Author Topic: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue  (Read 16480 times)

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Eskimo Pistol Bit Auger issue
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2021, 08:15 AM »
Why won’t the place you bought it at just replace it? Ion service is GREAT, is there anything you’re not telling us?

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:17 AM »
Im positive its the blade pitch, My ion shaver blades came off pitch and would just spin around on the ice. Artisan very good at replacing blades.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 06, 2021, 09:19 PM »
Why won’t the place you bought it at just replace it? Ion service is GREAT, is there anything you’re not telling us?

Ion service is great....I live in a rural area so going to any box store is over 100 miles away...sending stuff back by mail is a pain or they want you to pay shipping in some occasions...it’s just easier to contact the company and they are usually pretty good at fixing the problem by sending replacement parts

Offline 4Buck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2021, 02:09 PM »
Just bought the 8in. Pistol yesterday and put my Ridged Octane on it. Very happy with how it drills, one of the best things I have bought for ice fishing. I am guessing bad blades?

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2021, 04:49 PM »
If its complete out of the box, just box it right back up and send it back. No its not how it should drill.

Wanted to.  Up North Sports sent me to Eskimo.  Not pleased.  Eskimo is sending me new blades.  Still waiting

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2021, 04:51 PM »

Up North Sports is where I bought it.  Online.  They sent me to Eskimo who is sending me blades first.  Tomorrow will be a week.  Not friggun happy

Offline Jgbooboo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 10, 2021, 07:22 PM »
I called Monday cause my bit didn’t work and got my replacement blades on Saturday

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 10, 2021, 08:37 PM »
That would be my last order from Up North Sports. Are they a reputable company or one of those dirty rottin lowball price internet slugs? I’ve never heard of them.

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 11, 2021, 10:58 AM »
I got a new 8” pistol bit last week and tried it on Saturday.  Wouldn’t drill.  I just called them and they said they’re confident it’s a bad batch of blades that went out.  They’re sending me new blades and a new centering point.  If it doesn’t cut through ice like a hot knife through butter, it’s going back.  Question:  Did you guys get an extra set of blades in the original box?  I did.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:22 PM »
I got a new 8” pistol bit last week and tried it on Saturday.  Wouldn’t drill.  I just called them and they said they’re confident it’s a bad batch of blades that went out.  They’re sending me new blades and a new centering point.  If it doesn’t cut through ice like a hot knife through butter, it’s going back.  Question:  Did you guys get an extra set of blades in the original box?  I did.
So both sets of blades you got were bad?  I find it hard to believe it is the blades vs something else.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:30 PM »
So both sets of blades you got were bad?  I find it hard to believe it is the blades vs something else.

Could just be a bad batch of produced blades ..whether installed on the auger or gifted in the box... some retailers were doing the extra blades as an enticement to purchase.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:42 PM »

Nope.  I never said that.  I drilled with the installed set, wouldn’t drill, used a different auger.  Never mounted the other set.  Woman on the phone was surprised that the box had an extra set.

She said she’s confident it’s the blades.  Known issue.  Do you have a pistol bit?

Offline icefishman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:43 PM »
Blades were checked first thing.  They are good.  My old Pistol Bit (gen1) would cut no issues.  This one has the centering bit.  I wonder if it's dull?  That would keep it from going down to allow the shavers to cut.

Why not just keep using your first one and send other one back?
Catching Any?

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 11, 2021, 12:45 PM »
Could just be a bad batch of produced blades ..whether installed on the auger or gifted in the box... some retailers were doing the extra blades as an enticement to purchase.

Good to know.  I never mounted the extra set since I didn’t want to take the time to mount them and go out on the ice before calling Eskimo.  She said she’d send me an extra set also, assuming the ones in the box were part of the bad batch too.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #44 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:13 PM »
Nope.  I never said that.  I drilled with the installed set, wouldn’t drill, used a different auger.  Never mounted the other set.  Woman on the phone was surprised that the box had an extra set.

