Author Topic: Building my new perm (updated 1/4 most of the wiring done, new pictures)  (Read 7276 times)

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Building my new perm (updated 12/18 framed in)
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2011, 10:26 PM »
lookin good lots of fun to build. :tipup:

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #31 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Nice build!! :clap: :clap:
FISH ON

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:11 PM »
I tore the vinal flooring out of my shack, and painted it with the roll in bed liner stuff.  The vinal was really, really slippery when it got a little wet.  It was a real safety hazard...  Something to think about...

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:11 PM »
i wouldnt sweat the DOT regs about the yellow lights... Being that its an ice shanty it wont spend much time on the roads... If this was an actual trailer that was going to see ALOT of highway miles I would put them in but since it will spend 95% of its timeon the ice dont worry about it.... Or at least I wouldnt ;D
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:53 PM »
I tore the vinal flooring out of my shack, and painted it with the roll in bed liner stuff.  The vinal was really, really slippery when it got a little wet.  It was a real safety hazard...  Something to think about...

Exactly what I was thinking, and why Id never use the stuff. Imagine the holes from ice cleats! LOL

Looking GREAT so far though Ty!

Im building one like yours next summer so Im going to be following your build to get inspiration.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:01 PM »
the vinyl flooring should be fine with a nice little deck outside to stomp your feet off on, haha.

I got a little bit more done today. I put in the light under the door so it will be easy to see outside and keep me off my rear at night, two more windows framed in, two more studs in, and the other wheel arch made. I would have gotten a lot more done, but I didn't start working on it till around three.

Im really hoping that I can start on the paneling tomorrow so that I can start on the rest of the wiring and get the roof on.

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:34 PM »
I got it all framed in today! I also built the door and framed a window into that too, haha

I also got the three little lights in the back cut in, but the lights I picked up are too big for the gromets and holes I cut so I'm going to have to get some smaller ones tomorrow. I also picked up a deep cycle battery so I can start getting wires run and testing stuff out. Finally I also went and picked up all the boards for the roof so I can start on that too.

every day it gets a little closer to being done, but it still has a long way to go.

I also have a question for guys who have used steel roofing on their shacks. What did you use for plywood underneath the steel, and is it worth my time to insulate the roof too? I have plenty of insulation, so I'm thinking that I might do it anyway and put some more luan up on the ceiling too while I'm at it.

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building my new perm (updated 12/20 all windows framed)
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Looks great, nice job.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:01 PM »
i would definetly insulate the roof.  when warm air hits the cold metal it will condense and it will feel like it's raining in there!  i personally prefer white styrofoam, or the yellow plystyrene sheets, but even batt fiberglass will work especially if you sheet it inside and put housewrap(tyvek) on the ouside before you side it.  looks good so far!

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2011, 05:08 PM »
i would definetly insulate the roof.  when warm air hits the cold metal it will condense and it will feel like it's raining in there!  i personally prefer white styrofoam, or the yellow plystyrene sheets, but even batt fiberglass will work especially if you sheet it inside and put housewrap(tyvek) on the ouside before you side it.  looks good so far!

X2   Besides, heat rises and you won't keep the heat in as well! That and the rain issue makes it worth the effort!! Looks great!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:51 PM »
Ty,
  I feel I'm kinda of a roofing expert ( took mine off 4 times till I got it right ) lol
I ran straping with a vapor barrier over that then the metal roof . It's strong I'm 230 and was walking all over it no issue at all . We have also already had over a foot of heavy wet snow no issue at all !
Defenitly insulate the roof ! Will keep all that heat in .A small fan goes along way !
How are you planning to charge the battery ? Just picked up a solar kit for mine (2 panels and a controller )
Very nice build my freind !
Are the wheel well covers removable ? I made mine so that I could take them out if I ever had to get at the tires .
 Just an idea !
Great job I see things you have done I wish I had done in mine !
---- Joe ----

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:17 PM »
I suggest cutting up some old rubber car mats to line your wheelwells, kinda like mudflaps, to keep water/slush from getting to your wood.

Id paint the underside of the wheelwells too before getting the mudflaps put on.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:39 PM »
i got 2 15 watt panels and the charger controller from a guy on craigslist for $85.  i put them on the roof (amidst laughter from my buddies) but you know what...i haven't charged the battery since i hooked them up.  i've got 6 led lights in it running with 2 computer fans to blow the warm air down and pop up camper lp heater with a fan and a thermostat.  i always turn everything of when i'm out there at night working on it and i was just outside and checked...the battery is still sitting at 12.6 volts....very nice option for $85.   i will definetly do that again on the next one...highly recommended

i am going to have to post some pics when i finish everything up on the inside...i haven't been real religious of taking build pics, but will surely find time to bask in the glow of a finished product!

good luck

matt

Offline Joedirt34

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life on the ice
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:50 PM »
Pipeboy,
  Glad to hear the solar is working for you . Sounds like we have the same setup . I did add a power inverter to mine .
---- Joe ----

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Im very interested in the solar system, but that might be something I add next year as right now Im more concerned about getting the whole thing put together first, and I want to do some more research on how the whole thing works.

