Author Topic: What floor material are you using with Hub tupe pop up ice shelters? Ideas?  (Read 40181 times)

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
I was curious on seeing some ideas for floor material to cover the ice inside of the hub type pop up ice shelters.  I know some units have a floor in them.   I have a plastic washing machine spill tray that I can put things in to keep dry but was looking for other ideas.  Happy trails....

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
It took me along time to get over the thought of having no floor, but I bought a hub shelter anyway because I liked the weight. I have to say, I do not miss not having a floor at all. In fact, now that I am used to it, I like it better than having a floor. Go floorless for a little while, trust me, you might find the same thing as I did.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
I know going floorless might be just what the doctor ordered.......but we have been going floorless for some time now and it gets pretty wet and sloppy by afternoon with the heater running, and I am looking for some ideas to cover it except where we drill holes.  Thanks.

Offline wallhanger77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • its all about the fishing
I also have a hub style shelter and just love it the ease of setting up and taking down couldn't be easier i don't use a floor in mine either but when the wife goes along with me i take a piece of 3/4 inch foam the type you find at lowes or any other hardware store it has the foil on both sides just to put under her feet so there is some barrier between her feet and the ice seems to work for a while but i don't use a floor
If you want me to listen to you talk about fishing      I am a member of PETA     people eating tastey animals

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Good idea wallhanger. ;D  The foam would be lightweight for transporting also.  Thanks.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
I also use a small piece of closed cell foam rubber to rest my feet on while sitting in my flip over, really helps keep your feet warmer than having your boots right on the ice.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
I have a floor for my 6'X12' QF6 that I use at times. I bought 3/8'' fatigue mat at lowes, and u buy it in any running length off of a huge roll. It is 3' wide, so two laid side by side work great.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
it gets pretty wet and sloppy by afternoon with the heater running,

I found that if you put the heater right on the ice/snow it would get the floor soupy quick, but putting it up on something helped dramatically.

FWIW, before I realized how much I enjoy having no floor I was going to buy these: http://www.sears.com/wilmar-diamond-shape-anti-fatigue-mats/p-00918471000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
I found that if you put the heater right on the ice/snow it would get the floor soupy quick, but putting it up on something helped dramatically.

FWIW, before I realized how much I enjoy having no floor I was going to buy these: http://www.sears.com/wilmar-diamond-shape-anti-fatigue-mats/p-00918471000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4
I pondered the interlocking floor like u posted, but im sure they would just pop apart all of the time, due to being used on un even ice and snow.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Oh, I suppose you might be right!

Offline IM-POUNDING- R -U

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My buddy uses a rubber truck bed liner 4'x8' cut down to fit shanty footprint with holes cut out. He rolls out matte, drills holes then puts shanty on top and secures it.
10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish .....im a 10% are you?

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I stopped putting in a floor, except in deep snow.  It was slipperier than snot.  Not worth it, don't need it.     

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!

Afriend uses the interlocking mats and they work great.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
Depends on the time of year for me when I have to haul it all out in a sled no floor when I can drive my truck out I will bring out a mat.

Offline arrow2968

• IceShanty Rookie
3/4 plywood 14x20   and one 14x15 for top of bucket to sit heater on and keep floor from getting wet. Fits my 66 in plactic tobaggoons.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
I use one 2'x2' fatigue mat under my feet and heater in my flipover. Definitely makes a difference in keeping my feet warm and less melt water around the heater. I used to use a piece of rubber back carpeting but it soaked up too much of the water. That made it heavy and awful sloppy to handle.   Lou

Offline Lrains

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying reflectix it rolls up and is very light

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Doctorgee, I will try raising the heater up to get rid of the soup.  I have seen the interlocking panels at sam's club also.  Thanks.

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Ice.  I use ice as a floor in my popup.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Interlocking foam mats for me.
Works great. Keeps feet warmer & also keeps the heater from melting the ice in front of the heater.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
I may try the interlocking foam mats.  I will probably either cut a round holes in a few for the ice holes or if the size is small enough, just leave some spots open for the holes.   Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Offline nicjohnsrud

• Team IceShanty Regular
We use two 3x4ft door mats. They roll up pretty small and when unrolled cover 4x6ft of the 6x6 shanty. Drill the holes in front and we're good to go!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
A little heavy, but if you are not moving often;
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/rubber-horse-stall-mat-4-ft-x-6-ft

Horse stall mat

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Put the heater up on a milk crate.  then the air below it won't get sucked up into the convection loop. the ice stays frozen bur you feet get colder.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
Put the heater up on a milk crate.  then the air below it won't get sucked up into the convection loop. the ice stays frozen bur you feet get colder.

Not if you're wearing "MICKEYS"..................

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
I have an 8x6 pop up shanty and I got my hands on some 1/2" thick rubber floor that is 6x4 feet, the ones that you would see at a hockey rink.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I use the floor mats from my truck
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use a piece of outdoor carpet.   I also use the carpet to cover my sled when I pull in behind my snowmobile.  I have used it for 3 years and would not go with out it.

Below is from a previous post

quote author=Nosaj link=topic=231738.msg2331758#msg2331758 date=1354628324]
What a find.

Go buy a piece of outdoor carpet and a 1/2" hand grommet kit and make yourself a floor.  Put the grommets in at the same locations as the anchor grommets in the tent and you will have a light weight floor that will keep things from getting sloppy in there.  If you cook in the tent or have the heat on for a long time the ice will melt a little and it will get sloppy and slippery in there.  Make sure the piece is a little larger than the tent.

Nosaj
[/quote]

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
For my nanook I use a tredmill mat it fits perfectly and its thick but rools up with ease
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fleet farm sells a 5x5 insukated mat specifically for this use.
Its $29.95.

I got it.  Works good for keeping cold out.  But does get annoying walking on because if there is ice under you it gets slipper.  And if there is snow under you it gets bunched up.
But its small, light weight and is effective at keeping ice temp down from under yuour feet

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.