The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice block in or ice block out???  (Read 2852 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Ice block in or ice block out???
« on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:51 PM »
I have been spearing for about 5 or 6 years and I was wondering if any one knows why you should take your ice block out. The only reason I can think of is if you have a portable shanty and then you could put it back in the hole after you where done, other than that reason it can just be shoved under the ice. RIGHT ???

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Ice block in or ice block out???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:25 PM »
I take it out so I can put it back in when I am done for the day (freezes up faster). I try to mark the hole the best I can so no one accidently take a dip. ;) ;D
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #2 on: Dec 14, 2008, 11:40 PM »
I take it out so I can put it back in when I am done for the day (freezes up faster). I try to mark the hole the best I can so no one accidently take a dip. ;) ;D

Yup, I mark my hole to with a small pine tree at the end of the season. But the block of ice should not make any difference cause I don't take my shanty off for over a month once it's out. Any one else no why you would take the ice block out ???

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2008, 12:05 AM »
I take it out when im spearing in shallow water.  Most of my favorite spots are two to five feet of water underneath two feet plus of ice usually.  I just think it helps with visibility then.  Most the time I am in a portable too so it comes out to go back down the hole later.

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:58 AM »
Yup, I mark my hole to with a small pine tree at the end of the season. But the block of ice should not make any difference cause I don't take my shanty off for over a month once it's out. Any one else no why you would take the ice block out ???

I guess it wouldn't make any difference if you don't move your house.  :)
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2008, 01:16 AM »
If the ice is over 6" or 8" thick, I thick it spooks the fish a little if you shove it under the ice.  I have done it with ice that was over 12" thick and the fish didn't want to come at my decoy as eagerly.  I also take my block out to put back in the hole when I'm done for the day.  Just my $.02.

Offline spearchucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:37 PM »
I pull it out, there is no reason to leave it in to possibly spook fish. We are required by law to clearly mark an abandoned hole here in MN. I shove the old blocks back in to the hole and shove a small tree branch or cat tail in the hole to mark it. Snowmobilers don't take kindly to blocks left on the surface for them to hit.

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:48 PM »
I pull it out, there is no reason to leave it in to possibly spook fish. We are required by law to clearly mark an abandoned hole here in MN. I shove the old blocks back in to the hole and shove a small tree branch or cat tail in the hole to mark it. Snowmobilers don't take kindly to blocks left on the surface for them to hit.

I appreciate the advice, but like I said before "I leave my shanty up for months" and the only reason it comes off is when the ice is unsafe. I can see how it might spook fish so I will make a good effort to take it out each time. O and Yes, I also mark my hole with a small pine tree at the end of the year, IT'S JUST COMMON SENCE, people who don't mark there holes need to be hit up side the head with a 2 by 4  >:( .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.