The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: "To much light and noise"  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
"To much light and noise"
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Here in Michigan we have had a week of warm weather during the day and cold weather at night with NO SNOW so the lakes are clear of most if not all snow allowing allot of light to get through the ice and along with the warm and then cold it has also been making allot of noise since the ice is being made new almost every day.

So here is my question:
Do you think the pike get spooked from the added light coming through the ice (I know that allot of animals calm down when you throw a towel over there head) and your shanty might stick out like a sore thumb with the shaded area on the ice and the pike might not come in because they are skidish. Also do you think the popping of the ice scares them  :-\(yes I know that they deal with it all the time but the ice scares the crap out of me some times  ;D )

Any thoughts  ??? 

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: "To much light and noise"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:32 PM »
These are very interesting observations.  It does make me wonder also.  I have had another very slow weekend.  0 pike and 20 gills total for the weekend.  what I am observing is that the fish are not as active as they were 2 - 3 weeks ago.  Why I don't know.  I pushed my shanty off the hole this mourning due to the rain, and did not fish.  However a couple of guys that are right by me on the same weed line have speared 4 since Thurs.  Just like your conditions,  we are getting the snow from shore with a sled and bringing it out to pack around the house.  Going by the other guys success,  as far as the house showing up as a dark shadow, I believe that it doesn't effect them if they are decoying.  The ice popping is a very good question. 

Yeah these questions are just me thinking of things while I wait for the big one. I have seen 6 this year on the lake that I just moved to 2 weeks ago but only 2 have been of legal size and one of which was missed by my cousin who has only speared 2 or 3 times before and his skills are not up to par. I also had to take both me and my dads shanty off the ice and put them on the shore until I figure Thursday or Friday and I can't wait to see what the new locations bring.........I kinda look at it like changing the channel on the "big screen fish TV"  8)

Offline nin akawawa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Tradewell Decoys
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Ive seen a fish that has decoyed into the hole and has been spooked by the ice cracking.  But ive also dropped things on the floor and even had the door open and they have not spooked.  I dont think i will ever figure them out.
I just go out there day by day do'n the best I can.  Some day I be the hero some day I be the goat.....Today I be the goat. (Kirby Puckett)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Ive seen a fish that has decoyed into the hole and has been spooked by the ice cracking.  But ive also dropped things on the floor and even had the door open and they have not spooked.  I dont think i will ever figure them out.

Now that's the truth............I don't think any one has the right to say they have the fish all figured out. Fish do what they do and when they want to do it but I still find my self trying to figure them out  :blink:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.