Author Topic: Finally made it out. :)  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Finally made it out. :)
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:55 PM »
After a warm early winter followed by two months of liquid nitrogen like temps it finally warmed up and I made it out for the first time this winter.    ::)
I loaded up the sled to head to my favorite little laker lake but missed my turn off. >:(
I ended up riding for a while because the trail I found myself on was just too much fun plus I need to get myself into shape for the big trip in March. I ended up putting about 110 KMs on the sled today with a lot of the riding on tight and twisty trails like this.

I eventually made my way back to the big lake and decided I would run out to some islands and see if I could find some whitefish. The wind had picked up so I took shelter behind one of the islands and checked depth through the ice with my trusty LX-5. First spot 20', nah lets look a little deeper  ;) second spot 30' and I'm marking fish through the ice.  :unsure:
I start up the auger (after changing the plug because I went and flooded it    :pinch:) and drill through 3 1/2 feet of clear black ice. Dropped the transducer in the hole and start marking fish, a good sign.   :thumbsup:
Start my jigging with a 3" hammered 1/2 & 1/2 williams, got a lot of looks but no takers. So I switched to a different rod with a Badd Boyz jig and crappie tube, as soon as I dropped it down the hole fish started swarming it but wouldn't commit.   ???
I eventually tried thumping bottom with it and then slowly raised it about a foot off bottom had a follow and as I moved it up a little bit more the fish drilled it!!!!    :clap: :clap: After 4 or 5 min I get the fish close. I had visions of a sweet 24" whitefish but it wasn't to be. Ended up being a pike about 24". Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.   ;D

Offline Dirtofak

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Finally made it out. :)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 01:58 AM »
Dave,
Nice snotrocket!!! Pretty country too!
Mike

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 02:40 AM »
You big tease.....teased that fish into biting, didn't you ;D
Looks like you got more snow than us right now.
Congrats on getting out.
Nice pike to ward off the dreaded skunk ;)

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 10:28 AM »
You big tease.....teased that fish into biting, didn't you ;D
Looks like you got more snow than us right now.
Congrats on getting out.
Nice pike to ward off the dreaded skunk ;)

More ice too!!!!!   ;D

I did have lots of interest but they just were'nt hitting. 
I only ended up fishing for about 1 1/2 hours because of all the sledding too.   :whistle:

Offline fishingypsie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I FISH WHEN I WANT TO AND WORK WHEN IM FORCED TO
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:15 PM »
how much ice do you guys usally get?
\\\"dont just fish, FISH!\\\"

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:08 PM »
how much ice do you guys usally get?

We usually have about five feet by the end of the season.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:22 PM »
Drifter do you only go fishing for whitefish and laketrout?   Have you ever fished for Walleye's in around Yk?  Thats my favourite fish to go for, and to eat.

I went once a couple of years ago to Johnston Lake and there were just too many people there for me.  :-\
I would go more but I'm not really up to speed on the walleye lakes in the area.
If you know or find out about some good walleye fishing feel free to let me know, will ya?    ;)2

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:17 AM »
lol yah Johnstons can be like caribou carnival at times.  There wasnt a road in there last year, but I heard there might be one this year.  A good lake to fish is duck lake, behind dettah, fish near the two islands.  Also Egg lake, behind Bighill adjacent to Madeline.  If u don't know the whereabouts u can go to anglers atlas and find the maps. I Don't know where to buy frozen minnows anymore now that wolverine closed......but thats all u need, 1/4jig heads(any color, but I like orange) and frozen minnows.  There is also a very good lake behind reid lake.....off the dock straight to the left.....first lake off the trail.

Yeah, it's a good thing I have a 1/2 dozen tubs of those minnows in my freezer.   ;D
I drive over Duck on my way to Mason as it's a nice little laker lake.
I have a ton of maps of the area, other than minnows pretty much the only thing I bought from Wolverine.
They were whining about how the lack of a caribou hunt put them out of business, when the real reason was their unreasonable prices.
If they had competitive prices they would have sold more and made more $$$$ and stayed in business. I looked at augers in there when I first got into town and they were at least 2 or 3 times the price down south.   :nono: :nono:
I ended up buying a 3 hp 10" strikemaster with warranty off ebay $360 delivered to my door. I know they can't compete with that but $800 for the same thing is just gouging.

Let me know if you want to head out some time.  ;)2

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2010, 02:08 PM »
i'm pretty sure gastown still sells tubs of minnows from that freezer outside the front door. i use strips of ciscoe meat and they seem to work fine for jigging. i've only been out once this year so far, i just haven't had the time too busy with work. the one time i did go my wife and i spent the afternoon on that lake next to reid looking for 'eyes. we caught 2 1lb pike and two smallish eye's. nice to get out though.
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline engineman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep your worm wigglin!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Try Pickeral Lake right across the road from Reid. I used to have a cabin on it. Full of walleye and huge pike.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Try Pickeral Lake right across the road from Reid. I used to have a cabin on it. Full of walleye and huge pike.

Thanks.

One of my co-workers has a cabin out there.    ;)2

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2010, 10:46 AM »

I fished Pickerel Lake in the middle of the night last summer, had something heavy on til I got bit off.  How's the laker fishing in Reid Lake?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2010, 02:14 PM »
I fished Pickerel Lake in the middle of the night last summer, had something heavy on til I got bit off.  How's the laker fishing in Reid Lake?

I've never fished Reid. Hidden, Prelude, Jennejohn and Mason are pretty decent though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.