open even on windy days , I really don't see a real advantage far as fishing goes , but I don't have small children either , but I will look at it along with all the new shacks
You have a point in not being able to use this shack in a wind break position (I don't believe), but the more vertical front and the ease of getting in and out make this worth considering! Everyone has different needs, that's why there are so many choices!! ;)2 :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2013, 05:32 PM »

your correct on that Old Sailor , thats why every year I look at all the new gadets and gimmicks that I can some good some not so, change sells product be it hard or soft water  ;) I have seen some really nice things so far from a couple reps i know that are coming out this year and one that won't be out until next year due to R+D , but those were things I liked and others may not 

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2013, 02:36 PM »
sounds nice and looks innovative but I fish 4 holes 2 on each side, this isnt my style. I want an otter resort insulated, im waiting for the 1200 fabric to come out.

Offline outdoors13

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Just what everyone thought of these new shelters?  Living in a state where up to four lines are allowed the NEW side doors I think are going to be great to get to tip ups etc.  I like the straight front walls and the increase in room.  Weight isn't a problem with these either!!!  Just curious who else has seen them and what they think.  I'm excited to get my hands on one and also the NEW 261 Reel and Straight Line Tip Up!!  Anyone else excited for what they see?  What is everyone else think?  Going to be a great winter with great new products!!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #34 on: Sep 24, 2013, 06:56 AM »
Just what everyone thought of these new shelters?  Living in a state where up to four lines are allowed the NEW side doors I think are going to be great to get to tip ups etc.  I like the straight front walls and the increase in room.  Weight isn't a problem with these either!!!  Just curious who else has seen them and what they think.  I'm excited to get my hands on one and also the NEW 261 Reel and Straight Line Tip Up!!  Anyone else excited for what they see?  What is everyone else think?  Going to be a great winter with great new products!!
Welcome to the Shanty!! Please update your profile by putting  your location on it! Don't need  the town, but part of a state will give us an idea on how to answer any questions you may ask! Thanks in advance! As for weight not being a problem, I assume you aren't pulling by hand because the lightest model is 110 pounds!!  ;)2 :whistle: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Sep 24, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Im excited for them too! Ill be switching over as soon as my clam pukes!

Go Beavers!

Offline Water and ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Sep 24, 2013, 09:53 AM »
If i remember correctly Eskimo made a shack that had a side door not sure how long ago.

I am a frabill fan and can't wait for the new shack to come out. Just made a smitty sled and cant wait for the forzen water.
 ;D

Offline jhoff88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Sep 25, 2013, 10:39 AM »
Frabill has them on their website now with prices.

http://frabill.com/new-products/ice-new.html

The 2-3 man I assume is similar to the Otter Lodge but is about $150 cheaper.  I am trying to decide between the 2.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 13, 2013, 03:51 AM »
I am going to order the Ambush Thermal tomorrow sometime. Been looking for some reviews and better pics. A cover, hyfax and a towbar to go along with it. What got me sold on the Ambush is the side doors and the front of the shack not being on an angle. Now I'll be able to use longer rods and not hitting the front door like on my Trekker 2.  :thumbsup:

Poorboy

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Oct 13, 2013, 07:24 PM »
Dropped the dime and found the best deal at Reeds Sports in Minnesota. The shack and a few extra items only cost $15 to ship and no tax. The shelter was $759 instead of everyone elses $799. Just can't beat the deals for big $$$ items at Reeds!

Poorboy

Offline Finders Keepers II

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't leave fish to find fish..
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Has anyone got their hands on any of the Frabill Ambush Shelters yet?  :P

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2013, 03:02 PM »
Finally got the Ambush Thermal today. Opened up the box and slid the shack out. Going to put it together tomorrow. In the box weight was 121lbs and a very reasonable shipping price of $15.00.

Poorboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2013, 08:07 AM »
Sweet! We are all on the edge of our seats drool'n .. post your thoughts on it and a few pictures if you can!

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Oct 30, 2013, 10:51 AM »
121lbs....Yikes, what you towing it with?
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:10 PM »
Bass Pro shops has them in stock online! All 3 models!! ;)2

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2013, 05:20 AM »
Finally I'll have the time to finish putting it together later today. I'll post some pics and my opinions sometime over the weekend! First impression of the Ambush DLX was daddy finally gets to drive his Cadillac! Been in a Frabill Trekker 2 the past 3 years and the quality of the Ambush put the Trekker 2 out to dry.