She said she’s confident it’s the blades.  Known issue.  Do you have a pistol bit?
No I don't own one I was just assuming you already tried the extra set you got in the box. So they could be good huh?
<===Lefty===

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 11, 2021, 01:59 PM »
No I don't own one I was just assuming you already tried the extra set you got in the box. So they could be good huh?

Of course they could be but I’m not going to waste any time with them until I try the new centering point and blades they’re sending me directly so I can troubleshoot with blades they know don’t have a defect.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Jan 11, 2021, 03:48 PM »
If it is the blades I wonder if they had a shipment with blades that have the wrong angle.  If that is the case there is a chance the bad blades can be used with a shim of some sort.
<===Lefty===

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 11, 2021, 04:01 PM »
Well I got an 8" pistol auger last Thursday and took it up this weekend and its total junk. Would not drill into the ice at all, even when I leaned on it way more than I have ever leaned on any auger. Switched to the 6" pistol auger and it cuts in same spot like going thru warm butter with no pressure on it at all. I have lots of Eskimo gear and have been pleased with all of it till now. Time to see how their customer service is....cause this is not right.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 11, 2021, 04:13 PM »
Any augurs not made in china ?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #49 on: Jan 11, 2021, 06:39 PM »
I bought a brand new Ion X 10” 3 years ago. Thing wouldn’t drill worth a damn. I contacted Ion and they sent me a new set of blades.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:01 PM »
I called Eskimo today because my new bit was not cutting..they claim they had a bad batch of blades with the wrong pitch...same problem a couple years ago on my ion ...the ice would build up on the bit and wouldn’t cut and when I called them they said it was a bad batch...I like Eskimo products but you think they would test there products thoroughly before mass producing them

I agree.   Just got the new blades tonight.   Took them 1 week to go from Wisconsin to Iowa via snail mail.   They wouldn't overnight unless I paid for it.

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:04 PM »
If its complete out of the box, just box it right back up and send it back. No its not how it should drill.

I agree!   However Up North Sports, (I purchased online from them) wouldn't take it back until I talked to Eskimo.   Eskimo will not exchange it until I try the new blades which I got tonight 1 week after discussing with them.   1 friggun week!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #52 on: Jan 11, 2021, 08:10 PM »
Hopefully the new blades help.
Just enjoying life

Offline servicce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 12, 2021, 03:15 PM »
To close this out, new blades solved issue.   Also, I noticed the new center bit is 3/16" shorter than the one that was installed when I got it. 

Noticed it when comparing everything last night.   Works now!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 12, 2021, 04:03 PM »
That is great. Just hang onto those old blades because I think a shim will make them work and/or  possibly file down the old center point.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 12, 2021, 10:36 PM »
That is great. Just hang onto those old blades because I think a shim will make them work and/or  possibly file down the old center point.

Just send the old blades off to get sharpened and when they resharpen them it will fix the pitch/angles.

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2021, 04:03 PM »
got my replacement blades for the 8" pistol auger in the mail yesterday and put them on last night ... now to test out on the ice. All in all I will say that Eskimo did good by sending these out, took a bit to get them and it sucks that my new auger has been put to the side all this time but... I can't complain too much
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #57 on: Jan 25, 2021, 05:59 AM »
My buddy just put his cordless drill set up together late yesterday ..Dewalt DCD996/Clam Plate/ 8" Eskimo Pistol Bit ...very similar issues would not cut unless extreme pressure was applied ..he will be making phone contact with Eskimo today ..and his auger did come with a package of extra blades..but he has yet to put them on..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JH57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Try shimming the blades.  A strip of aluminum between the blade and the auger in front of the mounting screws.  A strip of aluminum can or two will probably be all you need.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2021, 10:50 AM »
Has any member put on the "extra supplied blades" that came in the Eskimo Pistol box ? Were they good and cut well ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.