The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's your water depth?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
What's your water depth?
« on: Nov 20, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Do you guys typically spear in a certain range of water under the ice (from bottom of lake to bottom of ice)? If so, what is your range? Also, do you typically cut your holes in places that were good producing areas in the summer time, or, do you use other criteria when selecting your winter spearing locations? Thanks for the help, wanting to learn....never done it yet!

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: What's your water depth?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2013, 10:11 PM »
I don't do any summer fishing so I cant help you there.

I tend to sit a little in a little deeper water then a lot of guys. The area I put my perm house is anywhere from 12 to 18 or so feet deep.  I try to sit right on the edge of a weed line.
Know before you throw

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:06 PM »
just like mj I like deeper water, but it depends on the lake I set up from 3' to 25' deep I like a weed edge or right on a fast drop
I don't spear in my summer spots, find food and cover and the pike will be there.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2013, 05:54 PM »
I like weeds, I also like being able to see the bottom. Most of the lakes I spear on are 10' and less. I have also had some very good luck seeing bigger fish in under 3' of water. As stated, find the food and you will find the pike.

WS

Offline spear_chucker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Have you guys noticed them sticking to deeper weed lines later in the year?  It seems like the shallow weed lines 6'-10' cool off early January.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2013, 07:57 AM »
I like weeds, I also like being able to see the bottom. Most of the lakes I spear on are 10' and less. I have also had some very good luck seeing bigger fish in under 3' of water. As stated, find the food and you will find the pike.

WS
I start spearing about jan 1st so I don't notice a change

Offline MJ1657

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2013, 12:11 PM »
I start spearing about jan 1st so I don't notice a change

I usually move deeper later in the season.
Know before you throw

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2013, 09:42 AM »
My biggest fish have come from 8-10 fow
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I usually setup in about 6 ’- 12’ and always close to a drop off that has deep water vegetation depending on snow cover and time of year. The big thing I try remember is that the longer the snow cover is on the ice the less oxygen is produced by the vegetation is the shallow water because of the low light conditions and the colder water at the top of the water column. This is why the bait fish move on to the deep water weeds later in the season because they keep producing oxygen in low light conditions.   

Offline crittrgittr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2013, 04:48 PM »
I do about the same as runout. 6'-12' depending on water clarity. Like weed edges or drop-offs to set up on.
A combo of both weeds and drop-off is better yet.
Will setup in deeper water if its clear. But still run the decoy higher to pull the fish up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.