Author Topic: Eskimo vs. Shappell vs. Frabil Hub Shelters  (Read 17257 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo vs. Shappell vs. Frabil Hub Shelters
« Reply #30 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:15 AM »
I have a killzone hub I bought on ebay no complaints about unit besides its not a flip over and gets to be a pain to set up and take down if you want to move alot.  I like the new eskimo ones with the fat bottom and the smaller top.  I saw them on glens web site cheap.  thats what I would go with or If I would just buy another killzone there customer service is great and its held up very well.  also with it tie down stakes there on the outside of the shanty so you can tie down a corner or the back wall before you set up on windy day so I like that also.  I see on the clams you have to set it up on the inside so im not to fuzzy on that one.

Offline rangerbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2012, 04:27 PM »
Just looked at bass pro last night..  The windows on the frabill were much thicker than on the shapell.  The material seemed thicker and vents were nicer...also stiching seemed better.  I was comparing the 6x12 models and they were the same price.  Frabill seemed better built overall.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:07 PM »
I am also thinking of getting the fatfish double. I like the idea of having more room at the fishing level. I kn it fishes 6-8 people. I know they say it fishes 6-8 peolpe, but those of you that have one, How many people do you think you can fish comfortably. I have a Shappell 1.5 Rover. I can squeeze my wife or one of my kids in it, but any bigger and it will not work. I have two young boys, I can  see future trips with them and atleast another person. That is why I am thinking a lil' bigger.

Offline flyangler00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:48 PM »
i have 2 frabill hubs, the outpost and headquarters, love them! but that fatfish sure catches my eye!! more room and windows.. plus they offer the insulated one... havent needed insulation yet this yr, but i do wish that frabill would offer one... maybe next yr!!  and i believe that all the hubs are made in china.. not sure bout shappell however...

may you have tight lines and good times, we'll see you on the water

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:59 PM »
There is my killzone.  On its 4th year.  When I got it new I was not impressed with the windows so I duct taped around them right out of box.  Great hub great price and awesome customer service.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Not to take over this post, but keep them coming. Love the pics too. Thanks, No if we can get some feedback and pics from the fatfish guys. You all have sweet setups.

Offline AA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 28, 2012, 12:06 PM »
I have an Eskimo 5x5, Clam 6x6, and another blue one (Norhthlander) 6x12 that is a local store's line. The Eskimo has popped a bolt at the center of one of the hubs, an easy fix. Eskimo ice anchors are the best. I've put the Clam through the most hrs and sessions and it's still in perfect condition. The Northlander had a window crack but I taped it and it's been doing fine. The 6x12 has a thimble for a wood stove that I installed. We use that one for winter camping and will stay right out on the ice and have holes in the corners. If I'd known Shappels were US made I probably would have bought one of them. Haven't tried insulated models but they seem slick.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2012, 06:43 PM »
I have often thought about putting a small woodstove inside my cube...where'd you get the stove jack?

MD

Offline AA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:31 AM »
I looked at a bunch of pics and went for it. I purchased the stove, set up the shelter inside w/ the stove laid out where it needed to be (far enough from the wall & located in the center in my case) and then put the chimney together enough to see where I wanted it to go through the wall. Then figured how big I wanted my sheet metal thimble to be (in retrospect I could have gone smaller) and grabbed the scissors. I then took two pieces of cotton fabric and cut them into the same size rectangles w/ the middle cut out to the same size as the hole in the wall. These pieces are about 4" wide all the way around. I did two pieces of material so I could fabric glue the first one on the outside of my shelter fabric and then I hand sewed the outer one on the two sides and the bottom. This way I could slide the thimble in on the outside of the tent and have a layer of cotton material between the thimble and the shelter material (I was worried about a hot thimble possibly melting the wall). The sewing was done on the far outside of the cotton so there was a bit of wiggle room when sliding the thimble in the slot. I then sewed some velcro on the top so I could seal the top of the cotton sleeve and the thimble would be decently fixed in place. You also see soft fiberglass material used for stove jacks but I like the sheet metal because I can tape over the hole to the chimney, put the thimble in and still use propane stove if I don't feel like doing the wood stove; I'm not sure how you'd cover the soft stove jack to run it w/o wood heat. Sorry for the long winded explanation; did I cover it good enough? I did some extra sewing on the tent after cutting it open so that the existing joints wouldn't open up after being cut open. We've done about a dozen nights of camping in it and a couple dozen fishing sessions in it and everything is holding up nicely. Let me know if you'd like any further explanation. The stove is a Knico brand w/ folding legs and collapsable stove pipe assembly; chimney fits in the stove box and legs fold in for small and easy hauling. I bought the warming rack and water heater too w/ the stove (the things on the side of the stove).

