Author Topic: Hey Drifter, any ice up yonder yet ?  (Read 4376 times)

surflizard

Hey Drifter, any ice up yonder yet ?
« on: Sep 20, 2010, 06:40 PM »
Howdy Drifter, how are the temps doing up there in the NWT ? Anything skimming over yet ? Down here, it might reach 34 degrees to night. Just trying to find some ice somewhere !  ;D
                                                                    Surf

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hey Drifter, any ice up yonder yet ?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2010, 08:30 AM »
45f right now, not a bit of ice anywhere. overnights are supposed to be in the low 30's coming this week though.
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2010, 09:04 AM »
That's not good, osopolar ! I figured you folks would be the first ones with the cold weather ? Thanks for your response. Glad to hear from you anyways ! I'm just curious, My dad and I were up in your neck of the woods in the 80s for the dog race at the Pas. Do they still run that race ?

Surflizard

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2010, 05:25 PM »
He must be still chasing the open water big boys. I wish we had fish like that here in Ma...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2010, 05:34 PM »
He hasnt been here in a month..  Warmer there than it is here rite now.. ;D
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?action=profile;u=27736  
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2010, 03:20 AM »
I'm sure Drifter is in Alaska. On his 6th previous post he mentioned on Aug 18th that in 2 weeks he was going to be off to Alaska for 5 and 1/2 weeks for some R&R....So should expect him back mid October. ;D

surflizard

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2010, 03:53 AM »
Hey TGF, hqw goes the battle ? I'm just curious, weren't you on the Ice Fisher Road Video ? That video that he made of that trip amazes me every time I watch it ! Good luck up there this year !
                                                                                          Surf

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:10 AM »
Yes that was Drifter and I on the ice road. Lotsa fun. Battle is going good but like every one else, I"m anxious for ice :P

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2010, 04:17 AM »
I saw dirtofac's post with the small frozen pond up there and its got everyones ice antenna's quivering !!  :roflmao:

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2010, 05:09 AM »
I saw dirtofac's post with the small frozen pond up there and its got everyones ice antenna's quivering !!  :roflmao:
So Sorry!

Drifter should be back online in a couple three days. I only got to fish with him for 2 days. He is a gracious preson full of wit and wisdom. Not as cool as his dog though ;)!!!!

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2010, 05:22 AM »
Nothing better for me than seeing frozen water somewhere Dirt !  :thumbsup: Keep em comin buddy ! Just curious, do you do much Burbot fishing ?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2010, 08:01 PM »
I just got back from Alaska on Sunday. Sorry guys.   ;D
No ice here but I saw quite a bit in the mountains around Glennallen AK, Mentasta AK and through the Western Yukon.

Mike
We'll have to get together again next fall.
Hopefully those Louise lakers will cooperate better then. ;)

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2010, 03:00 AM »
Nothing better for me than seeing frozen water somewhere Dirt !  :thumbsup: Keep em comin buddy ! Just curious, do you do much Burbot fishing ?

Not so far. Seen a couple. One really nice one last year in the boat with the lights on. Didn't get a pic of him but he was LARGE. Head like a soccor ball. 36+ inches long easily. A friend got a 37"er last weekend near my place. I really need to spend some extra time fishing. The cabin has been taking most of my time and energy.

Mike

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2010, 03:08 AM »
Mike
We'll have to get together again next fall.
Hopefully those Louise lakers will cooperate better then. ;)

I will try not to spend 6 days working and partying before you get here. I was a bit worn down. I bought some of the weights frrom B&Js. Can you post a pic of one of them? The 5 OZ one.

The lakers were so ar off this year according to just about everyone. My buddy said he was catching 13-16 inch grayling every cast for several hours last weekend. No lakers.

Been working on an inverter setup. Tired of hearing the generator all day. Started putting the T&G ceiling in. Lots to do. Plan 1 trip before new years, new years bash (if the weather is reasonable) then more and more trips until breakup.

Mike

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I will try not to spend 6 days working and partying before you get here. I was a bit worn down. I bought some of the weights frrom B&Js. Can you post a pic of one of them? The 5 OZ one.

The lakers were so ar off this year according to just about everyone. My buddy said he was catching 13-16 inch grayling every cast for several hours last weekend. No lakers.

Been working on an inverter setup. Tired of hearing the generator all day. Started putting the T&G ceiling in. Lots to do. Plan 1 trip before new years, new years bash (if the weather is reasonable) then more and more trips until breakup.

Mike

Nice!!! She's gonna be real sweet when you're finished building on that thar cabin.  :)
Try and run with a bank of 6volt golf cart batteries for powering up your inverter.
Couple it with a decent solar panel setup and charge controller.
If you want to power lighting as well as stereo and microwave look at an inverter that is 1500-2000 watts.
If you don't plan on running the microwave off the inverter system 1000 watts will be plenty.  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.