The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: spear help  (Read 3467 times)

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
spear help
« on: Dec 15, 2008, 05:55 PM »
I made this spear the other day and wanted to  know what you more experienced guys thought.    It is about three feet long with 3-1/2" tines.  I used a golf club handle.  The tines are close and have smaler barbs due to the target fish.  It waysabout 8oz.  I think it may be to light and short.  Where I live we are allowed to spear only carp, suckers and fall fish.  I plan on being in shallow water(2-5ft)  What do you think??  Thanks in advance

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: spear help
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2008, 06:40 PM »
Can You post a pic?

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2008, 07:04 PM »

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:17 PM »
I made this spear the other day and wanted to  know what you more experienced guys thought.    It is about three feet long with 3-1/2" tines.  I used a golf club handle.  The tines are close and have smaler barbs due to the target fish.  It waysabout 8oz.  I think it may be to light and short.  Where I live we are allowed to spear only carp, suckers and fall fish.  I plan on being in shallow water(2-5ft)  What do you think??  Thanks in advance

When you say "FALL FISH" do you mean you will be spearing in the Fall or are you targeting these fish in the winter in a DARKHOUSE ???

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:11 AM »
Looks good.  Personally I like a handle that is about 6 feet long.  If you will be using it in the fall in shallow water, I would put an 8 foot handle on it.  Not too many fish are going to hold still long enough to let you stand directly over them.  I think you are on the right track.   Good job and good luck!!

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:02 AM »
Well fallfish are like large shiners, I should have mentioned that ;)  I do have a portable dark house to use when we get some ice down here.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:50 AM »
I do`nt know how a red spear will work.I`ve never had any experience with anything but black ones.
Maby I should try a red one as I can`t seem to hit anything with the black ones. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: ;D
Let us know how it works.
The reason I mention this is fish seem to be able to see colors such as red lures Jaurtruse {or however You spell it} and all the other flashy colors and i`m thinking they might spot the spear as You are lowering it in the water to get ready for the strike.
Nice job on the build too. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:12 AM »
the red was the closest paint at the time.  lol   

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:30 AM »
I too, like a 6' or so handle on mine. The barbs look good. Trial and error will be what you need to refine it. :thumbsup:
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:17 PM »
thanks guys.  should i make it heavier?

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2008, 03:50 PM »
thanks guys.  should i make it heavier?
It waysabout 8oz.

Did you mean 8 oz or 8 pounds? 8 Pounds would be about right. Make sure the head has more weight than the rest of it, so it will go straight. After a few misses and a few shake loose, you will have rebuilt it a few time it refine it. I have rebuilt mine a few times. ;D

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:43 PM »
It ways about 8oz. 

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:40 PM »
We use steel rod for the handle.If You used pipe on Yours You can saw it off a few inches from the head and slip a piec of rod about 6 foot long into the pipe and welder down.I would have to go measure the one We built but I think it was 1/2" rod and that gave the spear a nice feel and balance.
Maby Whatpole remembers what diameter of rod We used.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:18 PM »

Ok seeing as how you are targeting some diffrent sized fish you will have to do some trial and error. Here is just some constructive criticism, you're spear should way at least 4 pounds cause I have 2 pike spears and they both way around 6 pound and are about 6ft long so I would say make yours at about 4ft and try to be in at least 5fow if you can. Also if you are going for some carp than  3 1/2" tines will be to small but they may be fine for Fall fish and Suckers, my pike spears tines are at 7 1/2" at the very least. Hope that helps, GOOD LUCK.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2008, 10:36 PM »
It ways about 8oz. 

Ya, I would try to get it at least 4 or 5 pounds for the smaller fish. My spear is for 3 - 26 pound northers, and weighs about 7 or 8 pounds.

Here is a link in the Darkhouse Spearing section for you to look at.
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=89626.0

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2008, 12:45 AM »
Ya, I would try to get it at least 4 or 5 pounds for the smaller fish. My spear is for 3 - 26 pound northers, and weighs about 7 or 8 pounds.

What he said.  A darkhouse spear should weigh from 6-8 lbs and balance from 4"-8" behind the head. 

you will have to do some trial and error.
Before I finish building a spear I am already planning changes for the next one.  Building spears can be addictive, lol. 

Also if you are going for some carp than  3 1/2" tines will be to small but they may be fine for Fall fish and Suckers, my pike spears tines are at 7 1/2" at the very least. Hope that helps, GOOD LUCK.
I agree w/ Higgins on the tine lengths.  7"-9" is about right.

My first attempts at spears were pretty ugly, but you learn a few more things w/ everyone you build.  Your on the right track, and it looks good.  When you finally get one that's just right, you will have a lot of pride in it.  Best of luck!!

Offline flik n dip

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2008, 07:07 AM »
Thanks guys you were alot of help.  I will make it heavier.   I may just make another for the carp,  bigger.

Offline carper34

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I only angle through ice
« Reply #17 on: Dec 21, 2008, 11:42 PM »
ok monkey, back the heck down, you dont spear, fine, dont bash our sport. a real sportman wouldnt.

as far as the spear you made goes, you will want to make it heavier.
spears arent thrown, they are more dropped, especially on smaller fish to keep the accurcy on the release.
but trial and error will show you jus what you want, thats the only way to make a spear you yourself will be happy with.
good luck with it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.