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:59 AM »
I picked up an Eskimo 949 when they were on sale for $250 a few weeks back.
Only used it once but quite happy with it.
Set up easily & was easy to heat.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:05 PM »
Those new fatfish shelters look nice. I like the fatter bottom

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 30, 2012, 09:25 PM »
fatfish  = cheap material

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:59 PM »
on an overnight fishing trip last weekend we got to compare my Quickfish 4 against the Clam popup (about same size), and the fatfish 949. results are....FF949 has more room, but Clam and QF4 have more room to standup, about the same to set up all 3. Eskimo ice anchors are much better. One feature that stood out when heaters were fired up and condensation started......my QF4 with the removeable vapor barrier in the roof was awesome. Everybody else had water dripping on them.  One thing on the two taller popups.....taller roof does take a little more propane to heat, but I never did have to turn my Mr. Heater/cooker up above low setting to keep it comfortable. All three have good features.
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:25 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Heaven!!!!! The mountains in the back drop are awesome. That is my type of living right there. What lake is that?

I need a shelter. Had a HT i think years back but got stolen................ . :'( wasnt the greatest anyways and id often get tangled up in a mess of rods.
They all look great and im sure all are improvemants over what i had. Anyone know of a company making "covers" for extra warmth?

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:37 PM »
The hubs are great for my style of fishing. I would not buy one from any where other then LL Bean. They are all made the same and Beans has the Shappell for the same price, but it comes with a lifetime warranty, that in itself is priceless. I have had mine for 3 seasons with no problems what so ever.

Just checked their (llbean)
site. Nothing for shelters on there.  When did you buy yours?  I've had bad experiences with clam and eskimo, and am sketched about portable shelters now.

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #46 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:00 AM »
It's tough to beat the quality or the recent prices of the AP Xtreme Ice shelters.
I know they're not going to be available in the future and are hard to find but they're a great shelter.
Glens shelters appear to be identical. Just another option.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #47 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:05 AM »
site. Nothing for shelters on there.  When did you buy yours?  I've had bad experiences with clam and eskimo, and am sketched about portable shelters now.

Not online, but in the Freeport retail store.  WW has had his awhile, I just bought one there after Christmas.  They may be out now, but worth a call to see.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:42 AM »

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:10 AM »
Eskimos do it for me!!!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:09 PM »
I just looked at a few hubs today at the local store. I like the fatfish because of the fatter bottom, but the quickfish is taller which also be nice. still not sure which one tho

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:13 AM »
My brother ordered shapell 6000 last week it's not on there website or catalog You have to CALL 199.95 free shipping.
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:00 AM »
Can I ask a question of you guys with these hub types? General question. This year doesn't seem to be an issue, yet, but when you use them on a warmer day when there is a lot of snow on the ice, do you find them to be a disadvantage becasue of the lack of a floor? I have a Clam suitcase style, probably 25 years old, I really like it quite a bit becasue of the tub style floor. When there is a bunch of snow on the ice, and say it starts to warm up and melt, Is it not a mess inside these shelters with no floor?

I guess my question is, those of you that have owned shelters with floors before owning a hub, do you miss the floor?

I'm after something lighter. The Clam is easily 60-70 lbs with all the poles. It's also a bear to set up in the wind, but aren't they all. I tow with a snowmobile so the weight is usually no concern. This year with no snow I need to get myself a lighter setup so I can walk. I'm going to be shut out of fishing some spots that are a good mile hike from where I park, and that is before I even get to the ice. It would be nice to have something that fits right in the jet sled.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #53 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I have waterproof boots and a chair, I don't miss the floor at all!

(had a Frabil suitcase in the past, then a Killzone hub, and now a Shappel 6000 ~ next will be a sled type shelter for the sled days)

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #54 on: Feb 09, 2012, 08:04 AM »
Can I ask a question of you guys with these hub types? General question. This year doesn't seem to be an issue, yet, but when you use them on a warmer day when there is a lot of snow on the ice, do you find them to be a disadvantage becasue of the lack of a floor? I have a Clam suitcase style, probably 25 years old, I really like it quite a bit becasue of the tub style floor. When there is a bunch of snow on the ice, and say it starts to warm up and melt, Is it not a mess inside these shelters with no floor?

I guess my question is, those of you that have owned shelters with floors before owning a hub, do you miss the floor?

I'm after something lighter. The Clam is easily 60-70 lbs with all the poles. It's also a bear to set up in the wind, but aren't they all. I tow with a snowmobile so the weight is usually no concern. This year with no snow I need to get myself a lighter setup so I can walk. I'm going to be shut out of fishing some spots that are a good mile hike from where I park, and that is before I even get to the ice. It would be nice to have something that fits right in the jet sled.
Dont miss the floor much.. Only if there is deep snow and water floods up through thats no fun. On those days i just bring my hard bottom with me.  I just purchesd 8- 2 foot rubber mats from Mardens to lay down on the ice in my hub.. They work awesome.. :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2012, 08:08 AM »
Interlocking foam mats are light & add some insulating value to the floor of a pop-up.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline troutslayerny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Interlocking foam mats are light & add some insulating value to the floor of a pop-up.

great idea, bought from here to cover our kids' play room : http://www.foamtiles.com/

Offline bottomfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Mar 05, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Eskimo Quickfish series. I have a Shappell 5000, an AP Outdoors one man hub, and the Quickfish 2. Eskimo is by far the easiest to set up and take down. Their anchors are the best and window set up is the best for me. Shappell has durable fabric but is otherwise not too exciting. Ap Outdoors is a royal pain to take down. I hope Eskimo does some more insulated models and that will be next on the list.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.