Poorboy

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Nov 03, 2013, 07:36 AM »
Finally I'll have the time to finish putting it together later today. I'll post some pics and my opinions sometime over the weekend! First impression of the Ambush DLX was daddy finally gets to drive his Cadillac! Been in a Frabill Trekker 2 the past 3 years and the quality of the Ambush put the Trekker 2 out to dry.

Poorboy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Were you ever able to put the Ambush together ,any pics. Very intrested in the sled size and thickness and actual fishing room , and just how the darn thing works..   Not grasping the mechanic of it all just yet.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:41 PM »
Waiting on an update... :tipup:

Offline Outlaw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:49 PM »
Had a chance to check these out last weekend at an ice fishing seminar that had all the major product reps there showing their new products (Frabill, Clam, Vexilar, Jiffy etc). The new Ambush shacks look pretty sweet...I personally think the Fish-o-flauge camo is pretty LAME / CHEESY looking myself. I prefer the old style gray look myself. I LOVE the side entry concept. However...we were wondering how well the sides would perform in wind!? There is 1 pole that runs down along the ice and another along the top (door in between). Then there is a vertical stretcher pole in the front center. Seems a bit 'floppy' in my opinion. I just don't know how the sides can possibly keep from being blown in without more side support poles. But, maybe I'm wrong. Will be anxious to hear some 'real-world' reviews this season.

Here's a link with size / price / spec comparison of the 3 Ambush flip models:
http://frabill.com/catalog/product_compare/index/

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 15, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Nice can't wait to see the vid.im waiting before I pull the trigger on it

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 15, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the video as well....Thank You.  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Nov 17, 2013, 12:46 AM »

No need to say anymore! Ice fishing in comfort!

Poorboy

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:18 AM »
How is it to setup?

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Very easy set up. Takes a few minutes. Just pull the poles up and listen for them to click in. I had a Trekker 2 and this set up is about the same.
I added some eye bolts to the tow hitch so I could attach a rope if I want tot pull by hand.

Poorboy

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Nice pics ....any of the interior and the pole system ? How do you think the pole set wil hold up to the wind  with and with out the side doors zippered up ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #55 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:52 AM »
Very easy set up. Takes a few minutes. Just pull the poles up and listen for them to click in. I had a Trekker 2 and this set up is about the same.
I added some eye bolts to the tow hitch so I could attach a rope if I want tot pull by hand.
(Image removed from quote.)

Poorboy

Now there's a good idea... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 17, 2013, 10:53 AM »

Winds from the side may a concern but I think with any shelter it's a concern. Proper set up will make a big difference but setting up any shelter you need to know the wind direction.

Poorboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Nov 18, 2013, 08:51 AM »
While shooting some promo video for our tournament series this coming season..  Tim and I were able to take time to make a great video of the functionality and features of the Frabill Ambush DLX Thermo Shelter that will be given away to the triple crown winning team. Enjoy!

&feature=youtu.be

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:03 AM »
While shooting some promo video for our tournament series this coming season we were able to take time to make a great video of the functionality and features of the Frabill Ambush DLX Thermo Shelter that will be given away to the triple crown winning team. Enjoy!

&feature=youtu.be
       Thank you nice video  :clap: very well done ....one question  are all the support bars  all the same length or is there math involved with pole placement? Also how is the front U bar attached is that on a C clip (like the support bars ) or permanently attached ?  Also can it be set up in a wind break posistion ?  WOW alot of my qusetion answered in that vid ....the hit count gonna be quite high ...thanks again

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Nov 18, 2013, 10:58 AM »
Thank you! YES! All the braces are the same length so there is no guessing to which goes where. The only brace that is different is the one brace that rests on the back side of the sled which one end has a blunt end and the other has the piece that snaps into the U-shape support bar. Also, the front support U bar is permanently there once assembled. It folds up and rotates very easily without any problem.   The shanty is very stable and should be quite good in modest wind conditions. As any other shelter.. placement and knowing direction of wind will help as well.

&feature=youtu.be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.