The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anchors  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Anchors
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:36 PM »
What kind of Anchors do you use to hold down your shanty  ???

I have eyelets coming from 2 sides of my shanty that I then tie a piece of rope to another eyelet that is about 6 inches long that I drill into the ice on a angle.

Offline the harvester

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: "Blocks and anchors"
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:46 PM »
auger two holes next to each other slip a rope through them and hook it to the shanty

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:38 PM »
I always use a couple of untreated 2x4 under each corner. They can usually be found for free somewhere.
Being as we usually have plenty of snow on our ice in Alaska I have never tied mine down or had any problems with it. I usually bank snow around it after blocking.
My friends dad used to cut a slice of firewood to the desired thickness and placed a slice under each corner.
Not sure there is a better way or if it really makes much difference. If I freeze my blocks in they usually can be chipped free. If not untreated 2x4 isn't really going to do any harm.
Chris
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:05 AM »
I always use a couple of untreated 2x4 under each corner. They can usually be found for free somewhere.
Being as we usually have plenty of snow on our ice in Alaska I have never tied mine down or had any problems with it. I usually bank snow around it after blocking.
My friends dad used to cut a slice of firewood to the desired thickness and placed a slice under each corner.
Not sure there is a better way or if it really makes much difference. If I freeze my blocks in they usually can be chipped free. If not untreated 2x4 isn't really going to do any harm.
Chris

Wow, if I only put 2 by 4's under my shanty than my shanty would be frozen in by the end of the week. I use 4 by 4's and the water still evens out with my shanty due to the flooding. I have to use anchors mainly because we usually get a few weeks of melting each year and then that's all it takes is a good stiff wind to push it over or to send it to the other side of the lake.

Blocks was a pretty stupid post because it's not like there are many things other than wood to put under the shanty  :-\

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anchors
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:01 AM »
 Yeah a 2x4 isn't much that's why I stack them up usually 2 under each corner. Where I am at the bottom 2x4 usually freezes down but the top one can be broke free fairly easily. Wood is so simple and cheap I have not really pondered much else.
I hate those midwinter warm spells especially if it rains as has happened here at least once every year for the last few.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.