Author Topic: Winter Camping North of 60*  (Read 15640 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
Re: Winter Camping North of 60*
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2009, 11:14 AM »

I winter camp every year, -25° is my personal coldest. A solution to a full bladder is a urinal, not to bad on the rainy nights too.
Back a few years, my buddy and I winter camped on a ridge at 7,800 feet, next to an old dead pine we could salvage dead limbs of for a morning fire.   With double sleeping bags, night before we achieved a snoot full of a number 7 dark label beverage.   It was -30 in town 8 miles from our location.  Buddy says: it's really cold. He's the mountain man type.  I quickly hop out of the two bags, still wearing my fancy synthetic thinsulate bibs, and do the task, he wasn't even close to the meteorological scale with "really cold". The largest hardship was 2 feet of ice, no water in the creek, have to have fire to melt snow, we became very dehydrated in just the first hour of travel the night before. The morning cold was bearable, the dehydration was dangerous.
 Later on, I learned to bring the small bottles of water and save the bottles. They make great temporary urinals for not having to leave the tent, or sleeping bags ...if you're skillful. 15 layers of zippers and cold hands, never wait too long to get the task started-it may take more time than one would anticipate.  Nano seconds count sometimes.
Thread killer

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:28 PM »
Drifter! that looks unreal man! i would love to come up there and fish with you guys! ive been to the Yukon and its surreal, and i have always wanted to hit the NWT. maybe next year ill plan to come up!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2009, 07:10 PM »
Drifter! that looks unreal man! i would love to come up there and fish with you guys! ive been to the Yukon and its surreal, and i have always wanted to hit the NWT. maybe next year ill plan to come up!

Always room for another ice fisher up here.
TGF from BC is heading up here for some fun in late March.  ;)2
I will be posting a mega report of all the fun after the trip.  ;D

Offline swampy45

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • going for the record books
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:02 PM »
march hey??? hmmm. maybe ill come up during reading week at school. we shall have to see!
coffee- do stupid things faster, with more energy.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:36 PM »
Love your stories Drifter. A man is not really living until he knows there is a chance of dieing.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.