Author Topic: 8X12 Winter Getaway  (Read 10696 times)

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
8X12 Winter Getaway
« on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I have been collecting a few things over the summer waiting to start assembling my shack, picked up my lumber today to make my skid and floor base. Using 2-2x6 treated for skids on each side will liquid nail and screw them together, then floor joist will be 2x4 treated covered up with 3/4 treated plywood. It will be skinned with white metal on the outside and tongue and groove pine on the inside, have 5 PVC vertical sliders 17"x52" for windows. I will be sure to post pictures as I go.

Offline Fishnfun1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 8X12 Winter Getaway
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:24 PM »
please do, love watching progress on these builds

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2012, 09:26 PM »
Sounds like its going to be a good one cant wait for the pics.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2012, 12:53 PM »
love watching these builds

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2012, 03:33 PM »
Should have the floor framed up this weekend.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Need some opinions, I am on the fence on what I want to do with my hole cutouts.

Should I go with these?

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!Bc!vi7gBGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEq5FvmbtNBKy m6dqj)Q~~_12.JPG[/img

or do the standard square cutout that rest on the joists?

It would mean $150 more or so to go with the pvc covers.

Offline Lavman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Passing along the traditions
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2012, 12:44 PM »
Go with the PVC if you can swing it in your budget, they make for a really nice, clean install

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2012, 07:14 PM »
Go with the PVC if you can swing it in your budget, they make for a really nice, clean install
X2

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2012, 11:20 PM »
Need some opinions, I am on the fence on what I want to do with my hole cutouts.

Should I go with these?

(Image removed from quote.)

There ya go!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2012, 10:48 AM »
Well if I order from the States and get a cheaper price I pay through the nose on shipping, if I buy from a local supplyer I am paying $37 a unit, either way for 6 covers I am in over $200, I am sorry but I can't justify that kind of money just to have "a clean look" I will have to figure out somethig that looks good with a square wood cutout. Still planning to frame up the floor this weekend, that is unless it is really nice, then the little guy and I will head out in the boat and do some fishing.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2012, 12:22 PM »
You could still go with round if you want and make your own sleaves out of 5 gallon buckets with the bottem cut out. Just an idea for ya.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2012, 02:55 PM »
It will be nice either way I am sure

Offline diabetik11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2012, 11:04 PM »
i think fish house supply has catch covers for 17 or 18 dollars if i remember right

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2012, 11:27 PM »
i think fish house supply has catch covers for 17 or 18 dollars if i remember right
If your handy just make some! ;D :icefish:
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Sep 14, 2012, 02:55 PM »

Should I go with these?

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/03/!Bc!vi7gBGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYEq5FvmbtNBKy m6dqj)Q~~_12.JPG[/img

This looks like a good deal to me. You could buy all 16 covers, keep what ya want and sell the rest to help cover your expenses. They look like nice covers too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Fishing-Round-Hole-Covers-Case-Of-16-/130765084453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7234d725
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 14, 2012, 03:12 PM »
This looks like a good deal to me. You could buy all 16 covers, keep what ya want and sell the rest to help cover your expenses. They look like nice covers too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ice-Fishing-Round-Hole-Covers-Case-Of-16-/130765084453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7234d725

That is a good deal, my inlaws live close to the US boarder, might have to look at getting these shipped up to a boarder town and have them go pick them up. Seller doesn't ship to Canada and doesn't allow questions.

Thanks for the link. Also for anyone looking I might have some covers for sale in the near future.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 14, 2012, 03:47 PM »
Any pics of the permy yet?

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Sep 14, 2012, 04:00 PM »
Any pics of the permy yet?

Framing up the floor on Sunday, was going to do it Saturday but it's suppose to be +25*C and the little man and I are going to head out in the boat to fish instead.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2012, 06:18 PM »
That is a good deal, my inlaws live close to the US boarder, might have to look at getting these shipped up to a boarder town and have them go pick them up. Seller doesn't ship to Canada and doesn't allow questions.

Thanks for the link. Also for anyone looking I might have some covers for sale in the near future.
;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rick76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2012, 08:37 AM »

Should I go with these?

Offline Smax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 16, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I have been collecting a few things over the summer waiting to start assembling my shack, picked up my lumber today to make my skid and floor base. Using 2-2x6 treated for skids on each side will liquid nail and screw them together, then floor joist will be 2x4 treated covered up with 3/4 treated plywood. It will be skinned with white metal on the outside and tongue and groove pine on the inside, have 5 PVC vertical sliders 17"x52" for windows. I will be sure to post pictures as I go.
Can't wait for the pics. Please post.
GO PACK GO

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Sep 16, 2012, 01:03 PM »
Well Saturday was a wash as far as the shack went, but my 2.5 year old son and I went out on the lake from about 8:45am-10:45am and caught about a dozen jack fish (threw them all back) and landed 3 good size pickerel, got back just in time to fry them up for a great lunch! Got to spend all morning out in the garage with my little guy, here is the progress so far, you can see the windows in the back that I will be using 3 of the smaller ones and 2 of the big ones.

You can see my little helper heading inside.

Used all treated lumber with 3 inch drywall screws, doubled up 2x6's on the outside for runners, will add 3" wide puck board to the bottom of the runners.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 16, 2012, 01:09 PM »
Nice, now you got me hooked this will be the first post I look at every time I log in till your done. I love watching shack builds.

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #23 on: Sep 16, 2012, 01:53 PM »
nice progress so far! i am curious to see how this all comes together! i am on the fence about building a large shack like this myself but i dont know how i would get it to and from the lake with the only trailer available to me being a snowmobile trailer... it is a tilt trailer tho so i think if i went a tad smaller it would be do-able.. im still leaning towards a trailer drop down... make sure to keep the build pic heavy for us rubber necks!

Offline stingerhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 16, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Looks good so far, The only thing I question is the 3" drywall screws, I have never had any luck with them, I find they back out, rust and they don't seem to have any strength, JMHO>

good luck keep the pics coming.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 16, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Looks good so far, The only thing I question is the 3" drywall screws, I have never had any luck with them, I find they back out, rust and they don't seem to have any strength, JMHO>

good luck keep the pics coming.

Funny 3" drywall screws have been what i've always used with no trouble I do also use liquid nail to help hold things square. Never had mine rust, must be useing something different than what you had.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 16, 2012, 08:55 PM »
looks good

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2012, 09:20 PM »
Looks like a good start ! Looking forward to the build !
---- Joe ----

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Lookin good!

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:49 PM »

I have no affiliation with this person, just wanted to pass along a smoken deal to my fellow ice brothers. Emailed this seller and bought a pack of 16 covers for $100 + shipping, which was less than $30 to North Dakota. Email is [email protected] and sellers name is Tasha. Didn't need 16 but for that price I couldn't not buy 16, I will sell the 10 I don't use locally as I know the cheapest you can find around here is $35+ taxes per cover.

Thanks for the link Ice Dawg worked out great!!! My shack will look better because of you : )

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.