Author Topic: Who has built a Michiana Shanty?  (Read 18560 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Who has built a Michiana Shanty?
« on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:14 AM »
Ok, starting to see a few guys who have built a Michiana Style Shanty. Post your pictures here for all too see. I will go first. The green one I built is the first one in the world. I used a hacksaw to cut all the pieces. The second one I used power tools, table saw, chop saw. And the Michiana Shanty 2 was my last build.

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Who has built a Michiana Shanty?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:16 AM »
Do you still have your video you posted on the michiana shanty? It was great seeing how that thing folded and un folded.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Do you still have your video you posted on the michiana shanty? It was great seeing how that thing folded and un folded.
You mean this one?

http://youtu.be/cxUZYDZyY9Q

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:33 AM »
Yup, I love how fast you set that up and take it down.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:31 AM »
That is is pretty cool. Wouldn't even know where to start to try making one. But it is very nice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:36 AM »
That is is pretty cool. Wouldn't even know where to start to try making one. But it is very nice.
A few have figure out how to do it, but I don't think they are active enough on this website to post their pictures. I may have to post some pics of their build for them?

Offline Martian

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:52 AM »
 I would love to see const. plans for that, and the material used, very nice

Offline skavenger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Does anyone have the plans?  I must say this is a great design.

Offline Beets

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If you don't like the way I fish,stay away from me
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:56 PM »
I like how it folds but having to step that high getting in and out has got to be a pain.
....<°)))))>{
<°)))))>{
        <°)))))>{

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I would love to get the plans too build one of those. How much money did you spend on materials?
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:59 PM »
I like how it folds but having to step that high getting in and out has got to be a pain.
I know how to fix the step now. I built it with the step to make it stronger while pushing around on the ice and for pushing on them loading into a vehicle. They are not for the rammy sort of fisherman that everything they own ends up broken. More for the type that understands the stresses of a lightweight object built for a purpose. I used model airplane techniques and you know what happens when you get rough with a model airplane. As far as a cost I can only guess. Most of the shanty is labor cutting and glueing, and stapling. But when a your done, you are warm and comfortable. Having a place to lean back and enjoy the feeling of a backrest. A place that even the smallest of kids can be entertained with the addition of an underwater camera.
  If you use heavy wood it will be heavy, light wood, and you get the picture.

Offline daveyg17k

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Are the plans available? Would love to get an idea of how to build one. I am crafty in building, but not so much in the design portion.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:20 PM »
No plans! I wish I did for all the guys who have asked me over the years. I am planning on doing better than that. A step by step video of the new design without the step. Like I say, it takes some time to build one. And building in the summer makes it easier to glue and staple. I need to figure out how to get the patterns for some of the curved pieces into the hands of the guys building one.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:58 PM »
I think if you look on shanty someone  awhile back posted pretty good pics on the construction of one of these possibly in the shanty section
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 08, 2013, 05:01 AM »
I think if you look on shanty someone  awhile back posted pretty good pics on the construction of one of these possibly in the shanty section
Like I say, I have seen the other versions of my design. I do have a pretty detailed build of the Michiana Shanty 2. Most like the first one I made called the Michiana Shanty. The Michiana Shanty is a two man and takes less than twenty seconds to put up. The Michiana Shanty 2 is 8x8 and holds six men and only takes one minute to put up. I use to say say it took two minutes until someone actually timed me. Eventually the others who built a Michiana Shanty will post there pictures, I know there out there.

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:14 AM »
For those who haven't seen it and to help get the ball rolling Michiana...

I spent about fifteen minutes just folding it and opening it back up again.. Numerous times.. seeing as it takes about a minute to fold up!

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2013, 07:18 AM »
I fixed that! I didn't want to have to step in over that high all the time wearing winter gear..

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Looks great! Lets see a video of it folding ;D

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2013, 10:13 AM »
Video? I just figured out how to post pics.. maybe after I get it on the ice. That's not going to happen for at least a week. The weather up here in Ontario is getting a warm spell . that's give me time to fit out the inside.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2013, 11:08 AM »
I have a trick for some removable shelves before you start putting the insulation into the bottom sections.

Also let me know how good that type of insulation holds up. I always use a foamboard that is a little more expensive, but more durable on the skin. And how the light goes through and if it changes the color of the light inside during the day. Things I always wanted to know.  Thanks

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2013, 01:47 PM »
I have a trick for some removable shelves before you start putting the insulation into the bottom sections.

Also let me know how good that type of insulation holds up. I always use a foamboard that is a little more expensive, but more durable on the skin. And how the light goes through and if it changes the color of the light inside during the day. Things I always wanted to know.  Thanks
I cut the foam board for behind the shelves last night but they are just dry fitted so any help is appreciated.
Now the insulation does not appear to be up to too much rough handling. I'm just hoping the glue joint can withstand the windloads. I used pl300 for the joints and made them fit as tight as possible. As far as how much light enters the hut the blue seems to be overall a better choice. It seems stronger and doesn't let near as much light to shine through. The pink lets in a lot of light, so much so that I don't think I'll need lights inside during the daytime. I looked for the type of foam board you used but up here in Canada it must be coated in gold it costs so much. My foam was recycled so it didn't cost me anything . You can see where I had to stretch my foam and splice pieces together to make them long enough.. but hey it's a shanty I'm building.. not kitchen cupboards! 

