The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bench height for my new ice house?  (Read 4830 times)

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
Bench height for my new ice house?
« on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:50 PM »
Hi all, I have been spearing for two years now out of my portable and am just finishing my first permanent dark house. It is 4'x6' with a with a 2'x4' hole. My question is on bench height. I am 6' 2" tall and the only thing I don't like about spearing out of my portable besides the setup/tare-down is the height of the seats in it (too short to be over the hole like I "think" I should be). Is there a standard height that people use or just whatever feels comfortable.

Offline spearingMN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bench height for my new ice house?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:05 AM »
Im 5' 10" and mine are 18" tall to the top of the ply wood then i have 2 3/4" of foam on top. so i would go a inch or two higher for your height.

Offline Stewie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Your kitchen chairs are 18 inches to the seat. Sit on one and see if it seems like the right height. If not, work from there. ;)

Offline PikeSticker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another day at the office~!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2011, 03:01 AM »
I'm also 6'2" and you definitely want to make sure your seat is at least high enough where your butt/thigh and lower leg are at a comfortable 90 degrees. You will be sitting a lot of hours sometimes and its much easier to just lean forward over the hole from that high position to line up the spear on target than if you are sitting too low.  I've seen several spearos using those plastic patio stacking chairs for a comfortable and effective seat. (You can nap in them pretty good too.)  And two can be easily stacked for storage in the same space as one in case you have a friend hanging out in the house on some days. My shack is 4 x 6 1/2 and has enough room for a second observer.
~~~ Keep your powder dry and your nose to the wind~!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day~!

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:40 AM »
I'm 6'5"........ tried quite a few ideas, everything from buckets on up......the best so far for me is the 'hobbie mechanic stool', it adjusts up and down pnuematically and swivels which help with fatigue, there is a tray directly above the casters, that is real handy when changing out decoys in the dark. cost $25 on sale, $35 if not, it looks like the stool the doctors use in their office.

A new idea for this year is the 3 dollar yard sale "super adjustable office chair" I picked up this summer , I adjusted it so it leans way,way forward, because we always do that trying to see under the ice,  and it has soft arm rests, never had arm rests,  very soft chair, I can see myself falling asleep in it............and missing the big one.....

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:45 AM »
My bench is 18" to the frame, and another 1.5" pad. Seems about right with boots on.

Offline akwawe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:57 AM »
I put my adjustable boat seat in mine so I can fine tune it.

Offline runout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Thanks for all the advice I ended up adjusting my drum-throne to the height that I wanted and put a tape on it. It ended up 21" so I built the bench at 19 1/2" and have 1 1/2" for padding.

Offline gooseblaster49707

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:55 PM »
ditch the bench unless you are going to sleep on it.   they take up too much space and are generally a pain.   take a folding chair for each person that will be in the shack. add a boat seat/cushion for warmth/height and bungee cord the extras to the wall.     move anywhere you want, at any angle you want, whenever. stand, stretch, etc.  if you want to nap, hang a hammock, close off the harpoon hole and relax.   don't like a hammock, have a foldable cot bungeed' to the wall. pull it down, nap, fold it back up and sit in your chair.  my thoughts only.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:14 PM »
I find that if the chair is too low you can't see as well and I like a taller chair. I also like to use folding or pack chairs, but there not all created equal some of my favorite camp chairs are a pain in the neck in the shack.  @)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.