Today I had a few minutes to work on it, and I got the paneling put on the back end and its really starting to look like something now. tomorrow I need to get some more screws for the outside paneling.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 21, 2011, 11:18 PM »
hey joe...yeah it sounds similar...i'm pretty sure that they are from northern tool, or harbor freight or someplace cheap, but i know the last time i looked those same panels were around $100 a piece. then you have to buy a charger controller so you don't fry the battery.  since i kept the bottom of my crushed starcraft pop up, i still have the propane heater, and more importantly the inverter and converter and all of the outlets that were in it.  i may have gutted the inside, but i moved and kept all the "goodies" intact.  i did add a 12 volt cigarette style outlet to it though just to charge my phone whilst wetting my line!

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 26, 2011, 03:29 PM »
well I have made some progress in the last couple of days, I got all of the paneling on the outside, all of the windows in for now, and all of the studs cut for the rafters. I'm thinking tomorrow might be the day that it gets pushed outside if I get up early and run to menards to get the stuff for the roof. I'm kinda waiting to get my stove before I buy anything to install it so I can see what I need to do to get it to fit safely.

I also got one whole piece of insulation in today, haha. Its just really hard for a guy with ADD to not lose interest quickly  in something like that, so I'm just going to try to do a piece or two every time I work on it so that I don't get too bored.

Offline tla100

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 26, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Looks Great! I am planning on one next year out of a cube van/delivery box.

I would just like to add a good spot for the crapper/5 gallon bucket, would be in the V-front of the camper. If you are going to put one in anyway. I seen the battery box ect there already but just thought to throw it out there. Maybe even make an encloser to enter from the outside, old school outhouse style.

Also it may be a good place for propane tank to sit.

For the rear lights, you can buy them in a strip with the 3 lights installed on the bar already with one set of wire leads.

Good luck! Hope you get er out on some ice.

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:44 PM »
looking great keep us posted :tipup:

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building my new perm (updated 12/28 tail lights working)
« Reply #49 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:35 PM »
well I got the tail lights working today! I would like to recommend to anyone who is doing a build like this to put the flooring down then flip the trailer up on its side and run the wiring, it will save you lots of time on your back sliding around on a creeper, haha. All of the running lights work, as well as the amber marker lights in the front corners, and the turn signals.

I also got a buddy to come over and put some insulation in, and I would say its about half done right now.

I also got a small wood stove from fish house supply, and it is totally garbage and will be going back. I saw a nice looking one made by a local guy at the bait shop that Im going to see if I can pick up tomorrow.

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Building my new perm (updated 12/28 tail lights working))
« Reply #50 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Too bad you don't live closer to somerset WI....I have a nice one that would be perfect for you.  I made it out of empty refrigerant jugs, and it heats like a champ.  I didn't use it in mine cause I kept the direct vent propane one that was in the camper.  It even has an outside air intake and an air tight door with a grate. A top notch build if I don't say so myself. I may have to even send you a pic!

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building my new perm (updated 12/28 tail lights working))
« Reply #51 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:35 PM »
I got quite a bit done today, its almost totally closed in except for in between the roof studs, and I also got the door skinned and the last window put in, I also got the insides of the wheel wells covered with some scrap luan, which I will swap out for tin next year, but I'm sure it will be fine for this year.  I'm hoping that I can get the rest of it closed in tomorrow so I can get all of the wiring and insulation in.

it also cleared the garage by about 1.5 inches, haha. It sure feels good to see it sitting outside.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Lookin snazzy Ty!

You gonna paint/stain the outside?

Offline twintrades

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin for dinner
nice job now lets see some inside shots !

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
That is a beast all right, very nice. And interior shots.

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
I'm not going to paint it this year, but I plan on siding it next year when I have a little more cash. I dont have any interior shots right now, but I will start adding them in the next week or so as I start to work on it.

Offline MRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hurry Up ICE!!!
Nice work Ty, looks great. I bet you can't wait to get out and use it!

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I bit the bullet today and made myself get the rest of the wall insulation in today, well except for the two pieces I left out to work on the wiring. I also got all five of the inside lights wired in for now untilled I put the ceiling in. From what I can tell right now as its starting to get dark it should be brighter in there than it is in my shop, haha.

It was around 28 degrees and cloudy today, and with just the wall insulation in and no roof insulation it got up to 78 inside with just a sunflower on low, I had the windows open and just a t shirt on. It was nice to be working on it an warm for once, haha.

I will put up some pictures once it gets dark out and I can see how the lights work out

Offline Ty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Building my new perm (updated 1/4 most of the wiring done )
« Reply #58 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:23 PM »
front

back

outside at night

inside picture at night with the lights on, its very bright in there, haha

Offline pipeboy98

• Team IceShanty Addict
how did you mount the lights...and what does the ceiling look like?  looking good man!  i like the stone linoleum...nice touch!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.