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:01 PM »
As long as the wood surface was good enough for the PL300 to soak in it will hold the panels in more wind than you think possible.

I am just leaving work now so I will post some shelving pictures when I get home on the couch. Very simple and lightweight. plus the ability to move them where you want them.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:31 AM »
1 person folding shack 

Offline Beeler

« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Note: I can store all my fishing gear in the shack and when it's folded down I have a small door that swings up to add more gear or just to get at things inside. The Shack is 3 feet x 4 feet with 2 holes.
This is my second folding shack I built, the first was a 2 person. I have it for sale on Craigslist in Green Bay. Right now I'm building another 2 person with no plywood on the walls on the botttom, I'm trying to make it lighter.   

Offline Beeler

« Reply #24 on: Feb 21, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Hey Everyone, I just finished my 4' x 6' folding shack on Feb.20. The plan was to take my father-in-law fishing the next day for white fish. We loaded the shack on my Ford Ranger which the shack sits on top of the wheel wells with the tail gate closed. We were on the highway and only 1 block from our exit and the shack blew off the truck *%#^* .......when I looked in the mirror it did a 360 and came down on the road and ended up on the shoulder of the road.
Good thing no one was behind us. We picked the shack up and placed it in the truck.
When we arrived to our fishing spot we did our best to set it up by remove screw from one part of the shack and placing the screw where need to hold the shack together. 
We ended up getting 8 white fish and this is the first time my 83 year old father-in-law fished for white fish and using a camera. It was so cool to see him watching the tv screen and catch 6 fish. I'll try to piece the shack back together just to get through the winter and maybe build a new one next fall. Glad no one got hurt, just my feelings. Beeler           

Offline osiris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:17 PM »
sucks to hear the shack took a spill thats never a good time but atleast the trip ended on a high note from the sounds of it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2013, 09:53 PM »
Hey Everyone, I just finished my 4' x 6' folding shack on Feb.20. The plan was to take my father-in-law fishing the next day for white fish. We loaded the shack on my Ford Ranger which the shack sits on top of the wheel wells with the tail gate closed. We were on the highway and only 1 block from our exit and the shack blew off the truck *%#^* .......when I looked in the mirror it did a 360 and came down on the road and ended up on the shoulder of the road.
Good thing no one was behind us. We picked the shack up and placed it in the truck.
When we arrived to our fishing spot we did our best to set it up by remove screw from one part of the shack and placing the screw where need to hold the shack together. 
We ended up getting 8 white fish and this is the first time my 83 year old father-in-law fished for white fish and using a camera. It was so cool to see him watching the tv screen and catch 6 fish. I'll try to piece the shack back together just to get through the winter and maybe build a new one next fall. Glad no one got hurt, just my feelings. Beeler           
I loaned one of my shanties to a friend and he let it blow out the back of his truck on the highway. Not enough left to fish from. He left it along the road because he said it wasn't fixable. He did offer to help build the next one, that was five shanties ago. So 2 things I won't do. Let a friend borrow a shanty, or haul one in a pick up without a cap.

One time I was fishing with my son and forgot to latch the walls. We were sitting inside nice and warm in our T shirts and the wind blew the top up and away and all the house of cards started falling on us. It broke in a few places but I was able to put it back together and continue fishing. While I fished I was wondering how I would fold it up being broken, to take it home, but it did and the fix was only an hours work.

Offline Beeler

« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Well it's the next day from my mishap and I'm thinking of all the work I need to do on my shack to fix it and all the work I put into this third shack. I made the bottom panels the same as the uppers, just the wood frame and insulation. It's very light by not putting luan on the bottom. I think I'll fix it the best I can and sell it cheap. I do have a 1 person Clam flip over that I can use in the mean time. Man, once you fish in one of these shacks it's hard to go back to  the canvas shacks when the wind kicks up, the flapping of the canvas drives me crazy after a while. It's sure nice to have a floor that is insulated and the walls not building up with frost and then melting and dripping on you head. Fish on..............Beeler         

Offline Beeler

« Reply #28 on: Feb 22, 2013, 07:34 AM »
sucks to hear the shack took a spill thats never a good time but atleast the trip ended on a high note from the sounds of it
My father-in-law-had a good time. He thought it was great using a camera so he could see the fish take the bait. He sure went home with a smile on his face. Yes, we both had a great time.
Beeler 

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2013, 09:21 AM »
Beeler, any idea on the weight of that one man shack? looks interesting!
I'd rather be :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.