Author Topic: hard pulling clam pro??  (Read 5039 times)

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
hard pulling clam pro??
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:46 PM »
so I bought a clam pro during the offseason with the runners on it.  went to black lake and used it for the first time.  I have never dragged anything that dragged so hard across the lake.  I didnt have it loaded very heavy and honestly weighed about what my jet sled weights loaded with all my gear and hub.  I dont know if its from the grooves in the runners or what it is but it did not pull by hand easy whatsoever.  anyone know if its from the runners?

Offline Captain Happy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hard pulling clam pro??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:20 AM »
  I had the runners put on my pro also,  and that year I didn't have to go in for a stress test,  it will kill you.  The runner package should have said  USE ONLY WITH ATV'S, SNOWMOBILE,  OR DOGS ONLY.   I ended up leaving them on  (otherwise the bottom would have had a bunch of holes in them) and bolted snow ski's right under them.  This solved the problem.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:30 PM »
I have a kenai and first time pulling it on the ice was this year that thing dragged like i was on pavement. it must have something to do with size of the base and the weight in it. I was hoping to put the runners on it to make it easier to pull. next time I will use my med otter sled and put everthing and the kenai into that

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:40 PM »
I don't have the Clam runners under my Pro ( I made my own from snowmobile sliders), but under certain conditions, the snow can stick to the bottom of the tub and make it feel like you're dragging a slab of concrete. I spray a coating of Armour All before I head out on a trip where I'm going to be pulling by hand, it seems to make a big difference.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2012, 06:25 AM »
I mounted skis I bought from good will or salvation army store dont remember which one for about 5 bucks or less cant remember that either but I know it wasnt anymore than five bucks on my Kenai, bought a deer drag harness on Amazon for about the same price, works beautiful and I have a heart condition and have a pacemaker defibulator installed in my chest so pulling was crucial for me less drag, thats why I sold my 2 man clam loved it but way to heavey to pull by myself and it had the factory skis on it and it didnt make a difference in my opionion. Now all I need is ice to go out on with my shelter lol. >:(

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:51 AM »
hmmm armor all might have to try that weekend.  skis at salvation army never thought of that either to look there.  i thought of the skis.  now I thought about putting my pro on top of my otter sport sled and hoping it would balance saturday when I walk out but i might just do the armor all thing and see how that works.

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:39 AM »
I'm amazed know one has mentioned a Smitty Sled yet .

They are a major benefit and a must have for hand pulling in snowy conditions .

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2012, 03:52 PM »
This is what I put my loaded shack on to pull by hand....works great...

Offline Captain Happy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:29 PM »
This is what I put my loaded shack on to pull by hand....works great...

(Image removed from quote.)
   Yes the Smitty sled is great, but the runners that is on his sled (clam) suck even when pulling on 1" of snow. 

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:18 AM »
well im getting some down hill skis to mount under the runners for it.  I beleive my buddy has a old set in his garage so hes supposed to hook me up with them.  for this weekend I am going to try to put it on top of my otter med size sport sled and drag it that way.  im going to a new lake so hopefully im not walking to far lol.  soon ill be able to use my wheeler or sled to pull it I hope.  see the dilema is that I have been taking 2 flip over shantys and dont have room in the back of my truck for another wheeler or anything and the lake at my house is not ready to go yet. 

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2012, 06:39 AM »
jbird68

Offline bobbyz04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:45 AM »
yep im building one this week.  decided there wasnt much snow so i pulled it out by hand got the old ticker going good.  good thing im still a fairly young lad. 

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:54 AM »
X2 on tough pulling for an old guy. Mine pulls like it's full of bricks, and there's only 4 rods and a tackle box in it. If I remember right it only weighs 47lbs. yea right. I'm going gto build a smitty sled. thanks for the link.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:13 AM »
X2 on tough pulling for an old guy. Mine pulls like it's full of bricks, and there's only 4 rods and a tackle box in it. If I remember right it only weighs 47lbs. yea right. I'm going gto build a smitty sled. thanks for the link.
Mine pulls fine, second season with it. I have a vex, buddy jr, 5 rods, 2 tip-ups, 2 ice riggers, 2 skimmers (one plastic and one HT extendable), a 23lb Strike-Lite II 4-stroker, and a couple of pepsi's and two snicker bars  ;D

I pull it over 1.5 miles to differnet spots and am over 50yo (barely lol), thinking of selling it for a Nanook next season. Never had a problem with the ProTC except for the chinese bolts  ::)

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:27 AM »
My pro pull like crap too.  I think the base is too short and the front edge doesn't have a gradual enough slope.  My friend has the guide and I think that pulls easier.  I also have the Voyager and it doesn't seem to pull all that much harder-it's definitely harder, but if I put the most of the weight toward the back, it seems to ride up and over a little snow better.  For all the extra room I get it's worth the extra effort if conditions aren't too bad.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:36 AM »
fwiw, I did swap out the stock pull rope for a 16'er.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2012, 07:33 AM »
Agreed...fish traps pull terrible on any snow or slush.  I made this platform for mine.  It big enough that I can get 2 pro's or scout's on it, if just my pro is on it my auger and rod case get bungeed on the back.  The skis come off since just riding on conduit legs...fits against the tailgate or the cab.

]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.