The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Gas Auger Repair - Pittsburgh  (Read 865 times)

Offline Vlad On Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
Gas Auger Repair - Pittsburgh
« on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:31 PM »
Hello - looking for recommendations on where to get a gas auger repaired/tuned in or near Pittsburgh.  Thanks in advance.

Offline TIME2FISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gas Auger Repair - Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 12:40 AM »
There's a place on the Ohio River Blvd (Route 65) between "McDonald's" and "Economy Transmissions" called "Mower Rescue" 4569 Ohio River Blvd. - they do small engine repair.
My son had two old non-running mowers repaired there, and said they run better than when they were new. I've been planning to give them a call to see if they can repair my 70's
"Magnum III Plus" auger, it needs the carb rebuilt. Their phone # is 412-223-2524.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4928097,-80.062279,3a,37.5y,244.64h,85.36t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sC2yRAxOe1upaUu1SMwEX oQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline Vlad On Ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2020, 01:47 AM »
Time2Fish -Thanks for the info! I'll give them a call.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2020, 09:19 AM »
I had a gas auger and was a real pain d/t all the ethanol in the gas.  I ended up using the canned gas from Lowes that was premixed and ethanol free.  Best investment was when I went to the ION battery powered  auger.  Can drill many holes.  Nez

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:56 PM »
I didn't know anybody was still using these old fire-breathers!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Retired222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2020, 03:53 PM »
I use the premixed fuel in all my two cycle engines and it made a world of difference in how they start and run.

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:48 PM »
I know 5 different people that used the gas augers and every so often, have to have the carb rebuilt.  These 5 people all have IONs now...just saying.  Pros:  light weight, easy starting and drilling, no smoke, can use inside shanty
Cons:  have to buy another auger, but around same price as good gas auger, does not drill as many holes as tank of gas on one charge.  (still drills 125 holes or so in 8 inches ice...have done this)

Offline hard water jim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2020, 03:11 AM »
I went with the Eskimo pistol bit this year and love it. Lite weight, no fumes or gas to mess with and it starts every time. Sold the gaser and will never look back!

That being said, I always dumped the gas out of mine at the end of the season and then ran it until it was dry. Choking it at the end to keep it running until no fuel left. Never had a problem starting the next year. No, I did not put any additives in the fuel when I did this. I think the additives create a lot of the problems that people have with carbs being all gummed up when they go to start them the following year. The ethanol tends to eat the rubber diaphragm and the aluminum body of the carburetor and the additives make slug. Just my opinion.
If you think your going to have a bad day you will seldom disappoint yourself!

Offline Arkansaspete2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2020, 08:35 AM »
I went with the Eskimo pistol bit this year and love it. Lite weight, no fumes or gas to mess with and it starts every time. Sold the gaser and will never look back!

That being said, I always dumped the gas out of mine at the end of the season and then ran it until it was dry. Choking it at the end to keep it running until no fuel left. Never had a problem starting the next year. No, I did not put any additives in the fuel when I did this. I think the additives create a lot of the problems that people have with carbs being all gummed up when they go to start them the following year. The ethanol tends to eat the rubber diaphragm and the aluminum body of the carburetor and the additives make slug. Just my opinion.
if the gas is more than a month old don’t use it ,wether it’s your chainsaw,outboard, weedwaker, and any small engine  always run it out of gas before you put it away and start with fresh fuel this will solve most of your problems . A/P  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.