Author Topic: Red Shirt Lake continued.  (Read 2048 times)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Red Shirt Lake continued.
« on: Feb 12, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Following a thread from Jan. 2017 which raised my interest.  It appears some anglers have fished Red Shirt and I would be heading back there to stock up on some pike.  My question is this, is there room to park the truck and sled trailer at the end of the road prior to the trail head?  Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Red Shirt Lake continued.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:33 AM »
I wouldn’t waste your time with redshirt if your looking to “stock up” on pike.  That Lake has been hammered pretty good and everyone I talked to that goes out there said they only catch maybe 2 or 3 hammerhandles in a day.  If I were you I’d head out to figure 8 or one of the lakes in that area.  Be careful though I guess the trail is real ruff.  Also the winter parking starts around mile 2.5 of Nancy Lake pkwy, from there it’s roughly 4.5-5 miles to the redshirt trailhead, and from there it’s another 3 miles to the north end of the lake.  Pm me if you are looking for other options.
I was born an Alaskan I just didn't live here at the time.

Offline Bushwhack Jack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I wonder why redshirt is not that good for ice fishing.  I've fished that a lot in the summer time and we usually do really good.  Last June my son and I got 40 in one day.  And most were small hammerhandles, but occasionally you catch one that goes 24"-36".

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Yeah I don’t know either it’s kind of weird.  Maybe they go out deeper to chase bait or something.   I think what Charlie needs to do is man up and go chase some real fish😀

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:24 AM »
Thanks for the help guys and AK, your probly right, just need to man up!

Offline Akhardwater

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:17 AM »
The invitation is there just let me know.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.